• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

817 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 6:16 PM, pmpknface said:

Cool cover.  I thought we'd see the Blood Feud mini first, but I'll take it!  ;) 

We'll do Blood Feud tomorrow. (thumbsu

On 3/10/2024 at 10:21 AM, ramithard said:

After amassing this Giant Collection of beautiful books, how could you sell it ????

To buy stuff like this...

IMG_6039.jpg

On 3/10/2024 at 2:47 PM, Qalyar said:

So your next thread is going to be a 9.2+ run of Planet, I assume? ;)

Well, I did have a 9.2 Okajima Planet as well at one point, now that you mention it. :whistle:

On 3/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN: BLOOD FEUD 1 - CGC 9.8 

Story by the reclusive Alan Moore...

bf1.jpg

I'm not sure I recall this being an Alan Moore story.  Cool!  I got my copies signed by Daniel in Chicago a lifetime ago.  

Posted (edited)

SPAWN: BLOOD FEUD 3 - CGC 9.8 

Wouldn't be a Spawn book if it weren't dripping with black, which makes high-grade a very tough find. All the white marks/imperfections were flaws in the case or scanner noise/glass imperfections, not the book itself. 

We will take a look at a lesser known mini-series starting tomorrow...all three issues will be signed. 

bf3.jpg

Edited by newshane

HELLSPAWN 1 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY BRIAN BENDIS 

A lesser known mini-series. Signed by the author. 

I always enjoyed Wood's non-traditional take on Spawn. His work is instantly recognizable. 

hell1.jpg

HELLSPAWN 3 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY BRIAN BENDIS

That's it for Hellspawn. What would you like to see next? I'll see if I have it in the collection and will post tomorrow. 

hs3.jpg

We're in deeply strange territory with these adjacent books now. I know Hellspawn ended after Bendis fell out with Todd, although I never understood the reasons why. Probably for the best anyway. I was buying Spawn in '96 but have zero memory of this Impaler series even though I'm a Mike Grell fan. A quick Google search of the artwork validates the reasons for it being lost to the sands of time - yikes. In retrospect, some of these Image books feel like true cash grabs by certain creators. I hope they were lucrative at the time.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:48 PM, J Bill said:

We're in deeply strange territory with these adjacent books now. I know Hellspawn ended after Bendis fell out with Todd, although I never understood the reasons why. Probably for the best anyway. I was buying Spawn in '96 but have zero memory of this Impaler series even though I'm a Mike Grell fan. A quick Google search of the artwork validates the reasons for it being lost to the sands of time - yikes. In retrospect, some of these Image books feel like true cash grabs by certain creators. I hope they were lucrative at the time.

Thanks for the comment! I enjoy hearing people's perspective and knowledge!

Tune in tomorrow for a Mike Grell signature - one of the most perfectly placed signatures in the entire collection. 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:40 PM, newshane said:

Thanks for the comment! I enjoy hearing people's perspective and knowledge!

Tune in tomorrow for a Mike Grell signature - one of the most perfectly placed signatures in the entire collection. 

Bendis did a Sam & Twitch book as well, correct? That may have been the series that ended the partnership, not Hellspawn.

On 3/16/2024 at 3:03 PM, J Bill said:

Bendis did a Sam & Twitch book as well, correct? 

Yes. 

As for which title caused the fallout, I have no idea.