• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Universe live movies, TV, animation, gaming roadmap
4 4

286 posts in this topic

The recently appointed co-CEOs of the newly codified DC Studios were always considered unconventional choices, with backgrounds as creatives rather than from the business side. Indeed, with Gunn being a director and Safran being a producer with a directing background, their frequent bites on social media and in interviews have become a constant stream of noteworthy narratives for the media. However, comments (especially from Gunn) have reportedly left "quite a few ruffled feathers" at the company behind the scenes, according to THR's Heat Vision newsletter. While nothing is specified, Gunn is known to offer colorfully candid thoughts on the way the studio was run before the duo's tenure.

"The history of DC...was f**ked up," Gunn exclaimed in a recent interview with a level of candor shocking even for him.

Additionally, Gunn recently sounded off on another hot-button topic regarding the way DC Studios handled Henry Cavill's seemingly reneged comeback as Superman.

Legions of fans were left outraged late last year after Cavill -- having appeared in a comeback-teasing post-credits scene in 2022's Black Adam and made to announce his imminent comeback in a new Superman movie -- was seemingly dismissed from the role retroactively. Interestingly, Gunn offered the surprising clarification that "we didn't fire Henry. Henry was never cast." The co-CEO may have breached decorum when he subsequently offered his own opinion on the controversy. "I like Henry, I think he's a great guy," he said. "I think he's getting :censored: around by a lot of people including the former regime at this company."

On 2/6/2023 at 8:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

WBD should be bothered by what Gunn said, because he's right. Gunn is also part of d**king Cavill around, though. If they're still doing Elseworlds stuff, Cavill's Superman could be a part of that.

I agree Gunn is right. Cavill was unfairly treated by the FORMER regime, but it is certainly unfair to say Gunn is ALSO a part of "pickling" Cavill around. If an older Superman does not fit into his vision and plan, should he change his entire vision for an actor?    

I see Gunn's words as a clear extension of an olive branch to the Snyder fandom.  This Snyder vs Gunn B S has to be put to rest. 

But like...

The entire reason we're in this mess is the utter failure of Snyder's films.

• Man of Steel was solid - but didn't do great box office.
  • BvS was so bad it led to them reworking Justice League Part 1...
  • And Justice League Part 1 (ahem..."Josstice League") was so bad it led to the cancellation of at least three announced films, and the total reworking of Affleck's Batman film...
  • Ultimately leading them to split off Battinson to a different continuity entirely.

The *only* good things that came out of the Snyderverse were:

1) Amazing casting decisions like Cavill, Gadot and Momoa; and

2) Snyder's role in developing / co-writing the first Wonder Woman film.

Given that track record, it'd make sense that they'd want to jettison Cavill and Gadot, as well as (presumptively) Miller.

The outlier here is actually their keeping Momoa - only logical rationale for that is Aquaman's $1 billion+ box office take. But it's still weird.

Why not start entirely anew, with a new actor as Aquaman and shifting Momoa to Lobo?

That way you've got no carryovers from the Snyderverse and it can be a totally fresh reboot - with room for side universes for Joker, Battison, etc. 

I just hope he doesn't go full James Gunn and give us something like Midnighter leading the next iteration of the Justice League...

On 2/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, eastriver400 said:

I agree Gunn is right. Cavill was unfairly treated by the FORMER regime, but it is certainly unfair to say Gunn is ALSO a part of "pickling" Cavill around. If an older Superman does not fit into his vision and plan, should he change his entire vision for an actor?    

I see Gunn's words as a clear extension of an olive branch to the Snyder fandom.  This Snyder vs Gunn B S has to be put to rest. 

What it comes down to is years of WB Studios tampering and disruptive leadership. So I wouldn't just throw this as the Snyder fandom as the problem. If not for them, Zack Snyder's Justice League would have never seen the light of day.

And in the case of Peacemaker, Gunn used the existing JL cast at the end of the show. So to keep Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa, kind of hint at doing something with Gal Gadot maybe, but definitely no Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck seems vectored in on individuals. And not sensible in the end.

Peacemaker_JL01.thumb.jpg.7bb9877252a8c81bde48820d61c628c2.jpg

On 2/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, Gatsby77 said:

But like...

The entire reason we're in this mess is the utter failure of Snyder's films.

• Man of Steel was solid - but didn't do great box office.
  • BvS was so bad it led to them reworking Justice League Part 1...
  • And Justice League Part 1 (ahem..."Josstice League") was so bad it led to the cancellation of at least three announced films, and the total reworking of Affleck's Batman film...
  • Ultimately leading them to split off Battinson to a different continuity entirely.

The *only* good things that came out of the Snyderverse were:

1) Amazing casting decisions like Cavill, Gadot and Momoa; and

2) Snyder's role in developing / co-writing the first Wonder Woman film.

Given that track record, it'd make sense that they'd want to jettison Cavill and Gadot, as well as (presumptively) Miller.

The outlier here is actually their keeping Momoa - only logical rationale for that is Aquaman's $1 billion+ box office take. But it's still weird.

Why not start entirely anew, with a new actor as Aquaman and shifting Momoa to Lobo?

That way you've got no carryovers from the Snyderverse and it can be a totally fresh reboot - with room for side universes for Joker, Battison, etc. 

I just hope he doesn't go full James Gunn and give us something like Midnighter leading the next iteration of the Justice League...

This is the textbook definition of hyperbole. "Utter failure" with films that were actually making money, even with WB Studios excessive tampering.

Snyderverse_230206.thumb.JPG.5608b9e2db23831bb6b46a3f0926443c.JPG

Edited by Bosco685

On 2/6/2023 at 10:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

What it comes down to is years of WB Studios tampering and disruptive leadership. So I wouldn't just throw this as the Snyder fandom as the problem. If not for them, Zack Snyder's Justice League would have never seen the light of day.

And in the case of Peacemaker, Gunn used the existing JL cast at the end of the show. So to keep Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa, kind of hint at doing something with Gal Gadot maybe, but definitely no Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck seems vectored in on individuals. And not sensible in the end.

Peacemaker_JL01.thumb.jpg.7bb9877252a8c81bde48820d61c628c2.jpg

There is no way Gunn knew he would become co-Ceo when filming the JL cameo in Peacemaker. I highly doubt it was Gunn's choice to keep Cavill out of that cameo.  

On 2/6/2023 at 10:42 AM, eastriver400 said:

There is no way Gunn knew he would become co-Ceo when filming the JL cameo in Peacemaker. I highly doubt it was Gunn's choice to keep Cavill out of that cameo.  

You are reading into the intent. I didn't say Gunn purposely left Cavill out of the picture. He was instructed by the WB Studios not to include him. So he went with a shadowed representation.

Supeerman01.JPG.b370f2d86f0c0e697808833db6fdb26e.JPG

But now he is the co-CEO. He has the power. And that scene clearly demonstrated he was recognizing the JL. And he acknowledges Cavill was screwed around previously.

He has the power here now.

Edited by Bosco685

On 2/6/2023 at 10:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

This is the textbook definition of hyperbole. "Utter failure" with films that were actually making money, even with WB Studios excessive tampering.

Snyderverse_230206.thumb.JPG.5608b9e2db23831bb6b46a3f0926443c.JPG

?

• Where is Man of Steel 2?
  • Justice League Part 2?
  • Deathstroke?
  • Cyborg?
  • Affleck's Batman? (or...the originally planned in-continuity Batman solo film)?
  • The Flash? (only slightly joking, as the film we may end up seeing in 2023 is not at all the one originally conceived/announced back in 2016.)

Had the films (sans Wonder Woman and Aquaman) made more money, we'd have seen all of these by now.

All were announced...all were cancelled (or, maybe just...delayed for 5 years).

I'm not even counting the myriad other announced-and-cancelled projects -- just the ones directly tied to the Snyderverse films we did see.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:29 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

• Where is Man of Steel 2?
  • Justice League Part 2?
  • Deathstroke?
  • Cyborg?
  • Affleck's Batman? (or...the originally planned in-continuity Batman solo film)?
  • The Flash? (only slightly joking, as the film we may end up seeing in 2023 is not at all the one originally conceived/announced back in 2016.)

Had the films (sans Wonder Woman and Aquaman) made more money, we'd have seen all of these by now.

All were announced...all were cancelled (or, maybe just...delayed for 5 years).

I'm not even counting the myriad other announced-and-cancelled projects -- just the ones directly tied to the Snyderverse films we did see.

Again. Hyperbole. Sad, but true.

'The Snyderverse' as you coined it had extensive tampering starting with BVS (the second film - in case you forgot) where the WB Studios executive team cut 30 significant minutes. Which became clear with the release of the Ultimate Edition.

Dislike what you dislike. But your negative bent toward Snyder after viewing the BVS Theatrical Cut leading to you wanted to protect other board members from seeing it is extreme. It's only led to more posts to prove you disliked Snyder's BVS, and anything to justify this view you'll be there to make that point. Good or bad. That's reality.

(shrug)

On 2/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

Again. Hyperbole. Sad, but true.

'The Snyderverse' as you coined it had extensive tampering starting with BVS (the second film - in case you forgot) where the WB Studios executive team cut 30 significant minutes. Which became clear with the release of the Ultimate Edition.

Dislike what you dislike. But your negative bent toward Snyder after viewing the BVS Theatrical Cut leading to you wanted to protect other board members from seeing it is extreme. It's only led to more posts to prove you disliked Snyder's BVS, and anything to justify this view you'll be there to make that point. Good or bad. That's reality.

(shrug)

Not hyperbole when those films were all announced and cancelled...

And now we're seeing a near from-scratch reboot of the DC film universe from an entirely new executive team that all-but erases everything Zack Snyder did.

That, good sir, is reality.

In other words, the Snyderverse failed.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Not hyperbole when those films were all announced and cancelled...

And now we're seeing a near from-scratch reboot of the DC film universe from an entirely new executive team that all-but erases everything Zack Snyder did.

That, good sir, is reality.

In other words, the Snyderverse failed.

Uh-huh. Thanks for sharing this fresh insight.

:shiftyeyes:

On 2/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, eastriver400 said:

They're still doing Elseworlds stuff, like The Batman, and Joker... Meaning that Cavil's Superman can still exist not within Gunn's main universe... Meaning that Gunn also contributed to the executives d**king around with him.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:32 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're still doing Elseworlds stuff, like The Batman, and Joker... Meaning that Cavil's Superman can still exist not within Gunn's main universe... Meaning that Gunn also contributed to the executives d**king around with him.

• Arkham Asylum
  • Batman 2
  • Catwoman spin-off
  • Gotham PD (supposedly this is still in the works)
  • Joker 2
  • Penguin
  • Teen Titans GO! (thrown in by Gunn to confirm there will be even this content that fits the Elseworlds mold)

There's definitely a different motivation going on here behind the scenes that leads to some fans feeling disappointed. But in no way am I justifying attacking someone over the situation. 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

You are reading into the intent. I didn't say Gunn purposely left Cavill out of the picture. He was instructed by the WB Studios not to include him. So he went with a shadowed representation.

Supeerman01.JPG.b370f2d86f0c0e697808833db6fdb26e.JPG

But now he is the co-CEO. He has the power. And that scene clearly demonstrated he was recognizing the JL. And he acknowledges Cavill was screwed around previously.

He has the power here now.

Fair enough, and yes he has the power now.    But now that he has the creative control, why shouldn't he go forth with HIS vision and HIS roadmap for cohesiveness?  Just for Cavill? Thats not reasonable.

We are all a little upset with how the studio has handled things over the past decade.  From your post, even GUNN himself is upset about it.   But to scapegoat Gunn for the past is unfair.   Just my two cents.   

On 2/6/2023 at 12:32 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Honestly the non-comic audiences are confused enough. I don't even believe Elseworlds would even exist at this point if the Reeves and Joker verse weren't already in motion.   For us, its fine. We are used to it from the books, but for the average movie going audience, it makes much more sense to have ONE Batman, ONE Superman, etc. 

P.S. I am in no way anti-Snyder. The guy is a brilliant director...ZSJL was absolutely brilliant, as was Watchmen, etc.  

Further, I am not trying to be antagonistic. I just believe Gunn is being blamed unfairly for a decade of dysfunction. Seems Gunn sincerely loves the DC mythology. Lets see how it plays out. I am very hopeful.  

On 2/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, eastriver400 said:

Fair enough, and yes he has the power now.    But now that he has the creative control, why shouldn't he go forth with HIS vision and HIS roadmap for cohesiveness?  Just for Cavill? Thats not reasonable.

We are all a little upset with how the studio has handled things over the past decade.  From your post, even GUNN himself is upset about it.   But to scapegoat Gunn for the past is unfair.   Just my two cents.   

On 2/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, eastriver400 said:

P.S. I am in no way anti-Snyder. The guy is a brilliant director...ZSJL was absolutely brilliant, as was Watchmen, etc.  

Further, I am not trying to be antagonistic. I just believe Gunn is being blamed unfairly for a decade of dysfunction. Seems Gunn sincerely loves the DC mythology. Lets see how it plays out. I am very hopeful.  

I for one didn't take any of your posts as antagonistic at all. You were just stating an opinion.

1. Because if Gunn continues on with Peacemaker Season 2 (the additional roadmap details have not been revealed yet), the show has now confirmed it is connected to what Gatsby has termed the Snyderverse.
  2. Gunn's Superman would be a different part of the story world as part of his Gods & Monsters Phase 1 branch.
  3. The only thing some have a negative view about is the mixed Gunn messaging full reboot/soft reboot/some reboot. Yet his Peacemaker conveyed Cavill is still part of that world. Yet he dismissed Affleck and Cavill specifically, yet noted Momoa and Ezra Miller will stay (even noted there is room for Aquaman 3 as a trilogy story).

So it is a confusing hint to the road ahead. Including Gunn noted those that stick around were easy to work with. Like there was a concern Affleck and Cavill weren't easy to work with (without outright saying this). Yet then noting how much he liked Henry Cavill.

:cheers: