• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

828 posts in this topic

SPAWN 119 - CGC 9.8 

Mega key. First appearance of Gunslinger Spawn. 

Also happens to be one of the very best covers in the entire run. 

spawn 119 edited .jpg

SPAWN 121 - CGC 9.8 

I remember this issue was extraordinarily hard to track down in grade. Again, super dark cover. 

I also noticed that this is one of the only newer generation slabs that you will see. In fact, this is the first one. 

Unless you have followed CGC very closely and consistently throughout the years, you will remember that there were numerous complaints when this generation was first released. If I recall correctly, the book was held in place by "pressure" from the outer slabs. This was one of the biggest, if not THE biggest mistakes, ever made by the company. People were VERY up in arms about the design of these slabs. The scan makes the book look hideous, but this was a super clean copy. 

Thankfully, the CGC fixed this by going back to a "dual-well" system and all is well. 

I'm recalling all of this from memory. Feel free to step in and correct me if I'm not remembering it correctly. 

edited 121.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 5/15/2023 at 7:39 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 121 - CGC 9.8 

I remember this issue was extraordinarily hard to track down in grade. Again, super dark cover. 

I also noticed that this is one of the only newer generation slabs that you will see. In fact, this is the first one. 

Unless you have followed CGC very closely and consistently throughout the years, you will remember that there were numerous complaints when this generation was first released. If I recall correctly, the book was held in place by "pressure" from the outer slabs. This was one of the biggest, if not THE biggest mistakes, ever made by the company. People were VERY up in arms about the design of these slabs. The scan makes the book look hideous, but this was a super clean copy. 

Thankfully, the CGC fixed this by going back to a "dual-well" system and all is well. 

I'm recalling all of this from memory. Feel free to step in and correct me if I'm not remembering it correctly. 

edited 121.jpg

Totally see what you are referring to with the case that they were using at the time. The last month I have picked up more higher grade key issues that were missing in my collection and I have been sending them off to CGC to be graded. Two weeks ago I just had 175, 160, and the all so tough 139 come back as 9.8's. I had a 175 I bought earlier in the year that ended up with a 9.6 due to some issues on the back, but then last month my LCS had a collection come in that had 175 which got this 9.8. I already have a 174 in a 9.8 from another collection that I had bought the issue from earlier in the year.

I currently have Spawn #77, 222, and another ultra tough all in black cover #61 over at CGC. I hope to have my grades tomorrow and really hoping these also get a 9.8. My goal is to get all of the Spawn keys and super tough covers in a 9.8 and I think I am going to work on getting the entire Gunslinger Spawn run over to CGC for 9.8's.

This past weekend I did buy an Image United #1 Jim Lee Variant CGC 9.8 for that awesome Omega Spawn cover and first appearance. The artwork alone in the Spawn series is awesome.

Glad that you keep sharing all this with us.

Edited by captainzombie

SPAWN 122 - CGC 9.8 

It's raining frogs! 

So happy to see some "dark creature" representation outside of bats! 

edited 122.jpg

SPAWN 123 - CGC 9.8 

Woah! I'd somehow forgotten about this cover. 

Incredible! 

See why I'm such a fan of this little stretch in the run? 

edited 123.jpg

SPAWN 124 - CGC 9.8 

One of my favorite covers in the entire series. 

I love winter landscapes. Especially evil ones. :devil:

Edited 124.jpg

SPAWN 125 - CGC 9.8 

I haven't looked lately at the census number for any of these books, but I remember this one was extraordinarily difficult to find in grade. 

Imagine if this comic would have hit the shelves back in the late 80s. Talk about Satanic Panic! 

This is another example of the older "pressure style" holders. The book looks beautiful without the inner well, but there were questions about the safety of these slabs. Anyone have any updates on how these have held up over the years? Or did everyone panic and get them reholdered? 

edited 125.jpg

Just looked at the census. Looks like a few dozen now. Certainly didn't look like that back in my day. 

Looks like these books are growing in popularity and more and more people are on the prowl for them. 

On 5/19/2023 at 6:50 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 125 - CGC 9.8 

I haven't looked lately at the census number for any of these books, but I remember this one was extraordinarily difficult to find in grade. 

Imagine if this comic would have hit the shelves back in the late 80s. Talk about Satanic Panic! 

This is another example of the older "pressure style" holders. The book looks beautiful without the inner well, but there were questions about the safety of these slabs. Anyone have any updates on how these have held up over the years? Or did everyone panic and get them reholdered? 

edited 125.jpg

The panic is well funded, just look at the two examples you posted. You can see the stress on the books, hope these haven't been permanently damaged and were reholdered in time 

Loving this thread 🥰

On 5/20/2023 at 3:28 AM, Poutine said:

The panic is well funded, just look at the two examples you posted. You can see the stress on the books, hope these haven't been permanently damaged and were reholdered in time 

Loving this thread 🥰

I honestly can't remember if I had them reholdered or not. :(

I know that I was considering having them ALL reholdered when the new "corrected" slabs were released. I think the current design is perfect, and I hope they keep it forever, but I know they wont. Businesses can't seem to learn the whole "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" mantra. Upgrades for the sake of it aren't always necessary or good. 

Of course, the fact that an obsessed weirdo like me would pay to have them all reholdered is one of the justifications for redesign. 

Not sure why they were sold on the "pressure" design when there are so many delicate books from the Golden Age out there. For example, I'd hate to trust partially detached covers to those slabs. Like I said earlier, probably the worst moment in the company's entire history. I remember tons of drama. 

The one thing that I wish CGC would do is also offer some custom labels for Spawn. These books do beg for some custom labels.

As soon as I get any Spawn books that have all black covers + being a key book and they are 9.8 candidates, I do send them off to CGC with each batch. Not that I can't place them in a toploader and call it it a day, but do want those to be graded ASAP.

SPAWN 128 - CGC 9.8 

Not a fan of this "picture frame" cover. I think it would have been much better with the central art spread across the entire cover. 

128 edit.jpg

You will have to forgive me. 

I'm going to take a week or so off. 

I'm closing on the sale of my home and the purchase of another, and I've just started my literature review and topic proposal for post-grad school. Lots and lots of stuff going on, and I will be without Internet for a few days. 

I'd go ahead and post 131, but I want to give it the proper commentary, and I'm honestly just pretty tired. 

Check back in the first full week of June. 

SPAWN 131 - CGC 9.8 

I'm nervous when the issue of print runs comes up, and I'd like to say that, while I do have my sources, some people I respect have questioned their veracity. I don't claim to be correct, but I have looked for the best (or only) available information. I'm not an insider. I didn't work at the press. 

That being said...

I remember a bit of lore back in the day about this being the lowest print run Spawn ever, but it's simply not true. What is certain is that there are a lot fewer of these than any of the first 100 issues. The print runs continue to decline as the decade progresses. Still about 8 years or so away from the bottom, however. 

This is a beautiful cover! I love this issue. I almost picked up another one a few weeks ago at auction, but I got distracted and missed the closing minutes. 

131.jpg