• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, Phill the Governor said:

The issue here is the lagged recorded sale of a volatile book six months after purchase. The vast majority of people looking at GPA will not be aware of the specifics of the sale, as detailed by mycomicshop. Therefore GPA and mycomicshop are both misleading most people looking at the numbers since people can point to this sale as happening now and say that's what it's worth all of a sudden. So FMV of AF15 just jumped up. But it really didn't - it just did according to this misleading recorded sale.

Completely agree. We now need to know if GPA was aware that MCS was reporting in this extremely misleading way.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If MCS reported the time payment sale on the day the book was first claimed........then what happens if the buyer only makes 3 of the agreed 6 monthly payments?

This isn't an issue as the book was sold for "X" amount, the seller was payed in full. MCS entered into a contract with the buyer to loan them money to be repayed over 6 months. If the buyer defaults then MCS owns the book at the sold price and will need to resell the book to try and recoup losses.

I have never used payments via MCS so I could be wrong but I would be horrified if MCS is the facilitating agent of a contracted payment system between buyers and sellers.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, DougC said:

This isn't an issue as the book was sold for "X" amount, the seller was payed in full. MCS entered into a contract with the buyer to loan them money to be repayed over 6 months. If the buyer defaults then MCS owns the book at the sold price and will need to resell the book to try and recoup losses.

I have never used payments via MCS so I could be wrong but I would be horrified if MCS is the facilitating agent of a contracted payment system between buyers and sellers.

I have never used payments with MCS either......so we should probably ask them instead of assuming something else. 

@mycomicshop can you clarify what happens if a buyer only makes half of the time payments on a book and then backs out?  Is the seller paid up front when the book is first claimed? 

On 11/24/2022 at 3:18 AM, COI said:
On 11/24/2022 at 2:27 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Keep in mind.....he's the same guy that appeared in the ridiculous Karl Jobst game conspiracy video.  In it, he made accusations against people/companies in the collectible video game market based on his "feelings" and "supposed" thirdhand knowledge from the comics industry.

Here's that video queued up to his portion below.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad person, and everyone does make mistakes......but he probably needs to realize he's not Sherlock Holmes.....then he probably just needs to STFU when it comes to accusing others.

Expand  

Fair enough, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how they should feel about the guy.

After talking to you about it via PM I realized where we disagreed. 

I initially put in my post the 2nd video is "not worth watching" and then I edited that out because I was realized it was unfair of me to post that. 

You quoted my post before the edit and caught that.

The only other thing we really differ on now is the size of the apology.

If he puts out an entire video under the title of "collusion between _____________ and ___________" to 13K followers and realizes he was wrong then the next time he posts on the subject, his video should be titled "I was wrong about my accusation of collusion between ______________ and ___________" not "Hey, look what GPA is doing!" and bury the apology a few mins in. :smile:

I take offense at that, but it nothing personal against this guy. 

I hate it when newspapers do it too and have railed on it for years. 

They'll post an inflammatory headline to sell papers and influence perception that throws one side under a bus and then days, weeks or months later they'll post a tiny retraction somewhere buried deep in the paper that nobody sees. 

And they do it REGULARLY. Like weekly, constantly riling up the masses for effect. 

Basic fairness should be the minimum expectation and not an exception to be applauded. That's the way things used to work pre internet. 

It's not hard to admit you're wrong and apologize at all. It might be awkward for someone, but that could lead to character growth.

Accountability needs to be crucial to any person's conduct but especially when they fancy themselves as some sort of influencer/personality.

We're seeing a massive rise of these guys starting YouTube shows and I can't fault them since apparently thousands of collectors like to watch guys telling and showing them what they bought. But if you're going to call out people with equity- be sure you come to the fight well armed. Meaning, do your research. Know it back and forth. Don't be unprepared. 

The truth of the matter is that any little thing at all provokes these guys to film another installment of their useless shows, where they're making these dopey expressions. He could've just contacted MCS. 

This is an interesting thread.  I learned new things such as about the reporting of comic sales to GPA on a delayed payments/payment plans.  While I'm glad the guy in the video somewhat retracted his accusations against ComicLink and MyComicShop.com in a video, the original video is still out there making people think both companies are somehow scamming the public.  I see this happen way too much nowadays - "I don't have all the details, answers or even the questions, but I've arrived at a conclusion!"  And it's presented in the first 30 seconds of the original video where he arrives at the conclusion there's shill bidding and "some kind of scamming going on between MyComicShop, ComicLink ..."

I only collect comic books as a passing hobby, and even then, I only really collect comics because of their cover art/theme or maybe because I see a comic that reminds me of my youth (mostly 70s and 80s), so I usually don't get involved in bidding for comics on the scale mentioned here (AF #15).  Heck, the most expensive comics I've bought have been around $190'ish dollars, but that'll change in the next few months/years (lol).  The large majority of comics I've bought have been from MyComicShop.com/Lonestar Comics through their auctions or buying new issues through them.  I started buying from them around 2006, when, at the young age of 36 or so, I decided to buy some comics again.  I miss buying stuff online and then going and picking them up from their store.  lol.  In the subsequent 16 or so years of buying from them and bidding on auctions, I've had very few problems with them and any issues I had were minor and they took care of them quickly.  I recently started using ComicLink for auctions, too, and haven't really had much in the way of issues with them other than some of the descriptions on the items they sell may have been erroneous, but as they say ... "do your own research".  Neither of them have screwed me over yet, so I have no complaints.

On 11/24/2022 at 5:29 PM, VintageComics said:

I hate it when newspapers do it too and have railed on it for years. 

They'll post an inflammatory headline to sell papers and influence perception that throws one side under a bus and then days, weeks or months later they'll post a tiny retraction somewhere buried deep in the paper that nobody sees. 

And they do it REGULARLY. Like weekly, constantly riling up the masses for effect. 

Basic fairness should be the minimum expectation and not an exception to be applauded. That's the way things used to work pre internet. 

Don't feel sorry for this guy, it's the exact same thing. He gets paid by reaching a certain amount of clicks or whatever. 

God knows how many he picked up since everyone started talking about it here. 

He doesn't care what he says, he just needs to get people to click on it and watch all of it. What he says, who he harms, how he says it, is all just incidental to the objective. 

If he was concerned about putting facts and information out there he'd do his frickin' homework before ran his mouth. 

On 11/24/2022 at 10:10 PM, Prince Namor said:

Don't feel sorry for this guy, it's the exact same thing. He gets paid by reaching a certain amount of clicks or whatever. 

God knows how many he picked up since everyone started talking about it here. 

He doesn't care what he says, he just needs to get people to click on it and watch all of it. What he says, who he harms, how he says it, is all just incidental to the objective. 

If he was concerned about putting facts and information out there he'd do his frickin' homework before ran his mouth. 

I see it a little differently. He uncovered something that is extremely wrong. MCS is reporting some of their sales in a misleading way. We don't know if it's intentional or not. We also don't know if GPA is even aware that MCS is doing it. There's also a question out to MCS as to whether or not they pay their sellers in full on the day the contract is made for the payment plan. Still lots of questions to be answered. All we know is that the way MCS reports some of these sales needs to be fixed. 

Also, not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread but GPA pulled the questionable sale from November and moved it back to May. Really glad GPA is stepping up to correct what MCS is doing. This may never have been caught if the video hadn't been made.

I'm guessing there is more we will learn from this whole fiasco in the near future.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:11 PM, VintageComics said:

Let's get a grip on reality. 

MCS is doing nothing wrong. They owe you nothing and their reporting is entirely voluntary. 

MCS is reporting a sale when a sale is completed and they don't owe anyone anything more than that. 

Some reported sales are never completed, some are completed well after the customer commits to the sale and some sales are never even reported. GPA is full of variables.

Your accusation of MCS doing something wrong is just as wrong as Detective Dave's video accusing them of collusion. 

I'm pretty sure that MOST subscribers to GPA would expect that sale to be shown in May and not November. That's why GPA has corrected it as of today. GPA has that expectation as well, or they wouldn't have corrected it. I'm not saying that MCS was being malicious (we dont know that yet). But I do believe this particular reporting was wrong and misleading. GPA seems to have agreed based on their action.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:09 PM, Prince Namor said:

They moved it back to May AFTER it had become a completed sale. MCS didn't do anything wrong. 

Huh? Where are you getting your information? GPA posted the sale in November once MCS reported it as a completed sale. The only reason GPA has moved it back to May is because of the video and this discussion. GPA fixed something that was reported wrong. No one is saying MCS broke any laws, but the way this sale was originally reported (as a November sale) was misleading. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Huh? Where are you getting your information? GPA posted the sale in November once MCS reported it as a completed sale. The only reason GPA has moved it back to May is because of the video and this discussion. GPA fixed something that was reported wrong. No one is saying MCS broke any laws, but the way this sale was originally reported (as a November sale) was misleading. 

It wasn't a completed sale until November. Until they make their final payment and officially own the book the sale isn't  complete. 

GPA didn't 'correct' anything. They CHOSE to move it based upon when the sale was AGREED to. The only reason they did that was because the sale was finally COMPLETE. 

Only someone trying to manipulate the market would want that information earlier which is EXACTLY what this scenario shows us could be done by reporting before the sale is actually complete. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:28 PM, Prince Namor said:

GPA didn't 'correct' anything. They CHOSE to move it based upon when the sale was AGREED to. The only reason they did that was because the sale was finally COMPLETE. 

I'm sorry but I think you might be really confused as to what GPA did or how GPA works. My belief is that GPA absolutely corrected this because MCS incorrectly reported this as a November sale. I'm hoping GPA is able to chime in to this thread as they've been asked by multiple people. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I'm pretty sure that MOST subscribers to GPA would expect that sale to be shown in May and not November. That's why GPA has corrected it as of today. GPA has that expectation as well, or they wouldn't have corrected it. I'm not saying that MCS was being malicious (we dont know that yet). But I do believe this particular reporting was wrong and misleading. GPA seems to have agreed based on their action.

You accused MCS of wrong doing and are now entertaining the idea that MCS is possibly being malicious. Good grief. 

What is wrong with you people?

This is exactly the line of thinking that 'Detective Dave' started with an unfounded accusation that should have been avoided. 

You should get your facts and words straight first before you speak because you're making accusations at the expense of someone else. 

HE (Dave) was wrong and YOU are wrong. :screwy:

MCS was NOT wrong.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:55 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I'm sorry but I think you might be really confused as to what GPA did or how GPA works. My belief is that GPA absolutely corrected this because MCS incorrectly reported this as a November sale. I'm hoping GPA is able to chime in to this thread as they've been asked by multiple people. 

You seem to be the one who doesn't understand how GPA works. 

You can try to make GPA more accurate but you have to understand that it's nothing more than a cheap, $10 a month site that captures high volume sales. There are going to be variables, outliers and especially mistakes.

It is not a university course meant to spoon feed you the FMV. It's just one tool and it's never going to replace experience, research and common sense.