• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Im always intrigued by Alan Moore's related material.  The David Lloyd V for Vendetta page and both Totleben's pages (Swamp Thing #50 & Miracleman #16) seemed to have finished at the lower end of the spectrum. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:48 AM, tth2 said:

You have a very different spectrum from me.  It wasn't that long ago that V pages were available for 4 figures.  I thought this price was very strong.

I thought the V page was fine too, especially considering most of the V figures were stats IIRC.

I don't know if some other pages have sold privately for more, but, the Miracleman #16 page result struck me as fine as well at $21K. Really pretty page I have to say. 

The Swamp Thing #50 page maybe went a touch light at $5,760; I would have probably pegged it around $6500-$7000 personally, but, "not the best pages from desirable runs" didn't fare so well in this sale (I thought the ST #50 page was decent, but, the few & tiny ST images capped the value IMO). Like the JRJR UXM #181 page went cheap (3rd tier page but a very low price for JRJR X-Men these days). Heck, even the pretty good JRJR UXM #200 page definitely sold cheaply; I was expecting $10-15K on that all day long. Similarly, if you just wanted just "an example" of a Kraven's Last Hunt page, you could have picked one up fairly reasonably in this sale (no Spidey or Kraven of course). 

Edited by delekkerste

On 4/3/2023 at 11:09 PM, delekkerste said:

I thought the V page was fine too, especially considering most of the V figures were stats IIRC.

Exactly. Panels 6-8 were all stats. I was hoping it would land in the low 20s. Thought it was on par with pricing for V pages. A page with no stats with V would probably have been in the high 30s at least. 

Thought the real deal was the Sandman page with morpheus ending at 90k. That's for the heavy hitters but a steal. I don't see that ever selling below that amt. Reminds me when Frankenstein plates were 'affordable' once and I thought they were too expensive. 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:18 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Im always intrigued by Alan Moore's related material.  The David Lloyd V for Vendetta page and both Totleben's pages (Swamp Thing #50 & Miracleman #16) seemed to have finished at the lower end of the spectrum. 

I was just talking to someone who thought the V page (as it wasn't V on the page) as being pretty strong. 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, delekkerste said:

Heck, even the pretty good JRJR UXM #200 page definitely sold cheaply; I was expecting $10-15K on that all day long

There was some back door gamesmanship on this one,,, it would have went higher for a fact if some favors were not done amongst friends so it could be United with the page before it , OA politics at its best! Lol (it wasn’t me who got it fyi) 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, Grendel72 said:

Exactly. Panels 6-8 were all stats. I was hoping it would land in the low 20s. Thought it was on par with pricing for V pages. A page with no stats with V would probably have been in the high 30s at least. 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, delekkerste said:

I don't know if some other pages have sold privately for more, but, the Miracleman #16 page result struck me as fine as well at $21K. Really pretty page I have to say. 

I was expecting the V page to be around the 30s, but I did not realize a portion of the V page was stats. The Miracleman page is definitely beautiful art. A lot better looking than some other pages of the run ending recently at similar prices. Totleben is at his best in this one.  I had it at high 20s-low 30s

Edited by Matches_Malone

My 2 cents - pretty aligned with others

I thought V page was on target...a quick story, I remember passing on a Ditko ASM 13 because it wasn't Spidey on the page but Mysterio as Spiderman - the V page may have suffered a bit as it wasn't V, but a dummy made by V (I think)...I know a bit peculiar but for me was one reason not to stretch for it.

The Totleben MM is gorgeous - $20k seemed on target but I am not the best positioned to know

The Sandman 1 felt very well bought - one of the best pages in a classic book for under $100k...

Mark

On 4/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, dem1138 said:

Collusion at its best for the buyer but not the consignor.  As the person who was the consignor its not awesome to know that I was the victim in this scenario.  That being said, I've had an overwhelming amount of good fortune in this hobby so I don't mind giving back on this one.  Congrats to the winner!

I hear you and share your pain…it’s happened to me a few times already.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, dem1138 said:

Collusion at its best for the buyer but not the consignor.  As the person who was the consignor its not awesome to know that I was the victim in this scenario.  That being said, I've had an overwhelming amount of good fortune in this hobby so I don't mind giving back on this one.  Congrats to the winner!

You win some and you lose some., I’m sure you’ve had some wins from your friends help too. 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:54 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

You win some and you lose some., I’m sure you’ve had some wins from your friends help too. 

I didn’t know about the comic art cabals that made backroom deals to let Collector X have the shot at the next piece and then another collector gets a shot at the next piece and so on, until a friend explained the Legion of Super Heroes secret society and their acquisition rules and regulations.

I can honestly say no one collector or group of collectors has ever backed off of an auction for me.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:15 PM, Michael Browning said:

I can honestly say no one collector or group of collectors has ever backed off of an auction for me.

Have you ever asked them to?

On 4/4/2023 at 12:15 AM, Michael Browning said:

I didn’t know about the comic art cabals that made backroom deals to let Collector X have the shot at the next piece and then another collector gets a shot at the next piece and so on, until a friend explained the Legion of Super Heroes secret society and their acquisition rules and regulations.

Michael- if there is ever something you need and it falls in my wheelhouse feel free to reach out … we can always have a convo about me stepping aside! 

On 4/1/2023 at 5:45 AM, delekkerste said:

Holy cow...I thought $43.2K looked healthy, but, it sold for $66K a year ago. Yikes. :eek: 

Evidence the OA correction is officially here! Prices across the board definitely seem weaker compared to the 🤯 prices of the last two years. However this auction lacked real killer 🤯 grail level material.

My two cents.....

On 4/4/2023 at 12:39 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Michael- if there is ever something you need and it falls in my wheelhouse feel free to reach out … we can always have a convo about me stepping aside! 

I do appreciate that and I would gladly do the same for you! But, it just never occurred to me to ever do that.

I was just kidding about the secret cabal and their sinister pact (except for that Legion group, which is very real… 😬 😉).

On a serious note, I have stepped aside for a few collector friends who wanted art before, but that was because I knew it was what they collected and I just messaged and said “hey, if you want that piece, go for it.”

Now, if DeCarlo Smurfs art ever comes up at auction, I might start asking for some favors. 🤔

On 4/4/2023 at 5:00 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Evidence the OA correction is officially here! Prices across the board definitely seem weaker compared to the 🤯 prices of the last two years. However this auction lacked real killer 🤯 grail level material.

My two cents.....

I think this is basically a post-COVID correction, with prices set to return to what they were before the Pandemic, after allowing for a little “natural growth” in price increases. Prices also tend to be sticky downward in any area, so I also expect some swollen dealer inventories on the higher priced items as reality slowly sinks in.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:15 AM, Michael Browning said:

On 4/4/2023 at 12:19 AM, tth2 said:

Have you ever asked them to?

On 4/4/2023 at 12:39 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Sorry to throw cold water on all this budding camaraderie but collusion rings can be illegal and most would agree are immoral…when others do it to them 😉

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bidding-ring.asp

On 4/4/2023 at 6:55 AM, vodou said:

Sorry to throw cold water on all this budding camaraderie but collusion rings can be illegal and most would agree are immoral…when others do it to them 😉

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bidding-ring.asp

I don’t think anyone is saying they would step aside or withhold bids to hurt or help an auction, but I do believe they are saying they would let a friend go after a piece if they wanted it badly.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:06 AM, Michael Browning said:

I don’t think anyone is saying they would step aside or withhold bids to hurt or help an auction, but I do believe they are saying they would let a friend go after a piece if they wanted it badly.

Keep lying to yourself 😂