• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

820 posts in this topic

SPAWN 230 - CGC 9.8 

It's actually a Batman 423 homage. Yet another CGC :censored: up. 

Batman 423 is one of my very favorite McFarlane covers. This one is even better, really. 

230.jpg

SPAWN 230 Sketch - CGC 9.8 

I love this one in black and white as well. 

Another erroneous label. This book was submitted the same month it hit the market, so it was one of the first to be graded and labeled. The CGC seems to have long fixed the labeling error. 

230bw.jpg

SPAWN 231 0 CGC 9.8 

Another banger! Love it! 

No notation on this label. Again, CGC has been very inconsistent with notating this entire series. Obviously, a Spider-Man 1 homage. 

231.jpg

On 11/18/2023 at 3:13 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 231 0 CGC 9.8 

Another banger! Love it! 

No notation on this label. Again, CGC has been very inconsistent with notating this entire series. Obviously, a Spider-Man 1 homage. 

231.jpg

Technically would this be a Spawn 8 recreation?

On 11/19/2023 at 8:03 AM, D2 said:

Technically would this be a Spawn 8 recreation?

I consider Spawn 8 and Spawn 231 to be recreations of Spider-man 1, which pre-dates both. 

If you look at the layout design of the front cover, 231 is closer to Spider-man 1 than Spawn 8, so I give it the nod. 

Edited by newshane

On 11/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, newshane said:

I consider Spawn 8 and Spawn 231 to be recreations of Spider-man 1, which pre-dates both. 

If you look at the layout design of the front cover, 231 is closer to Spider-man 1 than Spawn 8, so I give it the nod. 

Totally Spidey.  It'd be funnier if it was signed "McFarlane after McFarlane." :) 

SPAWN 231 SKETCH - CGC 9.8 

Man, it's so hard to pick a favorite homage cover from this run! 

spawn 231 sketch .jpg

SPAWN 232 - CGC 9.8 

Homage covers are over. 

Back to regular content. Unfortunately, the trend of having a sketch or black and white cover for each issue will continue for a long time. This is where the fatigue started to get me. 

Yes, at this time in the series (issues 185-250), the Hellspawn is a white man named Jim Downing. 

Interesting how the banner at the top of the front cover is advertising the longevity of the art team. Obviously, that was a concern at one point. 

232.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 11/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, newshane said:

Interesting how the banner at the top of the front cover is advertising the longevity of the art team. Obviously, that was a concern at one point. 

I've never seen that before on a comic cover. Were readers getting fed up with no Todd involvement (I'm guessing) & a rotating roster of artists?

On 11/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, LadyDeath said:

I've never seen that before on a comic cover. Were readers getting fed up with no Todd involvement (I'm guessing) & a rotating roster of artists?

Yes. Stability and continuity was a huge problem throughout the title's history. 

SPAWN 233 - CGC 9.8 BW

I really love the powder blue (baby blue?) logo here. Looks great on that black and white..

233bw.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 11/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, pmpknface said:

Carolina blue!  :D  

And it pops on both covers!  

Yep. Definitely looks like Tar heel blue. 

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 234 SKETCH COVER - CGC 9.8 

234bw.jpg

Edited by newshane