• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA experts, give me your thoughts on foxing...
3 3

24 posts in this topic

So, I'm dipping my toes into the world of Golden Age books after years of collecting Bronze and the occasional Silver. Mainly Action Comics and Superman. In looking for a copy of Superman 24 to call my own, Ive noticed that a number of the books I've come across have "moderate foxing to cover" in the grader's notes.

Just wondering how much of a deal breaker foxing is for you serious Golden Age collectors? I'm able to avoid foxing completely in my Bronze collecting endeavors, and my understanding is that foxing is unpredictable and can worsen over time when already present.

Is the presence of foxing reason enough on its own to avoid a book, or is it just a reality of mid-to-low grade Golden Age collecting?

Thanks in advance!

Foxing is dead mold. I’m told it will not advance further, assuming proper storage conditions. I therefore have no fear of it unless it affects the eye appeal. Clean covers are important to me. I avoid foxing if it is an eyesore, much as I would dust shadows, tanning and staining. I’d rather not have it, but if it’s my only chance at a book I want, I’m not scared of it, personally.

Oh man! My eyes!

The above two examples show well the range of it. I wouldn't buy a book that looked like the second example, but no issue at all with the first.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Now, this is a BIG no, no. I got this book from a major dealer with no mention of it.  I noticed a slight water ripple with no stain to the cover. When I opened it, I saw this. Back it went…

FE3AFC1E-A036-4C47-82D3-DE24F5000079.jpeg

I hope you were wearing your N-95 when you opened up that second one.  Yikes!

For me, foxing is definitely a deal breaker on silver age and up.  On golden age, some amount of it is acceptable if its minor and not unsightly.  You may not see the book again for years so there has to be a little give.  If the book is properly stored after you buy it, any existing foxing shouldn't worsen... I've had books with foxing for decades with no further ill effects.    

Follow-up question about miscuts: I've noticed that miscuts seem to be much more common among Golden Age books I've been looking at. Is this the case? Are GA collectors more forgiving of miscuts? Thanks again in advance.