• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mycomicshop cancelled my order without asking me, I lost money on the foreign exchange refund and they have stopped contacting me and done nothing to make it right.
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2022 at 1:30 AM, mycomicshop said:

Regarding refunds, the buyer shows as paying $170.44 USD, and we show refunding $170.44 USD. Happy to follow up with the buyer if there's anything else I can do, but we do not control fluctuations in exchange rates and cannot refund a larger amount than we actually charged. 

I can understand this, and it sounds perfectly reasonable, as does other posts on the subject. However...

If instead of mistakenly sold the same book twice, let's say you sent him X-Men 100 instead of X-Men 101. Assuming you could no longer provide him with the book he ordered, I would assume you would refund him for the book AND the shipping charges? I'd expect you to do that, and it wouldn't be unreasonable, which would mean you would "refund a larger amount than we actually charged." After all, it was YOUR mistake, and the right thing to do is make the customer whole, whether it costs you more than what you originally were paid.

You are correct, you do not control fluctuations in exchange rates, but my view is that the one who should bear the risk is the one who made the error.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:43 PM, ttfitz said:

I can understand this, and it sounds perfectly reasonable, as does other posts on the subject. However...

If instead of mistakenly sold the same book twice, let's say you sent him X-Men 100 instead of X-Men 101. Assuming you could no longer provide him with the book he ordered, I would assume you would refund him for the book AND the shipping charges? I'd expect you to do that, and it wouldn't be unreasonable, which would mean you would "refund a larger amount than we actually charged." After all, it was YOUR mistake, and the right thing to do is make the customer whole, whether it costs you more than what you originally were paid.

You are correct, you do not control fluctuations in exchange rates, but my view is that the one who should bear the risk is the one who made the error.

I was originally confused by this, but I think you're referring to us paying the return shipping charges when we ask the buyer to return an incorrect item? Yes, if it's our error we do that. And I have been corrected by our customer service department just now--it is possible to tack on an additional refund beyond the amount of the original charge, for situations just like that. So it's possible to have a refund in excess of the original charge without having to resort to Paypal or something outside the credit card system.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:06 PM, Ryan. said:

I knew this thread would be stupid when I clicked on it but it exceeded all expectations! :whee:

Same.  I wish I had time to send 15 emails to someone.  Maybe they were delayed because it was a holiday weekend?  (Bc if you're a foreigner, like me and want to complain about something in another country, you should at least be aware of what's going on there...it was Thanksgiving in the States according to the internet...)  I also learned that when you have a complaint, you're now supposed to post it to any place that allows you to post which I didn't know.  Anyone got a list of these places?  Between that and 15 emails, OP could have flown to Texas and waited at the warehouse.

Also, Conan is a friggin' saint.  

On 11/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, roach04 said:

Same.  I wish I had time to send 15 emails to someone.  Maybe they were delayed because it was a holiday weekend?  (Bc if you're a foreigner, like me and want to complain about something in another country, you should at least be aware of what's going on there...it was Thanksgiving in the States according to the internet...)  I also learned that when you have a complaint, you're now supposed to post it to any place that allows you to post which I didn't know.  Anyone got a list of these places?  Between that and 15 emails, OP could have flown to Texas and waited at the warehouse.

Also, Conan is a friggin' saint.  

Conan explained why they didn’t respond :gossip:

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

except maybe the narcissistic lunatic who bought Twitter

On 11/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, Dr. Balls said:

If you were the richest man in the world, you'd be a narcissistic lunatic too. :ohnoez:

Isn't it amazing how Musk was the darling of the world until he stepped out of line with the mainstream narrative?

Personally, I welcome people to disagree respectifully. It's the only way to grow.

A tree that isn't challenged by the weather will never be as strong as one that is.

And a tree coddled by it's owner and protected from the elements will never reach it's full potential. It will end up stunted. 

On 11/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I surely hope that’s the case for his Twitter purchase.

Personally, I wished he would have stayed away from that and continued on with his technological advancement philosophy.

You CAN NOT advance technology without having an open free entanglement of ideas. 

Are you not aware of this?

By allowing greater entanglement of ideas you ARE continuing with technological advancement philosophy. 

Those protesting him are quashing the concept of open entanglement of ideas and trying to stop it because selfishly, they don't actually want a free market of ideas that comes from open entanglement. 

You CAN NOT control open discussion and also promote growth of tech. The two are necessarily, diametrically opposed. 

Just like you can't resolve problems on the chat forum if you don't allow both sides to speak. 

We've seen personal attacks on reputable people by ignorant people and if you only enabled one side of a discussion and did not allow a response from BOTH sides, these resolutions we are seeing happen in real time on this forum would never happen.

And the truths being exposed would never have risen to the forefront as they have. 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, mycomicshop said:

After speaking with our guys in customer service:

- customer service received an email from the OP Nov 18, and assigned it to a department manager for handling
- that department manager made a mistake and thought the issue had already been resolved, so he closed it without further response. That's his error and our error. I'm not happy with how he handled that and discussed it with him. Don't blame the OP for complaining online given our lack of response.

I've emailed the OP to apologize and will provide the additional refund he's looking for.

Great reply.  You guys may not be perfect but you always seem to be willing to admit when you make a mistake and do your best to make the customer happy.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, mycomicshop said:

I was originally confused by this, but I think you're referring to us paying the return shipping charges when we ask the buyer to return an incorrect item? Yes, if it's our error we do that.

Well, that, too, but I was talking about the original shipping charge that was paid - if I paid $100 plus shipping for something that you didn't send me due to an error on your part, I would expect a refund of $100 plus shipping, not just the $100. At the proverbial "end of the day" I would expect to be in the same situation financially as I was before, if the error was on the seller's part.

Glad to see this had been resolved, as I was certain it would be.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, ttfitz said:

Well, that, too, but I was talking about the original shipping charge that was paid - if I paid $100 plus shipping for something that you didn't send me due to an error on your part, I would expect a refund of $100 plus shipping, not just the $100. At the proverbial "end of the day" I would expect to be in the same situation financially as I was before, if the error was on the seller's part.

Glad to see this had been resolved, as I was certain it would be.

Okay, well yeah that's why I was confused. When I referred to "refunding an amount larger than what was actually charged", I didn't mean actually charged for the item price alone. The amount "actually charged" can include the item price, buyer's premium, shipping, tax, etc. When I said we refunded this gentleman $170.44, that's not the item price. It was a refund for 

$148.00 item price
+ $18.00 shipping to Canada
+ $4.44 buyer's premium
= $170.44, which is what he was charged, and what we refunded

On 11/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, VintageComics said:

Isn't it amazing how Musk was the darling of the world until he stepped out of line with the mainstream narrative?

Deleted, because I don't want to be the one responsible for locking the thread.

Edited by stock_rotation

On 11/27/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

And no, I haven't left Twitter, I'll be watching that disaster up close all the way down.

I find social media to be a soul sucking void of meaningless affirmation

Quote is from 1st epi of Wednesday, in a 12 word quote Gough and Millar summed up my feelings of the last 15 years on the subject.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/28/2022 at 11:23 AM, mycomicshop said:

- customer service received an email from the OP Nov 18, and assigned it to a department manager for handling
- that department manager made a mistake and thought the issue had already been resolved, so he closed it without further response.

Happens.

What's odd is the following 14 emails not being a hint that there was still a problem.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, stock_rotation said:
On 11/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, VintageComics said:

Deleted, because I don't want to be the one responsible for locking the thread.

I read your reply (but couldn't reply at the time) and disagree

I also have NO idea why your post would lock the thread except if a bunch of button humpers feel the need to try to make it happen out of spite. 

To your point, if someone made a concerted effort to shine a flood light into YOUR life you would lose your mystique as well and people could pick you apart making you look bad where you previously were respected or at least didn't stand out in a crowd. That's the entire point of a smear campaign. 

The same would be true for anyone on here with no exceptions. 

This thread is the perfect model example of what we're talking about and it's relevant to this discussion. 

Someone came on trying to disparage a dealer. The dealer was allowed to respond showing that the OP didn't really have much of a leg to stand on in regards to his primary concern. 

Without the ability to respond and bring that floodlight back to neutral ground the dealer would have been left looking in a bad light. 

Any respectable organization or person can be made to look bad even if they aren't.  

On 11/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, VintageComics said:

This thread is the perfect model example of what we're talking about and it's relevant to this discussion. 

Someone came on trying to disparage a dealer. The dealer was allowed to respond showing that the OP didn't really have much of a leg to stand on in regards to his primary concern. 

Well, actually... he did:

On 11/28/2022 at 11:23 AM, mycomicshop said:

- that department manager made a mistake and thought the issue had already been resolved, so he closed it without further response. That's his error and our error. I'm not happy with how he handled that and discussed it with him. Don't blame the OP for complaining online given our lack of response.

I've emailed the OP to apologize and will provide the additional refund he's looking for.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Well, actually... he did:

The primary complaint was that he wanted to be refunded his foreign exchange loss. 

An unreasonable expectation by any stretch of the imagination, as all the replies here agreed. 

The technical glitch (or whatever it was) that stopped registering his emails on MCS' end is what was being addressed in that reply. 

But frankly, after an email or two if I don't get a response, I generally pick up a phone or pay a visit if they're local. Emails end up in spam or get overlooked often in eCommerce.

If someone sent me nearly 20 emails and those emails were based on an unreasonable expectation, I'd be questioning whether I'd do business with them moving forward. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, VintageComics said:

The primary complaint was that he wanted to be refunded his foreign exchange loss. 

An unreasonable expectation by any stretch of the imagination, as all the replies here agreed. 

The technical glitch (or whatever it was) that stopped registering his emails on MCS' end is what was being addressed in that reply. 

But frankly, after an email or two if I don't get a response, I generally pick up a phone or pay a visit if they're local. Emails end up in spam or get overlooked often in eCommerce.

There were a number of issues, that was one of them.

Along with canceling an order with no explanation, it seemed primary was the lack of contact, hence the barrage of emails and complaining online.  With contact we never would have seen this thread.

Regardless, an innocent mistake and it will be taken care of as expected MCS would do, but obviously it only happened because he complained here on the forum. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, VintageComics said:

If someone sent me nearly 20 emails and those emails were based on an unreasonable expectation, I'd be questioning whether I'd do business with them moving forward. 

What's the cut-off that makes you decide not to answer him with a simple "we don't refund that".  5?  10?

Yes, it was an unreasonable request but he didn't know, and he learned a valuable lesson about doing business with companies who may not actually have the product they're selling.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:12 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Along with canceling an order with no explanation, it seemed primary was the lack of contact, hence the barrage of emails and complaining online.  With contact we never would have seen this thread.

Lack of contact should always be a concern, but when someone sends 15 or 18 emails but doesn't take the time to pick up a phone they need to reevaluate how they communicate.

This is an instance where someone's avoidance of picking up the phone created an entirely new set of problems.  

What's the cut-off that makes you decide not to answer him with a simple "we don't refund that".  5?  10?

Anyone in customer service knows that it would depend on the conversation and the demands being made. 

If the customer is reasonable you offer them a lot more rope than an unreasonable customer. 

And there are some VERY unreasonable people out there. 

Yes, it was an unreasonable request but he didn't know, and he learned a valuable lesson about doing business with companies who may not actually have the product they're selling.

I would say that they learned a valuable lesson about the pitfalls of doing business cross border and had their expectations adjusted for the better moving forward. 

But that lesson was obvious to most people on here because most people's expectations are reasonable and foreign exchange differences are the cost of doing business. 

As someone who lives in Canada I've been dealing with this since the start of eCommerce and the internet and I would NEVER expect someone to reimburse me for foreign exchange fees.

In fact, I once lost $100s in foreign exchange fees for a transaction. Well over the total invoice cost of the OP. Not once did I think to myself "damn, someone owes me for that" 

The OP not only had unreasonable expectations, they neglected to pick up a phone and make a simple call about their concern just in case emails weren't getting through and then they started a public thread to complain about it.

That doesn't sound very reasonable to me. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, VintageComics said:

Lack of contact should always be a concern, but when someone sends 15 or 18 emails but doesn't take the time to pick up a phone they need to reevaluate how they communicate.

This is an instance where someone's avoidance of picking up the phone created an entirely new set of problems.  

Anyone in customer service knows that it would depend on the conversation and the demands being made. 

If the customer is reasonable you offer them a lot more rope than an unreasonable customer. 

And there are some VERY unreasonable people out there. 

I would say that they learned a valuable lesson about the pitfalls of doing business cross border and had their expectations adjusted for the better moving forward. 

But that lesson was obvious to most people on here because most people's expectations are reasonable and foreign exchange differences are the cost of doing business. 

As someone who lives in Canada I've been dealing with this since the start of eCommerce and the internet and I would NEVER expect someone to reimburse me for foreign exchange fees.

In fact, I once lost $100s in foreign exchange fees for a transaction. Well over the total invoice cost of the OP. Not once did I think to myself "damn, someone owes me for that" 

The OP not only had unreasonable expectations, they neglected to pick up a phone and make a simple call about their concern just in case emails weren't getting through and then they started a public thread to complain about it.

That doesn't sound very reasonable to me. 

Tldr and not pointing fingers, I just wanted to ask, if he had picked up the phone from a foreign country and not been helped, would mcs be on the hook for the phone call charges? Either way this thread would have happened and making it worse is the way I see most of these posts after mcs responded when it was resolved. Js