• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mycomicshop cancelled my order without asking me, I lost money on the foreign exchange refund and they have stopped contacting me and done nothing to make it right.
2 2

105 posts in this topic

I do have friends from other countries, and they can bounce ideas of of me for updates or ways to figure things, sometimes, but if emails didn't work during Thanksgiving, then a call with phone charges wouldn't and it would have made things worse.

However I do realize we're all trying to help each other and lean hard, but complicating a simple misunderstanding makes it worse. I'm just thankful the rabbit hole got situated before it went to far down, it is over, hopefully, and theorizing isn't making it sound anymore of an intelligent nor productive conversation. 

I was willing for back and forth, but I'll be doing the same thing lol

No worries

On 11/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, VintageComics said:

You CAN NOT advance technology without having an open free entanglement of ideas. 

Are you not aware of this?

I am aware that having an open free entanglement of ideas could have been achieved for less than 44 billion dollars. I like Musk, but his purchase of Twitter deflated my give-a-spoon about what he does. I don't care about what side has-what-to-say about Elon Musk. I don't use Twitter, I had closed my accounts years ago because I did not want myself or my business associated with it at all. It's pure vile hatred with zero redeeming qualities regardless of who owns it. His purchase was a vainglorious attempt at thinking that only he could turn it into something special - Twitter is the world's most expensive example of "You can't polish a turd". 

I have said it before: he used to be part of humanity's solution, now he's just part of humanity's problem.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

His purchase was a vainglorious attempt at thinking that only he could turn it into something special

Until you're capable of reading minds, all you're doing is guessing and feeding the exact thing about social media that you despise so much.

You have no way of knowing what anyone's motivations are unless they tell you. 

And he has repeatedly stated that he wants an open, more unbiased exchange of ideas. 

More importantly, couldn't / wouldn't ANYONE who tried to improve on a product be accused of the same thing of being vain? ???

So, why does one person's motivation or venture meet disdain and criticism while another's is met with praise? :whistle:

And most importantly, how doe someone who was endlessly praised for all the 'good' they did all of a sudden become worthy of non-stop scorn?

I think people confuse how they feel with what is true and don't realize it. The two seem to be interchangeable to most. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, VintageComics said:

The primary complaint was that he wanted to be refunded his foreign exchange loss. 

An unreasonable expectation by any stretch of the imagination, as all the replies here agreed. 

Well, no, not all the replies here agreed. And most importantly, apparently MCS did not agree. As you can see:

On 11/28/2022 at 11:23 AM, mycomicshop said:

I've emailed the OP to apologize and will provide the additional refund he's looking for.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, mycomicshop said:

Okay, well yeah that's why I was confused. When I referred to "refunding an amount larger than what was actually charged", I didn't mean actually charged for the item price alone. The amount "actually charged" can include the item price, buyer's premium, shipping, tax, etc. When I said we refunded this gentleman $170.44, that's not the item price. It was a refund for 

$148.00 item price
+ $18.00 shipping to Canada
+ $4.44 buyer's premium
= $170.44, which is what he was charged, and what we refunded

Ah, I see why you were confused. Although this isn't exactly what I was talking about, since you didn't actually ship anything, right? So it wasn't money that you were out, but just money you had collected. I was talking about if a wrong item was shipped, and refunding for the shipping charges, even though that was an expense that you paid for.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, mycomicshop said:

Sometimes, we may choose to go the extra mile even if we don't think what the buyer is asking for is technically our responsibility. We are more likely to do so if we believe we messed up on something related.

That was the case here--I don't think we technically are responsible for providing the buyer a $13 refund to account for intra-day exchange rate movements on a $170 charge (am still confused by the math, wouldn't expect the rate to move enough to cause an almost 10% difference over such a short duration). But, since we definitely did err in failing to respond to his emails, why not give a little extra to try to make amends. So that's what we did.

Sure, that is what my point is - as you said before, and I agreed, you aren't in charge of exchange rates. But whose fault is it that this transaction didn't happen? Certainly not the buyer, he did everything right. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, much less "by any stretch of the imagination," to expect to be made whole by the party who made the mistake.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, mycomicshop said:

I haven't read the whole thread (I'm out at a party)...

Now that I've seen the video evidence...

...I think you owe us all a refund.

tenor.gif.0cdeff04a985d07ea5356d2112f60aa5.gif

Sometimes, we may choose to go the extra mile even if we don't think what the buyer is asking for is technically our responsibility. We are more likely to do so if we believe we messed up on something related.

That was the case here--I don't think we technically are responsible for providing the buyer a $13 refund to account for intra-day exchange rate movements on a $170 charge (am still confused by the math, wouldn't expect the rate to move enough to cause an almost 10% difference over such a short duration). But, since we definitely did err in failing to respond to his emails, why not give a little extra to try to make amends. So that's what we did.

Sheesh, that does seem like a lot, but I also don't know the math.

Very nice of you to do. 

Above and beyond.

It's not that the rate would have changed that much, however as a Canadian it is likely close to the amount lost.  The OP needs to and understand his CC TOS before blaming you guys.

When we purchase something from a non CDN fund we get tacked on a "conversion fee" which can be anywhere from we'll say 0.5% above spot to a whopping 5% above spot.  The same is also true with a refund coming in (the same percentage would apply).  So if the initial fee was:

$170.44 (we'll say spot was 1.35 as that is where she's been hovering).  Charge of $230.094, add on the fee from the CC for converting (we'll go with 3%).  OP is now charged and would see on their statement: $237.00.

Refund would have been $170.44 USD, add in the fee (3%) = $165.475 convert to CDN = $223.39

Difference of $13.61

On 11/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, Iceman399 said:

It's not that the rate would have changed that much, however as a Canadian it is likely close to the amount lost.  The OP needs to and understand his CC TOS before blaming you guys.

When we purchase something from a non CDN fund we get tacked on a "conversion fee" which can be anywhere from we'll say 0.5% above spot to a whopping 5% above spot.  The same is also true with a refund coming in (the same percentage would apply).  So if the initial fee was:

$170.44 (we'll say spot was 1.35 as that is where she's been hovering).  Charge of $230.094, add on the fee from the CC for converting (we'll go with 3%).  OP is now charged and would see on their statement: $237.00.

Refund would have been $170.44 USD, add in the fee (3%) = $165.475 convert to CDN = $223.39

Difference of $13.61

Thanks, that makes sense and agrees with what another international buyer PM'd me about the issue likely being bank fees for currency conversion.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 11/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, VintageComics said:

And he has repeatedly stated that he wants an open, more unbiased exchange of ideas. 

More importantly, couldn't / wouldn't ANYONE who tried to improve on a product be accused of the same thing of being vain? ???

There is no rationale defense of a creation like Twitter.

Is there a rationale reason for people collection 4, 5 and 6 figure comics they're never read, locked in plastic? lol

Twitter is a headline machine meant for spreading information around the world faster than any other mechanism and for that, it's phenomenal when used properly. It can notify people of things that are useful quickly and that's it's main purpose. 

Like anything "useless" it has it's uses and drawbacks, but you don't stop using something just because it has drawbacks. That's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

You run a restaurant, or something along those lines don't you? Sorry if I'm misremembering. 

So something like Twitter may not be useful for you but it doesn't mean it's an indefensible product. Anyway, appreciate the convo. :foryou:

On 11/28/2022 at 11:43 PM, ttfitz said:

Well, no, not all the replies here agreed. And most importantly, apparently MCS did not agree. As you can see:

There's a difference between being OWED something and just being given something out of goodwill. 

Good businesses often go above and beyond when they don't have to. 

I see now that MCS responded along those lines. (thumbsu