• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical error turnaround time
5 5

127 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, kalanye said:

So my single modern book ME was received by CGC on 12/15/22 and has been stuck at "Scheduled for Grading" status pretty much since then.

My 25 book pre-screen modern submission on the other hand was received 01/12/23 and is already at G/E/I.

Hmmmm.

Aaaaaand my 25 book submission is now shipping.

My ME made it to “Grading/Quality Control” which is progress!

On 1/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, F For Fake said:

So, FedEx attempted delivery today, and I am pretty much never at home when FedEx comes, so I assumed I'd be able to redirect delivery to my local FedEx location. BUT, it won't let me do that, saying that the shipper won't allow it. So...what do I do? I know that there was a hubbub when CGC announced they were exclusively switching to FedEx, but I haven't subbed anything for a couple of years, so I didn't realize that also meant that they wouldn't even let you redirect the books.

I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I will surely miss their delivery tomorrow, so that means I'll have to sit by the door all day Saturday. I really, truly hate FedEx. I had a ComicLink shipment right before xmas, and while they let me hold one package at a Walgreens, they wouldn't release the other one for some reason. So, I had to sit and wait, and on the third day, I watched out the window as the FedEx truck pulled up to my house...opened the door...then shut the door and took off. Didn't even pretend to attempt delivery. And this happens ALL OF THE TIME. So, I ran out on the porch and when he turned around I flagged him down. Again...I hate FedEx.

So...does anyone know, do I have any options here, or do I just have to pray that FedEx actually tries to deliver the package while I'm there waiting for it? 

Just curious...

We see stories like this many, many times. We've been told by CGC on many, many occasions (not to mention that official announcement) that this 'no redirects' rule is for our own good - I believe the exact wording is always something like "...to protect the security of your returning collectibles and they cannot be removed or amended."

I was wondering ... before this rule went into effect, had any member had a problem (or know of someone who had a problem)  with the security of their packages that this 'no redirects' rule would've prevented?

On 1/19/2023 at 12:27 PM, workingdog said:

This worked for me when I ran into the same situation.  I was able to get the phone number of the local FedEx hub and called them.  Like you, I asked what my options were.  I spoke to a manager and he said my only other option was to ask them to hold it at their facility and I could come pick it up myself.  Which I did seeing as how my local hub is only a few miles from me.  Yes, another hoop to jump through but it got the job done.  Good luck.

Thanks, much appreciated, I will give that a try if I'm not able to connect with the driver today. What a bunch of junk. Oh well. Thanks again!

On 1/20/2023 at 2:37 AM, Gaard said:

Just curious...

We see stories like this many, many times. We've been told by CGC on many, many occasions (not to mention that official announcement) that this 'no redirects' rule is for our own good - I believe the exact wording is always something like "...to protect the security of your returning collectibles and they cannot be removed or amended."

I was wondering ... before this rule went into effect, had any member had a problem (or know of someone who had a problem)  with the security of their packages that this 'no redirects' rule would've prevented?

Not I.  But there must have been a few bad apples.  Which of course spoils it for all  *sigh*

On 1/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, F For Fake said:

So, FedEx attempted delivery today, and I am pretty much never at home when FedEx comes, so I assumed I'd be able to redirect delivery to my local FedEx location. BUT, it won't let me do that, saying that the shipper won't allow it. So...what do I do? I know that there was a hubbub when CGC announced they were exclusively switching to FedEx, but I haven't subbed anything for a couple of years, so I didn't realize that also meant that they wouldn't even let you redirect the books.

I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I will surely miss their delivery tomorrow, so that means I'll have to sit by the door all day Saturday. I really, truly hate FedEx. I had a ComicLink shipment right before xmas, and while they let me hold one package at a Walgreens, they wouldn't release the other one for some reason. So, I had to sit and wait, and on the third day, I watched out the window as the FedEx truck pulled up to my house...opened the door...then shut the door and took off. Didn't even pretend to attempt delivery. And this happens ALL OF THE TIME. So, I ran out on the porch and when he turned around I flagged him down. Again...I hate FedEx.

So...does anyone know, do I have any options here, or do I just have to pray that FedEx actually tries to deliver the package while I'm there waiting for it? 

FFF, you're going to love this.  I had a ME FedEx shipment that was scheduled to arrive today.  Going about my day when all of a sudden I get an e-mail that my FedEx shipment was delivered and signed for.  I quickly looked outside and no package.  I went back to the e-mail and saw where the driver delivered it to ... the Auto Body shop down the street.  I immediately called FedEx and they got in touch with the driver.  Ten minutes later, a FedEx driver pulls up, gets out and asks about my missing package.  I told him where he delivered it to (he himself didn't know).  He left and several minutes later delivered my package.  Fortunately, no one opened it and no harm to contents inside. 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:32 PM, workingdog said:

FFF, you're going to love this.  I had a ME FedEx shipment that was scheduled to arrive today.  Going about my day when all of a sudden I get an e-mail that my FedEx shipment was delivered and signed for.  I quickly looked outside and no package.  I went back to the e-mail and saw where the driver delivered it to ... the Auto Body shop down the street.  I immediately called FedEx and they got in touch with the driver.  Ten minutes later, a FedEx driver pulls up, gets out and asks about my missing package.  I told him where he delivered it to (he himself didn't know).  He left and several minutes later delivered my package.  Fortunately, no one opened it and no harm to contents inside. 

Oh no! I wish I could say that surprised me, but with FedEx, NOTHING surprises me. I'm just glad it worked out ok!

As for me, I expected FedEx to attempt their third delivery on Saturday, and I knew we'd be home all day, so I was prepared to stakeout the front door. That morning, I receive notice that my package will be delivered on MONDAY, 1/23. I just about blew a gasket. Why wouldn't they deliver on Saturday? I could accept if it was only on "business days", but I had another package on its way from FedEx arriving that morning!

So, I called FedEx and tried to get ahold of someone who could help, perhaps get me to the local hub. Eventually the person I spoke to told me that I could just sign a piece of paper and leave it in my door, and they'd deliver it. He said he'd leave a note for the driver to look for my paper. This was a first for me, but I figured I'd try it. So, about 10 minutes ago, I got a text saying it has been delivered. Huzzah! Will it still be there when I get home? Likely, as I've never had a package go missing in 10 years at that address. Will the label be corrected? Will there be other problems with the case? Tune in later and find out!

Well, my package was indeed at my home last night (who knew, writing your name on a piece of paper and sticking in the door. It works!) and I got it opened up, and...everything is fine! I give CGC their fair share of carp, but in this instance, aside from the TWO MONTH wait time, I will report that the book is now correctly labeled, and the slab is in nice shape. No scuffs or shards or damage that I can see. There are a couple of VERRRRRY small newton rings, like, way too small to actually complain about, so I won't.

So there you have it, the saga is concluded. Wishing you all the best of luck. I don't plan on subbing anymore, at least not for some time, so I am done with CGC for the time being. It's kinda sad, I do miss those glory days. Oh well. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:40 AM, kalanye said:

Aaaaaand my 25 book submission is now shipping.

My ME made it to “Grading/Quality Control” which is progress!

Final progress report for my single modern ME book:

Received + Scheduled For Grading: 12/15/22

Grading/QC: 1/19/23

Shipped: 1/25/23

On 12/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have been told that we are behind in entering ME's into the system.

Can I send you my order number or submission number? I’ve been waiting since 11/07 and was told 3 different times this will sent out this week as high priority but no movement since December - January conversations. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

On 1/24/2023 at 5:12 PM, kalanye said:

Final progress report for my single modern ME book:

Received + Scheduled For Grading: 12/15/22

Grading/QC: 1/19/23

Shipped: 1/25/23

Must be nice. Mine have been in a grading status since November. Still not convinced they didn’t lose my book. Been given 3 different answer to what happened to my book and yet no answer from submissions department. Ugh terrible!!!!!

D5081DDA-A884-4B31-A298-B64EF3088EE2.jpeg

C8C3B2C4-47C3-42A7-9D41-CCE432AC5CC2.jpeg

• Administrator
On 1/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, Ronperez said:

Can I send you my order number or submission number? I’ve been waiting since 11/07 and was told 3 different times this will sent out this week as high priority but no movement since December - January conversations. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Just send me the submission number like I have asked in the PM, and I will gladly look into this for you.

Mike

On 2/7/2023 at 10:39 PM, docgo said:

Mechanical Error Modern - 1 book

• 1/30 - Delivered to CGC
  • 2/1 - Received
  • 2/1 - SFG
  • 2/3 - GEI
  • 2/6 - G/QC
  • 2/8 - Shipped

Mechanical Error Modern - 4 books

• 1/17 - Delivered to CGC
  • 1/31 - Received
  • 1/31 - SFG
  • 2/6 - GEI
  • 2/8 - G/QC
  • 2/9 - Shipped

Gold Foil Death of Superman Mechanical Error Shipment
Shipped to CGC            1/25
Delivered                       1/26
Scheduled for Grading   2/02 (5 business days later / 5 days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation 2/10 (6 business days later / 11 days so far)
Shipped                          2/13 (1 business day later / 12 days total)

Being in Canada, I have to wait for their shipping crew to send me an international shipping label before I can return an ME book. I called on Monday and still have not heard back from them, which is all pretty standard - I am expecting the label Fri or Monday. On average it takes almost a week to process unless you get lucky and someone pushes it through quickly. When you add this delay plus the time it takes FedEx to move it to CGC and the wait time for them to open the box it is about 2 weeks of added wait time between calling and having it entered into the system as SFG.

This is absolutely not a complaint since I totally understand how busy everything is, and I not in a rush to get ME books back. I am only adding to the conversation so others in Canada who have not yet gone through the process know what to expect. 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, JollyComics said:

Recent posted on February 16.

This is a first post on March 13.  Almost one month gap.

Ok, my ME book was received on 2/14.  It's still SFG.   Any new updates from you guys lately?

Mine hit the system as SFG on Feb 21 and zero movement so far. I have a reholder submission that has been SFG since Feb 1 so I am not holding my breath since that process is largely the same. 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, JollyComics said:

Recent posted on February 16.

This is a first post on March 13.  Almost one month gap.

Ok, my ME book was received on 2/14.  It's still SFG.   Any new updates from you guys lately?

On 3/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Stefan_W said:

Mine hit the system as SFG on Feb 21 and zero movement so far. I have a reholder submission that has been SFG since Feb 1 so I am not holding my breath since that process is largely the same. 

I have a 6 book ME that was received on 2/7 and a 3 book reholder received on 1/23 that are both SFG.  I had a 25 book ME that was received on 2/3 that was shipped back to me 2/28.  I do think larger ME orders are processed quicker.