• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

817 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2023 at 9:33 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 65 - CGC 9.8 

Here is an interesting cover. Photo from the movie with some embellishment. Honestly, I forgot all about this issue. Certainly not the most desirable in the run, but I guess it has its own allure just because it strays from the par. 

EDITED Spawn 65 F.jpg

That's Todd on the cover in the middle panel. He will sign this book for free.

On 2/28/2023 at 6:39 PM, newshane said:

Let me know how it turns out! 

I don't understand why I had such a hard time. A bazillion of these were printed. 

Definitely NOT the case for 156, however. 

I finally dug out my copy today from storage... and I totally forgot it came with the Toy Catalog which I also added as part of this stored bag and board... probably wasn't the wisest decision because i see the spine ticks now 😅

Did you end up keeping the Toy Catalog? I wonder if it's worth anything lol 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:40 PM, Mewie said:

Did you end up keeping the Toy Catalog? I wonder if it's worth anything lol 

Nope. Straight in the trash. Well, I did look at first. 

Probably worthless. My luck? It's worth 10,000 dollars. 

Looks like Spawn's image in the "I for Image" logo in the upper left-hand corner changed with issue 64. I just noticed. Too bad, I love the original. I wish he would have stuck with it through all 300+ issues. 

SPAWN 70 - CGC 9.8 

Look at that cover. Should be easy to find 9.8s of these, right? 

One fingerprint away from 9.2. 

EDITED Spawn 70 F.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 72 - CGC 9.8 

I always liked this cover for some reason. Again, ignore the small line that looks like some sort of subscription crease. It's just a phantom line from my old scanner. Obviously, these issues are all pristine. Sometimes my scans left a little to be desired, however. And I can't exactly go back and scan them now. :(

I'll have a pretty sweet little double signature book for you guys and gals in a few days. 

edited Spawn 72 F.jpg

SPAWN 73 - CGC 9.8 

Look at the crazy detail here! I bet "The Heap" was a real beast to draw. Maybe that's why didn't we see too much of him? I think the artwork is really starting to take off here in the 70s. Capullo slowly becoming a master before our very own eyes. 

Also have to get credit to Danny Miki - THE quintessential Spawn inker, in my opinion. 

edited Spawn 73 F.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 2/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 64 - CGC 9.6 

I just checked the census. I can't believe there are a dozen universals sitting at 9.8. 

I promise you, back in my day, there were ZERO, and I just couldn't find one. Like I said earlier, it certainly wasn't for lack of trying, and try I did - for years. No dice. 

The best I could do was this 9.6, which I subbed myself. 

These were tough because:

1. They were polybagged. 

2. Newsprint interior 

3. Jet black cover art 

Don't know what else to say, other than I wish to you know where that I could have landed a 9.8. 

The only two issues standing between me and a perfect 9.8 or better FULL (and I mean ALL of the variants) run was 64 and 156 (there still aren't any). 

Oh well. Everyone has their own white whale, don't they? 

Spawn 64 F.jpg

White Whale For Sale

58261107-0034-44BA-BFDB-7CC243D0B6BE.jpeg

Edited by D2

SPAWN 74 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY GREG CAPULLO AND TODD MCFARLANE 

The masters signed this about a month apart. As usual, hats off to my facilitators. 

I was always able to window the book for placement, and the artists were usually extremely accommodating. I could even request the color used to sign. 

I thought this book was begging for a signature, just because it's kind of bare. Lots of black space there to make the colors pop. Two beautiful, super clean signatures! Definitely adds spice to a relatively blah cover. 

EDITED Spawn 74 SS F.jpg

One of the things I find most interesting about the Spawn collectors' community is that Spawn seems to be virtually unique among Modern comics, in that mid-run books are still sought after, and (relatively) lower print run issues demand competitive prices. Sure, there's a lot of wider attention to #1 and #7 -- more traditional keys -- but I'm not sure there are many other books of this era where the graph of issue number versus market value follows anything like the curve on this title.

On 3/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, Qalyar said:

One of the things I find most interesting about the Spawn collectors' community is that Spawn seems to be virtually unique among Modern comics, in that mid-run books are still sought after, and (relatively) lower print run issues demand competitive prices. Sure, there's a lot of wider attention to #1 and #7 -- more traditional keys -- but I'm not sure there are many other books of this era where the graph of issue number versus market value follows anything like the curve on this title.

I have noticed this kind of thing too with Spawn. While the earlier part of the run has some really high print numbers, these books are still in demand. Then when you look at the lower print run issues that start around #115 or so, and then the print runs get lower and lower the higher the numbers. I think I saw where some books even only had a 12,000 print run. We've read and seen interviews where Todd McFarlane hopes and wants to see his creation out live him. Hopefully it does as I think there is a lot that could be done with the character and universe in general. Let's say years down the road after McFarlane they can pull off some kind of TV or movies, many of these books will be the ones that pop. Look at the first appearance of Gunslinger Spawn and what it is worth. 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, captainzombie said:

Look at the first appearance of Gunslinger Spawn and what it is worth. 

Please don't remind me. :cry: