• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS - CROSSOVER

17 posts in this topic

Wanted to see peoples experience with grading when using crossover service. Has anybody had issues with comic being damaged from the process?  I found a few old topics where some people said when it was a low grade from CBCS, it went lower from CGCS but on the higher grades not so much.   

The comic I am planning to send in to press and re-slab is a Fantastic Four 110 error in CBCS 8.5.

The grader notes from CBCS were - spine stress breaks color, light edge & corner wear, tiny rust stains back cover spine

Thanks for any input!

On 12/12/2022 at 3:44 PM, jg44 said:

Wanted to see peoples experience with grading when using crossover service. Has anybody had issues with comic being damaged from the process?  I found a few old topics where some people said when it was a low grade from CBCS, it went lower from CGCS but on the higher grades not so much.   

The comic I am planning to send in to press and re-slab is a Fantastic Four 110 error in CBCS 8.5.

The grader notes from CBCS were - spine stress breaks color, light edge & corner wear, tiny rust stains back cover spine

Thanks for any input!

Save time, money & frustration by skipping CCS, and just doing the straight resub.   None of those defects will improve with a press.2c

On 12/12/2022 at 1:25 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Save time, money & frustration by skipping CCS, and just doing the straight resub.   None of those defects will improve with a press.2c

Thanks for the input.  I had a feeling I should just resub.  

On 12/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, MB1952 said:

St john book that was miscut.

I did one of those too.  But I went from the other "P _ _" company to CGC.  Other Co gave it a green label and noted the "hand-trimmed cover wrap" but CGC just gave it the PLOD "trimmed" notation.  Look at that wavy top edge:

1563406636_PR21CGC40.thumb.JPG.13437702466984e5d74e62908cf0e8e6.JPG

Edited by Yorick
spelling

bought a higher grade ASM 129. wanted to do a quick flip. sent to CBCS came back 7.0.
Decided to just take the loss and sent it to a signing by a CGC SS guy.
It came back CGC 8.5 SS.
The book was pressed once and that was before I sent it to CBCS.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This 100% 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:57 AM, Yorick said:

I did one of those too.  But I went from the other "P _ _" company to CGC.  Other Co gave it a green label and noted the "hand-trimmed cover wrap" but CGC just gave it the PLOD "trimmed" notation.  Look at that wavy top edge:

1563406636_PR21CGC40.thumb.JPG.13437702466984e5d74e62908cf0e8e6.JPG

many St John books heavy miscut. there's miscut fightin marines 7 cgc 5.0 on HA coming up, that was my sold-on bay really cheap. 

also the fightin marines 4 cgc 8.5 highest graded is miscut. on my pc.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, MB1952 said:

many St John books heavy miscut.

I know well.  I have a few.  The one I posted is a bit different though.  The insides are factory/mechanical trimming, but the cover is hand cut along the top edge only.  It's like the printer needed that last one to meet the order quota and took some rejects laying around and assembled the good pieces of them in order to have a single clean copy.

It's a learn to grade thing.  If you buy the slab, you run into issues. Look at the book and get out a magnifier if you have it in hand, read notes, get extra photos if possible.  All my CBCS crosses to CGC came out equal or better.  No downgrades.  Not one issue with a single 9.8 to 9.8...Most of the graders at CBCS were CGC graders years ago. Folks forget that.