• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Universe live movies, TV, animation, gaming roadmap
4 4

286 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Interesting take on Watchmen. I used to like the movie more, but I've grown into a place where I value both versions about the same. The different endings - I think - highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each medium.

Like he did later with Man of Steel's Journey of Discovery special feature where throughout the movie Zack Snyder and his cast pop up to explain what influenced a scene, have you watched his Watchmen Maximum Movie Mode walkthrough?

Anyone claiming the comic book stories don't influence the final product can claim this. Yet he points directly to comic book elements that influenced his decisions. It's quite educational and entertaining.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

Like he did later with Man of Steel's Journey of Discovery special feature where throughout the movie Zack Snyder and his cast pop up to explain what influenced a scene, have you watched his Watchmen Maximum Movie Mode walkthrough?

Anyone claiming the comic book stories don't influence the final product can claim this. Yet he points directly to comic book elements that influenced his decisions. It's quite educational and entertaining.

To be honest, I haven't watched much BTS content since The Dark Knight. I really should go through all of my recent 4K purchases to watch the bonus content (which is part of the reason they were so expensive lol). Thanks for the suggestions.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be honest, I haven't watched much BTS content since The Dark Knight. I really should go through all of my recent 4K purchases to watch the bonus content (which is part of the reason they were so expensive lol). Thanks for the suggestions.

I know the extras can be overwhelming many times.

But what makes these unique is while you are watching the actual movie at certain scenes that is when the info pieces come up to talk you through the influences. So it is like watching the movies with the cast and crew, and getting the behind-the-scenes details. Even with MOS you have Michael Shannon pop up to tell you what he had going on at a certain point with his Zod portrayal. 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sadly, I've never read the 300 books (yet). I keep forgetting to order them. It also hasn't been printed in collected form in over 20 years.

Interesting take on Watchmen. I used to like the movie more, but I've grown into a place where I value both versions about the same. The different endings - I think - highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each medium.

Ah, lol, well msg me when you do, because it will be interesting to see what you think.

I don't want to give any of it away. I made a friend of mine read the comic, because they were such a huge fan of the movie (as was most of the male human population), and his comments were actually quite funny, and I can see why he said that. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The 300 hardcover is one of those, dumpster dives, I found my copy for 10 bucks.

Watchmen for me was odd, in the sense that I read Watchmen when I was a kid, and I'm sure, didn't appreciate it for what it was. I just, enjoyed it, and took it for granted. I had a beaten up trade of it and flipped through it many times growing up. 

So when the movie came out, it fixed some of the things I didn't like about the book, to your point, and really made me enjoy it all over again. That being said, kind of to your point again, I'm not exactly the biggest Watchmen fan out there either, with both mediums being good and entertaining, but not under my 'favourite' buckets.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

And with Batman and how he views Superman, it is clear there was a buildup there that factually makes sense as we see right out the gate the destruction that occurred from the Battle of Metropolis that directly impacted Bruce Wayne and his people within his company that died.

Yeah, I mean Bruce Wayne was shooting daggers out his eyes at the beginning when he saw Zod and Superman destroying the town and his company/workers.  You could see the hate on his face right there at the beginning of the movie, not sure what more build up you need.  

On 4/5/2023 at 9:33 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I mean Bruce Wayne was shooting daggers out his eyes at the beginning when he saw Zod and Superman destroying the town and his company/workers.  You could see the hate on his face right there at the beginning of the movie, not sure what more build up you need.  

Right? And the little girl pointing to the destroyed building where her mother died.

The future motivation to counter the threat of super-powered Kryptonians slams home visually right from the start.

According to a report from The Wrap, Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) may be blaming the box office disappointment of Shazam! Fury of the Gods, at least partially, on James Gunn's upcoming DCU reboot.

The sequel was projected for a $35 to $38 million domestic opening - already far below the $53.5 million of 2019's Shazam - but ultimately left its March 17 first weekend with just $30.5 million domestic and $65.5 million worldwide.

The Wrap's sources claim reaching the $35 million projection would have been taken as a reasonable outcome for WBD. But the studio thinks Gunn's upcoming reboot dipped "general audience interest" in Shazam 2 and the existing universe.

PositiveSimpleBurro-max-1mb.gif.d3cc2100310532792de60454fd3276a2.gif

On 4/24/2023 at 8:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Did WBD think fans were going to rush the aisles to buy the stock left on the shelves...?

It is nutty. But honestly, the strongest Marketing Department for WB Studios have been WOM from DC fans and not the company itself. Though when they started down the right path offering FanDome, it felt like they had gotten things on track. Then the following year, they shut down the event.

I wonder if internally there is a creative war going on between Gunn/Safran and De Luca/Abdy, since the latter were going back to modern movie stories?

On 4/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

Though when they started down the right path offering FanDome, it felt like they had gotten things on track. Then the following year, they shut down the event.

I wonder if internally there is a creative war going on between Gunn/Safran and De Luca/Abdy, since the latter were going back to modern movie stories?

You would think that FanDome gives DC an upper leg, since Disney keeps all of their presentations a secret for awhile after D23.

This is the kinda stuff that happens when companies are owned by companies which own companies. If I was the head of WB, I would not be happy with the head of DC announcing a reboot when products are still being released. However, if I was the head of DC, I would be expected to make my own decisions without oversight (compromise is something that Zack Snyder recently discussed).

In the end, Gunn/Safran made a move and they will be held responsible for it.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Did WBD think fans were going to rush the aisles to buy the stock left on the shelves...?

Which is going to have to play into the box office of both Flash and Aquaman.  At least the flash has the nostalgia effect with Keaton going for it, but seriously, what does Aquaman have?  It is the last film in a "dead universe", who cares.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, media_junkie said:

It is the last film in a "dead universe", who cares.

I think you're correct, but doesn't this really point to a problem with both the current MCU and James Gunn's prospective DC reboot?  If both the audience and the filmmakers are more interested in how the current movie fits into / teases what-comes-next than they are in the experience of this movie right-here, right-now, then aren't we inevitably going to continue to get half-baked movies-as-movies?

It had its problems, but nobody stayed away from The Dark Knight Rises because it was the final entry in a dead Nolan-verse, did they?

On 4/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, Zonker said:

It had its problems, but nobody stayed away from The Dark Knight Rises because it was the final entry in a dead Nolan-verse, did they?

Very true, however it wasn't part of a "built up" universe like WB was pushing since MOS in 2013.  Will Aquaman 2 do better than Shazam 2?  Absolutely.  Will it do the $1+ billion that Aquaman 1 did?  Not even close.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, media_junkie said:

Which is going to have to play into the box office of both Flash and Aquaman.  At least the flash has the nostalgia effect with Keaton going for it, but seriously, what does Aquaman have?  It is the last film in a "dead universe", who cares.

Yup, already asked that question about A2. The Flash also has 'insiders' advertising how great it is, though we won't know if (or how much) they're lying until it's out. Still excited to see that new Flash trailer today.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, Zonker said:

This is precisely why I think that The Flash won't bomb. I think that fans of the DCEU will watch it to get a sort of 'closure' (yet again) after being robbed of what Black Adam's post-credit scene signaled.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yup, already asked that question about A2. The Flash also has 'insiders' advertising how great it is, though we won't know if (or how much) they're lying until it's out. Still excited to see that new Flash trailer today.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is precisely why I think that The Flash won't bomb. I think that fans of the DCEU will watch it to get a sort of 'closure' (yet again) after being robbed of what Black Adam's post-credit scene signaled.

With the the DCEU elements included in this story of Zod, Fiora, Bruce Wayne/Batman and yes - Barry Allen/The Flash - this could be seen as the final sendoff to the earlier films. So therefore a logical closure, versus what took place with Shazam 2 where it had an extremely loose linkage to the DCEU films (headless Cavill included) and its Big Bad buildup then being cancelled out. So where did it fit?! Nobody knew. Especially audiences.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

With the the DCEU elements included in this story of Zod, Fiora, Bruce Wayne/Batman and yes - Barry Allen/The Flash - this could be seen as the final sendoff to the earlier films. So therefore a logical closure, versus what took place with Shazam 2 where it had an extremely loose linkage to the DCEU films (headless Cavill included) and its Big Bad buildup then being cancelled out. So where did it fit?! Nobody knew. Especially audiences.

The Flash was always planned to be a universe-ending event, though. Shazam 2 got hosed in the same way that Black Adam got hosed; They were both expecting sequels and they're both abruptly done.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Flash was always planned to be a universe-ending event, though. Shazam 2 got hosed in the same way that Black Adam got hosed; They were both expecting sequels and they're both abruptly done.

Agreed on Shazam 2 and Black Adam.

But with The Flash, it originally was going to fold in to the grander five-film plan as a spin-off until WB Studios disrupted the original roadmap. So I'd think not always - but in modern times after all these years. And from that first trailer, it looks to be an interesting story so far. Though I dislike how elements have been removed to appease the 'new DC Universe plan'.