• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Fall Edition (#4) Round 3
7 7

117 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

(worship)

Two! Two points on zis round of ze contest most difficult, Ah-ha-ha-ha-hah!

countvoncount.gif.7dcba9f468f9bef3b994ca2ea0d4fc34.gif

On 11/8/2022 at 11:39 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I really missed the pier on the Swamp Thing, and had it at 5.5 for the large gash. Four of the 5 books I had graded  more harshly than GCG, with the only exception being Captain Flight, as I had it at 6.0.  doh!

A lot of people hit that book hard. It was a 9.2-9.4 book for me otherwise though. I personally didnt think a 4 point grade bump was fair so I went with roughly a 2.0 point grade bump and it worked 

I've mentioned before that things are a bit different than the old days.

I'm always reminded of my ASM 6 that dropped from 9.0 to 7.5, because an even smaller piece came off the bottom of the back cover.

If this was 15 years ago, I would have called it 7.0, but that's why I bumped it to 7.5 now.

1 bullseye, everything else pretty close, mostly at half a point/grade. Had Capt Flight at 5.5, Surfer at 8.5. Biggest different was the JIM, which I had a 3.0. I just can't give a book with two big pieces missing like that a 4.0. Can't and won't! Bah! :sumo:

Otherwise this whole game has been pretty reassuring, that my grading is pretty solid. I have missed a couple, but nothing has been embarrassingly off. I can live with it.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, Point Five said:

That Swamp Thing!  :whatthe:

If you sell me a raw 7.5 with a gash out of the back like that, you may as well include a return shipping label.  :gossip:

I wanted to give it a qualified grade.  :cool:

On 11/8/2022 at 10:19 PM, AJD said:

I thought that might have been a printing problem, with the paper tearing where it was grabbed to be pulled through the press or assembly step. I discounted it because of that and gave the book an 8.0 otherwise. Close but - as :censored: usual - no cigar.

I just noticed that the grading notes Mike posted refer to the back cover gash as a 'small chip'.  :insane:

1330829003_ScreenShot2022-11-09at2_42_40PM.thumb.png.5315ece227e3d5b529bfec6ca8c434d1.png

On 11/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, Point Five said:

I just noticed that the grading notes Mike posted refer to the back cover gash as a 'small chip'.  :insane:

experiment-nakedgum.gif.e99cdc4d305f13a9ce4c3076306b561c.gif

On the Swamp Thing I gave a 7.0 but can see 7.5. It’s not just a tear, it almost should be considered a small missing piece. A regular tear would not be as bad a hit. 

surprised the journey got a 4.0 as the 3 missing pieces total accumulation puts it as a pretty big missing junk. I get the other total Accumulation of defects is lower, but that’s still pretty big missing piece accumulation. 

Still lots to learn and these contests help for sure.