• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1961) The Castaway Strikes Back
1 1

564 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1961

Also in Strange Tales #94 - Kirby had a second story (inked by D. Ayers and thus, missing a signature, lol). There is an ad at the bottom of the last page for the Fantastic Four.

Story TWO:

RCO009_1469341568.jpg

RCO010_1469341568.jpg

RCO011_1469341568.jpg

RCO012_1469341568.jpg

RCO013_1469341568.jpg

RCO014_1469341568.jpg

This story based on the title could've gone in a different direction LOL... :insane: (:

On 3/14/2023 at 12:26 AM, Dr. Haydn said:

Whatever his reasons at the time, Stan Lee certainly deserves some credit for giving Kirby a forum (from 1958 to early 1961) to create stories with a minimum of interference. DC didn't give Kirby the same freedom, and his contemporary work for them seems comparatively bland, at least to my eyes.

It seems people are quick to claim that Stan did nothing, but to me, the Marvel period was far superior to anything Kirby did without Stan, before or after. Let's just say I'm skeptical about some of the claims. I LOVE Kirby, don't get me wrong .... only Frazetta and Adams are comparable in my mind. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/21/2022 at 2:53 AM, Prince Namor said:

Kirby is tiring of these stories - even his unmatched imagination can only hold up so much to this extremely limited genre.

I'll tell you, though, my historically limited exposure to pre-FF Kirby monster stories (as well as Ditko sci-fi & monster stories) - mostly covers and a few excerpts of stories here and there - led me to believe that almost all of these things were interchangeable, cookie cutter jobs, right from jump... much as the western comics and many of the romance comics of the era seem interchangeable (perhaps due to Stan's profligate repurposing of plots). Quite the opposite, however - your staggering account of each story of this issue actually demonstrates how much thought Kirby and Ditko (and/or Ditko's often-uncredited writer(s)) were investing in these. Tons of variety, both in creature designs and in plots. They weren't just leaning back and cashing their checks, that's for sure...