• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

817 posts in this topic

SPAWN 273 - CGC 9.8 

Yep. Another cover artist with whom I'm unfamiliar. 

Ramon Nunez. Nice work! Again, keeping with the vibe. 

273.jpg

On 2/14/2024 at 7:59 PM, newshane said:

Yep. Another cover artist with whom I'm unfamiliar. 

Ramon Nunez. Nice work! Again, keeping with the vibe. 

I don't actually know very much about him, either, except that he's Spanish.

One of the things I really like about this run of Spawn covers is their artists. They aren't all super-established household names. Sure, the shine was off Spawn as a title... well, before these late 200s issues, surely. But it's still a premiere title with a lot of name recognition, and Image was giving cover shots to relatively un-established artists, many of whom have diverse international backgrounds.

And frankly, a lot of covers they got from that experiment are really good.

SPAWN 274 VARIANT - CGC 9.8 

At last...tomorrow we begin looking at the very last numerical issue along with a few of its variants, and that will be that for the regular run! 

274v.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 275 - CGC 9.8 

Brutally difficult book early on because of a manufacturer flaw. I've blown up the impacted section of the front cover under the handle of the scythe. This is on every single copy that I've ever encountered. 

I think that the CGC finally wised up to this after seeing it so consistently. Seems like they overlooked it by the time I bought this copy. I had been self-subbing for a while at this point, but I always got 9.6s on this issue. I bought this graded copy several months after the release. 

Honestly a tough book to submit raw. Just find a graded copy. 

A cursory glance at the copies on eBay all showed the same flaw. It's not part of the artwork. It's a rub and sometime presents as an rub AND indention. I even saw one eBayer who appeared to have touched up the flaw in Paint or Photoshop. (tsk) Just be on the lookout folks! 

275.jpg

flaw.JPG

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 275 VARIANT - CGC 9.8 

One more variant left in the main title collection! We will wrap up this part of the collection tomorrow before moving on to various odds and ends. 

275v.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 5:52 PM, newshane said:

From this point, you're going to see some very, very interesting and obscure books in the Spawn Universe. I don't know where to begin, so it may seem kind of random from here on out. You never know what you might see...

I'm looking forward to this.  I'm hoping for some Wizard Fan Editions, Medieval Spawn / Witchblade, Angela, Violator, and maybe some x-overs!  :popcorn:

What a collection. Thank you for taking this time to share all this with us.

I know many people have fallen off of Spawn in general and some of the writing is not there like it used to be, but I will say one thing is the book has been consistent and at $2.99 a month you can't beat that. While McFarlane is the ultimate hype man for his books and toy figure lines, he does come off as a genuine person, and that is one thing that I praise the guy about. There are so many clowns in this industry, yet he still is awesome with the fans and the media. His signature is expensive, but I can understand for the personality that he has become.

The only thing I hate is that there are even more Spawn Universe books out this year, which I hope it doesn't become overkill. I am still buying Spawn, Gunslinger Spawn, and The Scorched. I did drop off of King Spawn, the book just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:41 AM, ramithard said:

care to reveal what the collection sold for?......asking for a friend....

:whistle:

Hmmm...

well...I guess the best answer is...

NOT ENOUGH. 

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 1 FAN EDITION - GOLD FOIL VARIANT - CGC 9.8 

I wanted to say this is a tough one, but there are way more on the census than I thought. 

There are ten of these now, including this copy. 

gfoil.jpg

SPAWN FAN EDITION 2 - CGC 9.8 

Nordic Spawn? 

Yeah. I'm down with that. Nothing wrong with a little Fimbulvetr

fan2.jpg

Edited by newshane