• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

Very strong prices for strip art in this auction, setting aside Peanuts, Far Side and Frazetta strips, which are a world of their own.

A Little Orphan Annie from 1924 went for $13,200.

4 Terry and the Pirates strips went for $13,000 or more, including two for $15,600 each, and prices were robust across the board.

Sad I missed that clay Mann cover although unused was a beauty and decent result for that Harley first appearance page with a microscopic Harley in the corner still a nice page with joker and Batman and Harley but got the page I really wanted on Friday so I’ll take a win :)

On 4/2/2023 at 6:05 PM, tth2 said:

4 Terry and the Pirates strips went for $13,000 or more, including two for $15,600 each, and prices were robust across the board.

Except for that lot of nine, multiple museum-exhibited Terry strips, one of which even was a Dragon Lady example, which sold for a song! That very well may have been the bargain of the auction. I would have gone higher on that lot, but, I had my eye on one of the other Terry strips in today's sale. And lost that one too. :cry: 

The Little Orphan Annie strip was well-bought...amazing piece, from the second week of the strip. Guessing a lot of people (including myself), just glossed over the listing. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 4/2/2023 at 6:38 PM, wolvergeek said:

Got my first JR JR page and Tim Sale page in this auction!

Nice, congrats! :applause: 

I was hoping that Dark Victory #8 page might do a little worse, given that it was being resold only about a year later. Sadly, it did $18K (vs. $17.4K in Feb. 2022). Seller will have lost money after fees (and sales tax, if paid), but, no discount for the new buyer (wasn't me). 

On 4/2/2023 at 6:50 PM, Rob Frey said:

that perez marvel fanfare/black widow page fetched a really, really, really strong price............. 

Thus proving once again my stupid-but-empirically-valid observation that the More Black Ink on a Page = The More It's Worth* :headbang: 

* Within reason, of course. A black square on a page is going too far!

On 4/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, Buzzetta said:

First Comic or Page of Art I've purchased in 2023. 

I've wanted an "interesting" bronze age Superman page for awhile and couldn't pass this up.  Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson Action Comics 423 Page 5 from 1973.

What I liked:

• Lex Luthor v Superman
  • Lex robbing a bank and Superman flies in to save the day.
  • Clark Kent "disappeared"
  • Dialogue naming Clark Kent, Superman, Luthor 
  • Luthor shooting Supes
  • Superman threatening to "mess up your face"

What I did not like:

• Lex's big cranium in panel one
  • Turns out it is not Luthor in the story but an imposter. 

The good outweighed the bad.  I'll take it. 

image.thumb.png.1057e9095a7280372f7540f0acaf6697.png

I was in on this one for a bit as well. Love that bottom panel! Big-head Luther or no. How many pages are there with bullets bouncing off Superman's face? The skew border in panel 4 is atypical for the era.

The Kristiansen Sandman pages were also rushed flips that flopped.

#64 page 18 (pencils only, maybe a prelim?) sold on eBay 10/08/22 for $4,000 and today for $2,640.

#64 page 23 sold on eBay 09/29/22 for $2,200 and today for $2,160.  

Both of todays numbers are including buyers premium.

ARRRRGHHHHH

I had a Heritage Live proxy bid in for a lot I really wanted. But, given that I was going to be in front of my computer when the lot went off, I cancelled the proxy bid and was just going to bid manually. 

When the lot opened, Heritage Live wouldn't let me place a bid manually, saying that I had a proxy bid in place (which I no longer did!! :pullhair: ). The lot ended at a price below my cancelled proxy bid and it didn't let me bid further. :mad: 

Same thing happened a few lots further down. But, in this case, I was able to quickly open up another browser and that one let me manually place the winning Heritage Live bids. So, I had one browser showing me able to place a live bid while the other browser showed that I had a non-existent proxy bid in place that wouldn't let me bid. :frustrated: 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:48 PM, delekkerste said:

Nice, congrats! :applause: 

I was hoping that Dark Victory #8 page might do a little worse, given that it was being resold only about a year later. Sadly, it did $18K (vs. $17.4K in Feb. 2022). Seller will have lost money after fees (and sales tax, if paid), but, no discount for the new buyer (wasn't me). 

You mean this one? :tonofbricks: Looks like it resold for 29k before selling for 18 today.

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DSale%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCA&id=1593705

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

On 4/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Yikes….

I also thought the cap splash went kinda low @ $6k w the juice.