• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

820 posts in this topic

SPAWN 108 - CGC 9.8 

A seemingly forgotten Sam and Twitch cover. 

Again, a TOUGH black cover. 

We are getting well into the range of "these are pretty darn tough to find in grade" era. Just scroll back over the last dozen or so issues and imagine all the gallons of black ink that were rolled out. Also, while the print runs are still in the tens of thousands at this point, they are starting a steep decline. I actually made a chart once. It will take some serious digging to find it, but I will try when my life settles down a bit. 

edited spawn 108 .jpg

On 4/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, newshane said:

I had to quit Spawn like a bad habit. No interest in going back and reading them again. Not all the stories were bad, but I'm of the persuasion that Spawn is "all about the art." 

That being said, I may reacquire a few of my very favorites. The problem is that I have an obsession with Golden Age books, and I feel like every dime is better spent there. At least for me.  

Totally understandable. Expensive hobby either way, my friend lol As long as you're enjoying the journey!

On 4/28/2023 at 10:43 AM, Browns81 said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else not seeing Spawn ANYWHERE?  Never at half price books despite being one of the hottest books of the 90s.  Never at any of the LCSs I go to occasionally, even at marked up prices.  

Yes, I noticed this very quickly when I committed to complete my Spawn collection (still have 80+ issues to go) and it's difficult yet very fun to find these issues!

On 4/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, Browns81 said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else not seeing Spawn ANYWHERE?  Never at half price books despite being one of the hottest books of the 90s.  Never at any of the LCSs I go to occasionally, even at marked up prices.  

Not just you.  I went to a con last week and all the Spawns they had were of the recent run (after issue 300).  No older books except the expensive ones like 119, 174 and 175.  Only place finding them are on ebay and whatnot.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, waynemel said:

Not just you.  I went to a con last week and all the Spawns they had were of the recent run (after issue 300).  No older books except the expensive ones like 119, 174 and 175.  Only place finding them are on ebay and whatnot.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Mewie said:

Yes, I noticed this very quickly when I committed to complete my Spawn collection (still have 80+ issues to go) and it's difficult yet very fun to find these issues!

You guys are not lying about that as its very difficult to get most of these low print run books. The last 2 weeks I've been pretty lucky between my LCS and a FB show that I frequent, they got a good amount of Spawn books that I need to fill in for this run. I've been primarily going after the mid- to larger keys so that way I can get those out of the way. I figure if anything, those will be the books that will be harder to find as time goes on and especially some of these insanely low print books too.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, newshane said:

I had to quit Spawn like a bad habit. No interest in going back and reading them again. Not all the stories were bad, but I'm of the persuasion that Spawn is "all about the art." 

That being said, I may reacquire a few of my very favorites. The problem is that I have an obsession with Golden Age books, and I feel like every dime is better spent there. At least for me.  

Agreed. 

Spawn was a rollercoaster for me. 
1-18, epic! Loved it, flaws and all… then the Houdini storyline, and McFarlane’s last run felt really weak.

Capullo on as regular at issue 26 was a saving grace. The return of Angela! Al’s new costume… The Violator! It was a good lead up to issue 50. 

After 50, the next 20 issues were okay but by 70ish issues you could tell they were just spinning their wheels and I found myself flipping through the books, and not even reading them.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, D2 said:

After 50, the next 20 issues were okay but by 70ish issues you could tell they were just spinning their wheels and I found myself flipping through the books, and not even reading them.

Thankfully we had McFarlane's issue recaps in the indicia! 

SPAWN 114 - CGC 9.8

How many greasy fingerprints ever ruined one of these? You fart on this one, and it's already down to fine plus. 

Spawn 114 edited .jpg

SPAWN 117 - CGC 9.8 

First decade in the books. Lasted longer than the initial critics thought. 

edited 117 .jpg