• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, mycomicshop said:

Watching the rest of the video, few other comments:

- He speculates that a book showing up multiple times as sold from HA means that the first sale didn't go through due to non-payment. I would not expect that HA is reporting to GPA based solely on an auction ending without requiring that the item actually be paid for.

- Similarly, he says he's getting set up to report to GPA. If so, I hope that HE will only report actual paid/complete sales to GPA, rather than reporting to GPA as soon as he receives a not-yet-paid order for something.

- Appreciate him including us in a big 4 with HA, CL, and CC!

-This sale was a BIN sale, not auction, so there's no way ComicLink could have "bid up" this item to $114K as he speculates. The results of all our recent auctions are publicly viewable at https://www.mycomicshop.com/auctions/list so if this AF15 had been an auction item it would be in one of those auctions there. Regular bidders in MCS auctions will know there has not been an AF 15 CGC 5.5 auctioned with us recently.

I understand the source of Detective Dave's confusion and no ill will for him getting this wrong, but next time I hope he and any other youtube sleuths will reach out to me directly if they're confused by something. I'm reachable here on the boards, conan@mycomicshop.com, and 512-808-7099.

Some fair points. Any thoughts on how to fix how you report through GPA? If this would have shown up on GPA as a May sale and not a November sale, I think that would eliminate all of the questions.

There at least two big holes in his argument that called it into question.  The first was shipping, MCS has 99.9% of the time shipped my orders on the day, or next day I've paid for them.  The second was that this was obviously a non-auction sale.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Some fair points. Any thoughts on how to fix how you report through GPA? If this would have shown up on GPA as a May sale and not a November sale, I think that would eliminate all of the questions.

I myself have never thought about how books purchased on payment plans would affect the GPA.  In this kind of environment when values are increasing or decreasing in a relatively short timeframe, it does skew the accuracy of the "current" value.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Stefan_W said:

It just looks to me like someone bought their own book from MCS and took the hit on commission to try to juice up the price enough to make some extra cash. Pretty basic math.

Using made up numbers, say there is a 10% commission on $114k which works out to $11,400. If the value of the book was 80k and it goes for $110k at the next auction because of an "OMG the book is spiking in GPA" kind of thing the person makes an extra $30k minus the $11,400, so $18,600.

Your calculation neglects the second commission (from the 'next auction').

On 11/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I mean if we're going to open up GPA data and flag anything that looks weird or possible incorrect, we'll be here for a while.

People need to understand what GPA is and what GPA isn't (and where/who the data comes from and where/who it doesn't come from),

As Conan said I'm sure if the sale popped into GPA in November with a May sold date people would be asking questions then as well.

Another explanation for the why the buyer would take a huge loss - money laundering. Buy a hugely popular book you know you can flip and resell and you aren’t worried about taking a loss. They just need that legit check.
:whistle:

Edited by Msgarmar
Reworded

On 11/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, Msgarmar said:

Another explanation for the why the buyer would take a huge loss - money laundering. Buy a hugely popular book you know you can flip and resell and you aren’t worried about taking a loss. They just need that legit check.
:whistle:

People throw things up for sale that they recently bought for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is cash flow. 

We see it on the boards ALL THE TIME. Just bought something...need to sell it. 

And auction houses can give aggressive cash advances for quality stuff so there is even further incentive if the buyer had the attention of a squirrel and wanted to chase another shiny object. 

I mean, have you looked around this hobby for more than 5 minutes? Everyone does it.