• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

820 posts in this topic

SPAWN 159 - CGC 9.8 

I will stop saying these are some of the tougher books, lest I sound like a broken record. 

I think there are three pentagram covers in the series. I'm going by memory here, not an official count. 

159.jpg

On 7/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I have not seen this book before this thread and I'm kind of surprised. When I pushed to finish my run I hit every store between Milwaukee and Chicago and more than a few shows asking after 'any oddball Spawn?' Thanks for sharing 

I've been debating whether to send the Musings Spawn issue off to CGC to grade (to put up for sale). Mine is definitely high grade 9.6/9.8 territory. I just don't know how Spawn collectors would see its value. Currently there are only 4 on the census and the highest is a 9.6 (of which there is only 1 of) everything else is lower grade.  There are a handful of raw copies on ebay but they're all listed as 8 or below (and mostly well below - even the self-described 8 is highly questionable), it's not the kind of book that was stored well.

It's a tricky book to assess because on the one hand it's not in the same territory as a Malibu Sun but it is a rare book that's maybe noteworthy and has potential to garner more interest over time so just pricing a high grade copy for $150 or so might look incredibly stupid a few years down the road if it gains more notoriety or interest. What do others think a high grade copy should be priced at? Is it of interest to the hardcore spawn collectors? If newshane were still building his collection would it be a must own? Maybe I should make this its own thread.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:20 PM, Pixx_L said:

I've been debating whether to send the Musings Spawn issue off to CGC to grade (to put up for sale). Mine is definitely high grade 9.6/9.8 territory. I just don't know how Spawn collectors would see its value. Currently there are only 4 on the census and the highest is a 9.6 (of which there is only 1 of) everything else is lower grade.  There are a handful of raw copies on ebay but they're all listed as 8 or below (and mostly well below - even the self-described 8 is highly questionable), it's not the kind of book that was stored well.

It's a tricky book to assess because on the one hand it's not in the same territory as a Malibu Sun but it is a rare book that's maybe noteworthy and has potential to garner more interest over time so just pricing a high grade copy for $150 or so might look incredibly stupid a few years down the road if it gains more notoriety or interest. What do others think a high grade copy should be priced at? Is it of interest to the hardcore spawn collectors? If newshane were still building his collection would it be a must own? Maybe I should make this its own thread.

I was chasing empty slots on the registry, so I probably would have ignored the issue. Of course, I may have purchased it in 9.8 and followed up with a request to add it to the registry. 

Price? I have no idea. In general, it's always better to ask a high price and negotiate with anyone who shows interest. Your other option is to sell it quickly for $100 then swallow a river of tears when you see it go for $1000 the following month. 

If I were you, I'd start high to gauge interest. If the book doesn't move, hype it up and start an auction. 

The first step is to get it graded. 

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 163 - CGC 9.8 

I think it might be interesting for me, and hopefully entertaining for you, if I compiled a list of my favorites - books that I will one day buy and own again. 

This one would definitely be on there! 

Out of all the darkness - a claw glows green with necroplasm! 

Seriously. In hand, it makes you feel like it's glowing. Hard to capture the effect of some of this art through scans alone. 

163.jpg

On 7/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, newshane said:

SPAWN 163 - CGC 9.8 

I think it might be interesting for me, and hopefully entertaining for you, if I compiled a list of my favorites - books that I will one day buy and own again. 

This one would definitely be on there! 

Out of all the darkness - a claw glows green with necroplasm! 

Seriously. In hand, it makes you feel like it's glowing. Hard to capture the effect of some of this art through scans alone. 

163.jpg

I do like this cover a lot

SPAWN 164 - CGC 9.8 

Another one of my favorites. There are some serious bangers in the 150s and 160s! Tan was on fire, and every now and then Capullo would come back to drop something awesome for the cover. 

164.jpg

SPAWN 165 - CGC 9.8 

Yeah. I'd say 150-170 is probably my favorite stretch, overall. 

This cover is beautiful and so clean! Another must have! The demand is a bit higher for this issue, so it may command a premium on the market. First appearance of Mandarin Spawn. Really cool story as well! 

165.jpg

SPAWN 166 - CGC 9.8 

They started to experiment here with the layout, using the left margin of the cover for various information. Not a fan. 

166.jpg

SPAWN 166 - CGC 9.8 - VARIANT COVER 

I've always used some sort of source when discussing print runs. Even so, I've been called out about the veracity of my sources. I'm just an avid collector working with the information available to me. With that disclaimer out of the way...

This is a very tough book, and the print run was relatively low. And I mean low. 

Lot's of people overlook this book when compiling runs of the series.

Any premium for this book is well deserved. 

166 s.jpg

SPAWN 167 - CGC 9.8 

Brian Haberlin is the new cover artist here. Enter the era of digital art! EDIT - Capullo's cover art. 

Have you noticed how often the creative team changes during this era? I think the series was really struggling to establish a solid identity at the time. 

167.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 169 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNATURE SERIES - SIGNED BY BRAIN HABERLIN 

Has it been 9 years already? 

Signed at SDCC 2014. 

Not a signature you see every day! I love the way this one turned out. I windowed the book so he would sign vertically. 

Digital cover by Haberlin. I love Spawn lurking in the background! 

169.jpg

Edited by newshane