• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 45. What should I do with it?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

I got this issue, Captain America 45,  a while back.

It's in pretty rough shape. I really like it though.

I just want your opinion on what you would do with it if it was your copy.

I might take a pic of the back later.

But for now, here's the front.

20221229_120554.jpg

20221229_122210.jpg

20221229_122155.jpg

Edited by Comiclover3000

Hey it may be ratty but it’s a cool cover. Enjoy it until you aren’t interested then sell it to someone else who’s like it.

Unless you plan on dropping lots of dough you won’t get a nice copy of that book. And then it will be slabbed most likely. And in that case I’d want this copy as a reader to go with it! 

So upgrade and keep it!

I would say it depends on your collecting focus: do you have other, higher-grade Caps and this one wouldn't really fit in your collection? Or do you generally collect lower-grade books?

Unless it's sentimental, it may not be worth the expense of restoration or conservation.

I don't collect GA superhero books - if it were mine, I'd either make a decision to start collecting GA caps in low grade and keep it as my first one, or if that wasn't my desire, I'd sell it off and use the funds on a book that fit my collecting focus (as long as I didn't have a bunch invested in it - if I did, I'd sit on it for awhile and sell it later.)

On 12/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, Mmehdy said:

On 12/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:

^not sure how to unquote you guys, sorry

Hey everyone,

I decided to send it in to get graded and to preserve it. I don't plan on selling it.

It's pretty sentimental to me.

Edited by Comiclover3000

On 12/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, Comiclover3000 said:

Hey everyone,

I decided to send it in to get graded and to preserve it. I don't plan on selling it.

Checked for the sales history.  I assumed your book is about FA to FA/GD unless it's completed included the back cover and all pages are accounted for. The price ranges $167 to $475. The last sale was 2019.  50 bucks for this book is a nice investment. 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, JollyComics said:

Checked for the sales history.  I assumed your book is about FA to FA/GD unless it's completed included the back cover and all pages are accounted for. The price ranges $167 to $475. The last sale was 2019.  50 bucks for this book is a nice investment. 

Oh yeah, it's complete. All pages, front and back cover too 😀

Yea, only paid $50 for this back when I was in high school 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, Comiclover3000 said:

Hey everyone,

The turn-around times on economy-tier books are very long. If you send it in, you won't see it for many months.

To be honest with you, most people only slab low-grade books in order to help sell them. Putting it into a 2-mil Mylite with a fullback and some microchamber paper would probably preserve it just as well as putting it into a slab.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/29/2022 at 4:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

To be honest with you, most people only slab low-grade books in order to help sell them. Putting into a 2-mil Mylite with a fullback and some microchamber paper would probably preserve it just as well as putting it into a slab.

Agree with this. Also, the top edge looks trimmed -- not the end of the world but probably not a book I'd hurry to get graded. I'd imagine you'd be looking at an Apparent 1.0 to 1.5, something in that neighborhood, so as long as you're comfortable with that. 2c  Neat one to own for sure!