• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Universe live movies, TV, animation, gaming roadmap
4 4

286 posts in this topic

I wonder what this means for any Black Adam spin-off projects, aka JSA projects. It was a certainty, and James Gunn did post a pic of Mr Terrific a week or two ago. I hope we find out what the deal is soon, the wait is killing me. 

Edited by Cat

On 12/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, Cat said:

I wonder what this means for any Black Adam spin-off projects, aka JSA projects. It was a certainty, and James Gunn did post a pic of Mr Terrific a week or two ago. I hope we find out what the deal is soon, the wait is killing me. 

I'm fine with the wait. Rushing, and constantly changing direction is what sank it last time.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:15 PM, Cat said:

Hard to imagine any Black Adam spin offs at this point.  I think Black Adam is very dead in the new DC universe.  At least for a while.  And if the character does return, it probably won't be the Rock again.  Black Adam is the old DC.  They are (apparently) cleaning house here.  

On 12/14/2022 at 4:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

With the series of articles that have come out lately referencing 'WB executives' as sources it is interesting how James Gunn and now Patty Jenkins have been able to shoot holes in the stories. Including how Patty Jenkins refused to rewrite a --script and stormed off when asked to fit the go-forward plan (which hasn't even been announced yet).

Crazy how folks on here are gravitating to all the negative news, and celebrating it, too. Yet still each of these news ducks gets shot down each time.

(shrug)

Apparently James Gunn is an imbecile. Moving on with Superman without Henry Cavill? The new DCU is dead before it even starts.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, D84 said:

It will be interesting to see how DC movies do next year. Since it seems like they are starting completely over, it might tank them, but you never know.

What's the point of watching any of it, now? I was excited for The Flash, and Aquaman, and now... Why should I bother...?

On 12/15/2022 at 4:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They put a lot into The Flash. With Cavill now gone for certain, what fanbase is even going to show up for it?

Maybe the fans that liked the Batman will stick around...........................

I like Cavill in general, though he really didn't do anything for me at all as Superman.  He wasn't bad...just didn't stand out for me like he has for so many others.  The fact that I LOVE Affleck as Batman (my favorite, by far) shows that I might just be a contrarian ;).  Affleck doing a real Dark Knight Returns adaptation would finally be incredible.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, davidpg said:

I like Cavill in general, though he really didn't do anything for me at all as Superman.  He wasn't bad...just didn't stand out for me like he has for so many others.  

I felt he truly embodied Superman. Best Superman yet.    But, in Gunn I trust.   If Gunn could make excited about D-list characters, I could only imagine what the DCU has in store.  As much as I loved Cavill playing Superman, I am bullish on the future of the DCU.    

On 12/15/2022 at 6:48 PM, eastriver400 said:

I felt he truly embodied Superman. Best Superman yet.    But, in Gunn I trust.   If Gunn could make excited about D-list characters, I could only imagine what the DCU has in store.  As much as I loved Cavill playing Superman, I am bullish on the future of the DCU.    

I loved Cavill as Superman too and I’m disappointed to see him gone.

It sounds like it could be a full reboot happening now to completely remove any prior story/baggage etc for all characters. I don’t see how they can cherry pick any of the other existing incarnations if the main guys gone.

Not sure how that works with the upcoming films due for release, unless they go ahead and use the Flash movie to do the big reset and then from there it starts with the new DCU. Pretty sure it’s the last release on the current slate?

It would still leave a door open just in case anyone returned down the line in a crisis type appearance. Even The Rocks Black Adam could be out there somewhere! I was hoping he’d get another chance with the character squaring up against some of the big guns.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, eastriver400 said:

Im starting to believe all the Jason Mamoa playin Lobo speculation is true.

I highly doubt it will be first. Superman will be.  

I agree. I think that is what all the Gunn news is stating.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, eastriver400 said:

Im starting to believe all the Jason Mamoa playin Lobo speculation is true.

I highly doubt it will be first. Superman will be.  

I personally don't think it will start with Superman, as that property is loaded with the most baggage right now due to the hostility from nerds loosing their Cavill being still be fresh when announced early next year (no sense to put it out there in the news cycle when it would just be walking into a hornets nest). I could see him coming in with some other unknown underdog films (trying to put other characters on the map, much like the first Iron Man did); perhaps other JSA members we have not yet seen. 

I'm very disappointed to lose Cavill. He's been the only Superman I've liked, and I think he's perfect for the role regardless. 

I need some time and distance to establish whether this was truly the best move, but right now it sure doesn't feel like it. 

Well, it will be more than a year before any of this "new universe" stuff comes into being.  Probably closer to two. And there's a whole year of lame duck projects to release in the interim.