• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

817 posts in this topic

CRUSADE OF COMICS PRESENTS SPAWN 1 - CGC 9.9 

Notes from Spawnworld:This mini comic was sold inside "Todd McFarlane" Creates Lotus" video cassette packages. It is smaller than a usual comic at 4" by 7.5" and 12 pages.

It recounts the origin story. 

Finding a 9.9 copy of a mini-comic sold inside of a VHS case...TOUGH. This was and still is the top census copy. 

crusade.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 2/28/2024 at 6:13 PM, newshane said:

Notes from Spawnworld:This mini comic was sold inside "Todd McFarlane" Creates Lotus" video cassette packages. It is smaller than a usual comic at 4" by 7.5" and 12 pages.

Finding a 9.9 copy of a mini-comic sold inside of a VHS case...TOUGH. This was and still is the top census copy. 

crusade.jpg

I have never seen or even heard of this! Cool!

On 2/28/2024 at 5:13 PM, newshane said:

crusade.jpg

That book is fantastic. Only copy of this I've ever seen looked like it had taken a turn inside the VCR 

SPAWN: BOOK OF SOULS - CGC 9.8 

Old label goodness! I remember that my copy of Spawn 4 (CGC 9.9) was in an old RED label. I wish I would have kept that one in the old holder. Old school CGC books are starting to achieve their own status as collectibles...at least to some people.  

9ldlab.jpg

On 2/28/2024 at 7:42 PM, pmpknface said:

crusade.jpg

Expand  

I have never seen or even heard of this! Cool!

My local shop had 10 of them for sale many years ago and I bought them all, but I had to research it 
as well to find out what they were. 

So, I was looking at information about the Lotus VHS release. At least some copies apparently came packaged with a full-size copy of Spawn 1 (in addition to the mini comic packed into the VHS sleeve), presumably a reprint. Any idea if those Spawn 1s are uniquely distinguishable, or if they're identical to ... some other Spawn 1s?

SPAWN SIMONY - CGC 9.8 

English translation of a Spawn story originally written in French. 

I hear that Spawn is tremendously popular in France. 

simony.jpg

On 3/2/2024 at 7:18 PM, Qalyar said:

So, I was looking at information about the Lotus VHS release. At least some copies apparently came packaged with a full-size copy of Spawn 1 (in addition to the mini comic packed into the VHS sleeve), presumably a reprint. Any idea if those Spawn 1s are uniquely distinguishable, or if they're identical to ... some other Spawn 1s?

I'm not certain. My guess is that there was no difference. There were more than enough copies floating around to end up in giveaways, and the VHS was released back in 1992. I seriously doubt there was a special printing. 

@Lobstrosity

Maybe Trent will know? 

SPAWN-BATMAN - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY FRANK MILLER AND TODD MCFARLANE

I've explained this before, but I really took the time to window the books for prime signature placement. I also requested specific ink colors. Things didn't always turn out the way I planned, but many times they did. 

See how the font on the cover is silver for Miller and gold for Todd? 

Now notice the signature inks. Also, the placement. Batman was on top...so was Miller's sig. 

:wink:

The twin sigs make something special of an otherwise non-spectacular book (sold about a billion copies, very common in high grade). 

spawnbat.jpg

On 3/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, newshane said:

I'm not certain. My guess is that there was no difference. There were more than enough copies floating around to end up in giveaways, and the VHS was released back in 1992. I seriously doubt there was a special printing. 

@Lobstrosity

Maybe Trent will know? 

That's correct - there was no difference in the Spawn #1 included with the VHS vs any other Spawn #1 you could buy on the street. The "Crusade of Comics" book was the exclusive one.

SPAWN/BATMAN WAR DEVIL - CGC 9.8 

What the world...needs now...

isn't love...sweet love...

it's another Spawn/Batman crossover. Here ya go! 

Again, pardon the reflections from these double-thick slabs. 

batspawn.jpg