• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larson Question
1 1

29 posts in this topic

After my thread the other day regarding my Pedigree pursuits I thought this was the best place to ask this question.

I am in discussions with someone regarding a Larson book.  It has the gold CGC label marking it as a Larson book, but it falls outside of the "usual" date range as the book is from 1943.  It is relatively high grade and has white pages.

Is this possible or is this a CGC mistake?  

Do Larsons typically sell for multiples of guide?  If so, how much above guide? 2x?  3x?  1.5x?  I don't have a basis to decide if it is a good deal or not since these don't come up that often.

PDG

Edited by PDGray

If you were to mention the specific book I am sure one of the folks who have a copy of the original Larson list can check it out for you.

I would be very, very suspicious that it is a Larson.  From CGC's website:

The collection stopped abruptly in November 1941, but still numbered over 1,000 copies.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, MrBedrock said:

If you were to mention the specific book I am sure one of the folks who have a copy of the original Larson list can check it out for you.

The book is a Fawcett Gene Autry #6 - do you know anyone who has the list?  I did a google search but came up short.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, adamstrange said:

I would be very, very suspicious that it is a Larson.  From CGC's website:

Yeah, this is exactly why I thought to pose the question to the brain trust here.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:13 AM, Robot Man said:

Sounds like an error to me. And yes, Larsons do sell for multiples of guide. The book and the grade of course determine this. I consider mine priceless...

I figured they would go for well above guide, but I just don't have the depth of knowledge to make a good call on this.

Thanks for the replies - hoping to find out more.

PDG

On 12/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, adamstrange said:

That book is not on the list from the original dealer.  Jon Berk did get a handful of Larson's after he "found" Lamont, but there was no Gene Autry 6 in the sale of his collection.

I would look for a different Larson example, one from the expected time period and on the list.

There were quite a few books in the collection, many are mid-grade or lower, and often they are of issues that are not highly sought after (e.g. newspaper reprints).  I think you can still find an affordable one.

99E1C787-9520-4E1D-80AB-29C1261802D7.jpeg

I can't count all the times someone has opined that a book is the Larson copy simply because it had an "L" written on the cover.  An "L" is not a Larson feature.  Rather the words "Lamont" and/or "Larson" are written out.  In other cases, there is specific coding that is the giveaway.

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 12/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, PDGray said:

The book is a Fawcett Gene Autry #6 - do you know anyone who has the list?  I did a google search but came up short.

Yeah, this is exactly why I thought to pose the question to the brain trust here.

I figured they would go for well above guide, but I just don't have the depth of knowledge to make a good call on this.

Thanks for the replies - hoping to find out more.

PDG

Hey PD, that book is from 1943. I'm sure you know,  with 26 pedigrees to your name you're no newbie thats for sure. Did you have the opportunity to look it up the cgc number on their website?

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

If it's labeled as a Larson I don't get how they could make such a mistake. By then he was into model airplanes I think :). Very strange. The 9.6 is a Church. I didn't see any Larsons in past sales. 

Opera Snapshot_2022-12-08_053106_gocollect.com.png

I had not looked up the certificate number, but I just did and what I found is located below.  CGC Does indeed list it as a Larson - so, any thoughts on this?  I agree it is very strange, so I just don't know what to make of it.  

Should I continue to pursue it?  Or should I just drop it altogether?

PDG

CGC Cert #
Title
Gene Autry Comics
Issue
Issue Date
3/43
Issue Year
Publisher
Fawcett Publications
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
09/01/2021
Grade Category
Universal
Pedigree
Larson
Art Comments
Till Goodman cover
Grader Notes
light writing top of front cover
small, very light crease right bottom of front cover
spine stress lines cover

I had not looked up the certificate number, but I just did and what I found is located below.  CGC Does indeed list it as a Larson - so, any thoughts on this?  I agree it is very strange, so I just don't know what to make of it.  

Should I continue to pursue it?  Or should I just drop it altogether?

By the way, thanks for the certification link - I didn't know I could do that!!

PDG

CGC Cert #
Title
Gene Autry Comics
Issue
Issue Date
3/43
Issue Year
Publisher
Fawcett Publications
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
09/01/2021
Grade Category
Universal
Pedigree
Larson
Art Comments
Till Goodman cover
Grader Notes
light writing top of front cover
small, very light crease right bottom of front cover
spine stress lines cover

I looked at past 8.0 sales.  Two have sold that I found , last time was in 2009. One of them is a file copy and the other isn't. So I guess the third must be the one your considering. The last 3 8.5's sold for around 280.00 in 2019,20,21 so if you buy the 8.0 it's no big deal. You can always sell it when you find a better Larson. Still strange a 1943 Larson. Could call cgc and see what they say. 

Edited by Professor K

On 12/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, Professor K said:

I looked at past 8.0 sales.  Two have sold that I found , last time was in 2009. One of them is a file copy and the other isn't. So I guess the third must be the one your considering. The last 3 8.5's sold for around 280.00 in 2019,20,21 so if you buy the 8.0 it's no big deal. You can always sell it when you find a better Larson. Still strange a 1943 Larson. Could call cgc and see what they say. 

Thank you for the historical data!  That is very important for me and I had no basis to judge that info.

Seller wants about 2x that for this book.  If it were a real Larson, then I would be ok with that.  But if it's not, then I would feel left out holding the bag.  The other issue is that I never sell.  I am not a flipper.  I just buy the books and hang on to them forever.  I think I have sold maybe 10 books ever - and I kind of felt bad and regretted selling them.  

PDG

On 12/8/2022 at 10:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Frankly, I wouldn’t touch it with your ten foot pole. An obvious error. Just be patient and you will be able to find an affordable example that you might even be happier with. 

Absolutely 100% agree with you - logically.

Then there is that other part of me that can't help but wondering how CGC came to this conclusion?  How did someone follow the provenance to get it to this point?  Or it is just a CGC error?  I looked up some of those books that have been listed on ebay as part of the "Pennsylvania" pedigree - books like a New Mutants #11 and, after entering the certification number - they all came back showing without the pedigree.  This book does show it, as in the listing above.  This curiosity is killing me - ha!!

PDG

On 12/8/2022 at 11:45 AM, PDGray said:

Absolutely 100% agree with you - logically.

Then there is that other part of me that can't help but wondering how CGC came to this conclusion?  How did someone follow the provenance to get it to this point?  Or it is just a CGC error?  I looked up some of those books that have been listed on ebay as part of the "Pennsylvania" pedigree - books like a New Mutants #11 and, after entering the certification number - they all came back showing without the pedigree.  This book does show it, as in the listing above.  This curiosity is killing me - ha!!

PDG

It would appear to be a case (or label) of mistaken identity, but with no Larson-y involved. :Rocket: