• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics are NOT the collectible you thought it was! Sheesh...
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 4:31 PM, Bronty said:

The article isn't wrong.  Most comics are pretty well worthless.

I agree with that part but the first paragraph "most the value is in graphic novels and new items" is not correct. My LCS would strongly disagree with that.

To save others the scroll time...

Though some comic books are worth a lot of money, the vast majority are not. After all, you can go into any comic bookstore and pick up a vintage comic for a few cents. Usually, the most valuable items in the comic bookstore, exclusive of the toys and memorabilia, are the graphic novels and new-edition comics.

If you have a lot of comics you want to get rid of, you’d do best to sell them as a lot. Even then, you’ll likely only get $20-$30 for the set. There is even an Invaders lot of eight Marvel comic books for just $10. Comics are awesome, but they aren’t a gold mine when it comes to collecting. 
A9D154D2-8E2E-409C-9BC7-68289F32FCE5.gif.399209ac03a6bdcb7774be2c33396751.gif

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To save others the scroll time...

Though some comic books are worth a lot of money, the vast majority are not. After all, you can go into any comic bookstore and pick up a vintage comic for a few cents. Usually, the most valuable items in the comic bookstore, exclusive of the toys and memorabilia, are the graphic novels and new-edition comics.

If you have a lot of comics you want to get rid of, you’d do best to sell them as a lot. Even then, you’ll likely only get $20-$30 for the set. There is even an Invaders lot of eight Marvel comic books for just $10. Comics are awesome, but they aren’t a gold mine when it comes to collecting. 
A9D154D2-8E2E-409C-9BC7-68289F32FCE5.gif.399209ac03a6bdcb7774be2c33396751.gif

Good idea lol.

42. Golden Dollars

Manufacturer: U.S Mint
Original Cost: $1*
Worth Today: $3-$4*

Chances are, you’ve seen a Golden Dollar a time or two. These coins are valid at $1, though they aren’t a common type of used currency (much like $2 bills). On eBay, Golden Dollars with famous figures like Ronald Reagan, Sacagawea, and George H.W. Bush sell for $3-$4 per coin.

Golden Dollars ©National Numismatic Collection/Wikimedia Commons

There is even a set of twenty-five Golden Dollar coins for $20.50. Though some Golden Dolls are rare and valuable, like those from the 1800s, when the U.S. Mint first produced these coins, much won’t net you much of a return. You’re better off saving the Gold Dollar and waiting to see if it grows in resale value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First.......the example they picture is an original 1849 gold dollar and is worth at least a few hundred dollars.

Second........what kind of dipstick sells $25 worth of money for $20.50?

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 12/12/2022 at 9:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There is even an Invaders lot of eight Marvel comic books for just $10.

A lot of 8 Frank Robbins comics is worth ten bucks of anyone’s money.

Underpriced.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:36 PM, Badlands said:

I agree with that part but the first paragraph "most the value is in graphic novels and new items" is not correct. My LCS would strongly disagree with that.

A bit like comic books, most aren’t worth anything, except for out-of-print or limited edition GNs, trades and hardcovers, which can often be seen at nosebleed secondary market prices.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:56 PM, Domo Arigato said:

"After all, you can go into any comic bookstore and pick up a vintage comic for a few cents."

Correct. 

The first thing I do when I walk into a comic bookstore is ask them where their 50 for $1 books are........then I pull out a fiver and load up my wheelbarrow.

Have you tried it? I've had great success offering to buy shops excess stock.  

On 12/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

447D71B0-BC51-44BC-9100-2F08A8623FA7.thumb.jpeg.ce1fbb98d98863db353e43d1ab606581.jpeg

That’s one of the better examples you could’ve picked.

At least Nomad wasn’t posted for the millionth time.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s one of the better examples you could’ve picked.

At least Nomad wasn’t posted for the millionth time.

Probably easier just to post the best example, rather than the worst.   Terry Austin did all he could to make his art visually tolerable....

9BBA5E92-CD47-4A81-8F35-78C84C439493.thumb.jpeg.34169783c47c624df0fad14b8a1e3d3b.jpeg

On 12/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Are you trying to make my head explode? 

"Collectibles That Used To Be Valuable – But Are Now Worthless"

Bed bugs uptown, Go ahead and bit da big apple!