• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did anyone get the new Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics yet? I did. Here is my initial feedback.
1 1

23 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2022 at 6:33 AM, jeffreyk said:

I received mine a few days ago. In my opinion, this book is a must have for anyone buying or selling comic books.  It is very well written and organized. I especially like that one full page is devoted to each of the  over 100 defects that can be present In a  comic book along with photos of each one.

The only thing I would add for the next edition would be additional pictures of comic books in each grade in the numerical grading section, sort of like the Overstreet Grading Guide. It would be nice to see 3 or 4 examples of books in each grade, showing how books with different defects can arrive at the same grade.

All in all, a fantastic book that I will refer to often.  It is not only a terrific reference guide, but is also fun to read.

Thank you Matt and CGC.  I have been waiting for a book like this for a long time!

On 10/23/2022 at 8:00 PM, valiantman said:

In my prediction, the ages will become "the decades" at some point. Sure, the Golden Age and Silver Age labels might survive, but Bronze Age is basically "the 1970s", and "the 1970s" doesn't need any explanation or argument that it isn't "third best". The 1980s, 1990s, etc., forget the silly periodic table references (and we're out of Olympic medals) so just stick with the decade.  Problem solved. 

Those who enjoy debating the ages should continue to do so, but they should move the discussion to the windmills they've been trying to kill with a lance.  (The people who are still debate the ages at this point should get the reference.)

On 10/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Kevin76 said:

As I'm reading through the grading guide and their defects, Let me clarify a few things since Matt Nelson isn't an expert in printing defects.  

Blade pulls Page 138

Blades don't pull the paper through the press, Nip rollers do. (Little wheels with rubber on them) The nip rollers are also too tight causing the wrinkle in the paper

Ink Distortion Page 169

No such thing as "ink bubbles" .  

This type of defect is only caused by the oven temperature running too high on the press that dries the paper causing blisters in the paper, especially on coated paper. 

Ink Lift Page 170  

For the last time... Ink rollers do NOT touch the paper.  They only touch the printing plate, which then touches the blanket cylinder, which touches the paper  (think rubber stamps)  Same idea  

So these "Ink lifts" are from a dirty blanket where the paper dust builds up on the blanket like feels like brail. The blanket  (giant sheet of rubber)  needs to be washed. 

Ink Missing Page 171

Pictures shown Batman 232 looks like a printing plate was washed while the press was still running

2nd picture shows what a cracked printing plate looks like

Picture 3 (back cover)  Looks like a roller to the plate is chewed up in the red

Ink Smear Page 173 

Dirty blanket in the black unit  

Register Page 190

Misaligned printing plates 95% of the time, unless there is tension problems or the cylinders are out of time from the plate to the blanket  (The plate and blanket gaps need to be in time with each other) 

Printer Crease Page 194 

Either tension problems in the infeed before the units causing a wrinkle or it's a crease from the crusher being too tight

Siamese Pages Page 204 

Book not being trimmed to correct size

Staple Recessed Page 223

I blame CCS for too much pressure  lol 

Vein Page 239

100% a bad roll of paper, has nothing to do with the printing press

On 11/2/2022 at 8:21 PM, FFB said:

Last month, I was really excited to see that CGC had released a new grading guide.  For many years, a big complaint from the hobby had been the fact that CGC did not publish its grading standards.  Now, at last, the curtain would be pulled back and those grading standards would be revealed!  Right?  Well, not exactly.

Those of you who know me know that I am a grading nerd.  I'm a lawyer, so I am very rules-oriented.  I've owned a copy of every edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide since it was a 100 point scale.  My 2nd Edition got so worn out that I took it to my printer to comb bind the spine for me, as it was falling apart.  I use my 6th edition copy just about every day.  Although not perfect (the pictures are still too small even in the larger 6th edition), the Overstreet Grading Guide has been my go-to for grading since I first started using it all those years ago.

But, as much as I love my OGG, I was ready to chuck it aside if CGC could publish a grading guide that was superior to the Overstreet guide.  As soon as I could place an order, I jumped on the CGC store site and the book was on its way.  After a couple/three weeks in transit, it finally arrived!  I was so excited that I cut open the box and started devouring the book.

My initial impression was one of excitement.  This book is BIG.  I mean Heritage catalog size.  Pictures of comics are actual size. 

There is tons of information in this book, too.  Information on pedigrees, restoration, common printing defects and other issues, and a list of every type of defect they could think of, with a description and a picture or two. 

Where the book is lacking, in my view, is in the actual explanation of clear grading standards, i.e., "What is allowed and not allowed in each grade?" 

One of the areas where I feel the Overstreet guide does a good job is that every level of the grading scale has a full page description of what is allowed and not allowed in each grade.  This page of text is very well organized and succinct, and is followed by several pages of pictured examples of books that exhibit the type and quantity of defects that are allowed in the grade.  In my view, this is what is most helpful in a grading guide, as "a picture is worth a thousand words," so the saying goes.  The only downside to the Overstreet guide is that the pictures are not full size, so a lot of the defects are not shown clearly.  But this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that many different examples of books at each grade level, with different types and numbers of defects, are shown.

The CGC guide, on the other hand, uses only ONE example for each grade level - and in each case, it's a different copy of Incredible Hulk 181.  All the way to Gem Mint 10.0, I might add, even though no Gem Mint 10.0 copy of Hulk 181 exists in the CGC census.  doh!  So did the owner of this million dollar book just decide not to get it graded?  Or is it not really a 10.0, but rather, a book that looks like a 10.0 in the picture? 

There are multiple problems with this "only one copy of the same book used in every grade" approach.  First, it does not show how one grades a squarebound, which tends to have different defects than a saddle stitched book.  Second, by using only one copy of one book to illustrate a grade, it does nothing to educate the reader about how different types and quantities of defects may be permitted at different grade levels, or what defects are acceptable in certain eras but not in others.  Third, I'm sick of looking at Hulk 181 after a few pages.  I spent good money on this thing - how about a little variety to spice up a pretty dense read? 

I'm not sure what the thinking was in doing things this way, but the result is that the CGC grading guide reads less like a grading guide and more like a bunch of different books on comic history, pedigree history, the history of CGC's labeling styles, restoration detection and quantification, international editions of comic books, and finally, at the end, a bit about grading.  The actual grading section of the book is roughly 20% of the pages.  The rest is everything else.  It's all interesting reading.  There's nothing wrong with having it in this book, or even better, in a different book.  But what I was looking for, and did not get, was a grading guide that was at least as thorough as the Overstreet guide at going through multiple examples at each grade level to teach the reader visually what defects are allowed in which grade.  Another gripe is that, although most of the pictures are good for what they are, the least valuable pictures in the whole book are the ones used to demonstrate page quality.  They are too dark!  Literally ALL of them are too dark.  The white page picture is a muddied gray.  So are the pictures of Off-White to White, Off-White, and Cream to Off-White.  They are so dark that it's impossible to tell the difference between the levels of page quality.  doh!

One final bit of constructive criticism is that it's not particularly well organized.  If I had to use this as a grading guide, I would constantly be flipping back and forth between the grading levels in the index of grades and trying to find the couple of helpful charts that show what range of grades certain defects are allowed in, and the page quality section, which are not next to each other. 

I can't really see myself using this CGC Grading Guide on a regular basis.  I might use it as occasional reference if I'm looking at the effect that a particular defect may have in the hands of a CGC grader, but this is, to me, the only real value in this book.  It is by no means a grading guide in the way that the Overstreet guide is. 

Having said all of that, if this book were reworked to address these issues, I would happily buy a second edition.  But if it is just a second edition with a single copy of Amazing Spider-Man 129 at each grade level, along with the same bunch of extraneous information on international editions, pedigrees, and other stuff that I don't care to have in a grading guide, I'll skip it.

I know a lot of work went into this book, so I don't want to hurt feelings or come across as too harsh.  It's just that this book was an opportunity to show "how to grade a book the CGC way," and on that, it falls well short of the mark. 

Since you asked here a few excerpts and the thread from which they come, a couple of these are reviews from the thread that are towards the end.

And as always, thanks for the review!

Unfortunately there is no "black and white" in grading comic books, there are lots of "gray" areas such as a book that would otherwise be a NM 9.4 but has a small piece (1/8-1/4") missing from a corner or edge (this is only allowed in books VG+ 4.5 and lower), how much of a hit does the otherwise NM 9.4 take, there is nothing in the grading standards to cover this which means it is all up to the grader to decide and his/her perception can change day to day, after all, we are only human.

Comic books are not always assigned a grade by their worst defect only, when they can publish in writing how much of a hit a higher grade book takes for only one defect not allowed in that grade it is still just a guess, how much of a hit does an otherwise NM 9.4 take for a small tear, small piece missing, small crease, folded corner, slight spine roll, color break, foxing, etc.? IMO, this is the part of the grading system that needs to be clarified and until it is there will always be contradictions/disagreements on grades. :preach:

On 11/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Unfortunately there is no "black and white" in grading comic books, there are lots of "gray" areas such as a book that would otherwise be a NM 9.4 but has a small piece (1/8-1/4") missing from a corner or edge (this is only allowed in books VG+ 4.5 and lower), how much of a hit does the otherwise NM 9.4 take, there is nothing in the grading standards to cover this which means it is all up to the grader to decide and his/her perception can change day to day, after all, we are only human.

Comic books are not always assigned a grade by their worst defect only, when they can publish in writing how much of a hit a higher grade book takes for only one defect not allowed in that grade it is still just a guess, how much of a hit does an otherwise NM 9.4 take for a small tear, small piece missing, small crease, folded corner, slight spine roll, color break, foxing, etc.? IMO, this is the part of the grading system that needs to be clarified and until it is there will always be contradictions/disagreements on grades. :preach:

I agree completely.  This is why the Overstreet Grading Guide's method of showing multiple examples of different comics with different defects in each grade is so important and helpful. 

I would also really appreciate seeing the initial text that appears at the beginning of each grade level be expanded to two or three pages to better explain the basics of each grade level and to address and include the various "limiting defects" that cause a book to top out at a specific grade.  Further, it would be helpful to include in this section the defects that no longer affect the grade (like distributor ink at VG+ 4.5 and below).  The chart is helpful and should continue to be included at the very beginning of the grading section, but the guide would be better if there were clearer, better organized, written standards preceding the pictures showing examples of each grade.  The same applies to the page color section - that section should be at the beginning of the grading section, not buried amid a bunch of other unrelated subjects.  And fix the pictures for God sake. 

The bones of a great grading guide are here in the CGC Grading Guide.  I just think that if CGC takes this feedback into account, the second edition will be the best grading guide available. 

• Administrator

Hi Scott, I appreciate you taking the time to review the book. Good information that will certainly be taken into consideration for future editions. I welcome feedback from others as well!  

I do want to address a few things you mention; yes, there is plenty of information that doesn't necessarily pertain to grading defects, like the pedigree and reprint/variant sections. But these attributes are an essential part of the "grading" process that establishes value and demand. A significant portion of the guide's audience may not know things you and I learned a long time ago, like label categories, enhancement, ideal storage conditions, or even how to properly handle a book. 

There are grade range cutoffs for many defects listed in the index of grades, and also throughout several other areas in the book, particularly for certain defects in the defect section. Some defects are impossible to quantify or provide cutoffs, like stains, tanning and foxing. But the majority of comics exhibit a combination of defects, and to cover most, or even a significant range of those combinations would require way more than 1, 5 or even 10 pictures per grade, especially in the lower grades.

The guide was laid out to flow from the most broad topics to a granular level, and is meant to give collectors the tools to grade. Accurate grading ultimately requires handling thousands of books--something no grading guide can teach in 350 pages. For new collectors, this book establishes a solid foundation to build on, but there's also plenty of detailed information for the more seasoned collectors. 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, mnelsonCGC said:

Hi Scott, I appreciate you taking the time to review the book. Good information that will certainly be taken into consideration for future editions. I welcome feedback from others as well!  

I do want to address a few things you mention; yes, there is plenty of information that doesn't necessarily pertain to grading defects, like the pedigree and reprint/variant sections. But these attributes are an essential part of the "grading" process that establishes value and demand. A significant portion of the guide's audience may not know things you and I learned a long time ago, like label categories, enhancement, ideal storage conditions, or even how to properly handle a book. 

There are grade range cutoffs for many defects listed in the index of grades, and also throughout several other areas in the book, particularly for certain defects in the defect section. Some defects are impossible to quantify or provide cutoffs, like stains, tanning and foxing. But the majority of comics exhibit a combination of defects, and to cover most, or even a significant range of those combinations would require way more than 1, 5 or even 10 pictures per grade, especially in the lower grades.

The guide was laid out to flow from the most broad topics to a granular level, and is meant to give collectors the tools to grade. Accurate grading ultimately requires handling thousands of books--something no grading guide can teach in 350 pages. For new collectors, this book establishes a solid foundation to build on, but there's also plenty of detailed information for the more seasoned collectors. 

:headbang: Thanks for feedback/feedback! :x

On 11/3/2022 at 12:43 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

Is this a bad time to ask for DC custom labels? 

On 11/3/2022 at 12:43 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

I would love to know more about foxing, and how on earth  books with that defect garner NM grades???

On 11/3/2022 at 9:43 AM, mnelsonCGC said:

Matt,

I appreciate the reply and appreciate even more the herculean task you undertook to get this book published.  While my review primarily focused on what I saw as the guide's shortcomings, I hope that it did not seem that I do not like or appreciate the book at all.  I'm still glad I bought it and it does have some very good information.  I just won't be using it as much as I use the Overstreet guide, because the Overstreet guide is a more useful tool right now for figuring out where a book falls on the scale. 

That said, if you would flesh out and organize the text sections at the beginning of each grade level and include 5 or 6 examples from each grade level in the next edition, it will make it a much more useful "grading guide" and I could see it being my go-to when grading books.  I would even happily buy an "Expanded Edition" where you add more pictures and leave the rest of the guide as is.  Take my money, please!  :cloud9:lol 

Thanks again,

Scott

My expectations were pretty high before I got the book.  Because I thought Matt would do a great job.

After receiving the book and going through it, I have to say that I am shocked to report that the book has far exceeded my high expectations (which I had imagined would be very difficult to do).

Such an awesome book in every way.  Not a great job by Matt, instead: a spectacular job!  :golfclap:

Thanks for an invaluable resource, Matt.  I've had it for less than 2 weeks, and in addition to going though various parts of it, I have actually used the book to help me with grading comics at least half a dozen times already.

"But the majority of comics exhibit a combination of defects, and to cover most, or even a significant range of those combinations would require way more than 1, 5 or even 10 pictures per grade, especially in the lower grades."

Will there be an online version of the book? If so, maybe a larger, more comprehensive spread of additional examples of the various grades and defects allowed per grade would be much easier to include versus a printed book. 2c

On 11/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, mnelsonCGC said:

Is this guide used by new employees for learning to grade, or do you have a different in house guide for CGC "consistent" grading? 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I would love to know more about foxing, and how on earth  books with that defect garner NM grades???

Similarly I was surprised to learn a book could have minor staple rust and still get a 9.4. Although the book doesn’t say so, i now understand cgc is expressing their belief that assuming proper storage conditions the rust will not advance 

having said that, I love the book and am happy to have it. I have reviewed the grades on my books and have a better idea on how the number at the top was attained. The books I thought overgraded or under graded now make more sense to me.