• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My God...The Postage...The Postage!
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2023 at 5:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The post office who just charged me $17 to send 1lb Priority Mail in my own packaging:

Geez, is it some weird shape or something? Hazardous materials? Quick pricing shows under $12 for an "oversize package".

On 1/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, ttfitz said:
On 1/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The post office who just charged me $17 to send 1lb Priority Mail in my own packaging:

Geez, is it some weird shape or something? Hazardous materials? Quick pricing shows under $12 for an "oversize package".

Really I think it's normal pricing, even the flat rate boxes are above $12 I think. It could just be distance, would be my guess, but $17 is average for me too in my own packaging 

On 1/17/2023 at 6:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Really I think it's normal pricing, even the flat rate boxes are above $12 I think. It could just be distance, would be my guess, but $17 is average for me too in my own packaging 

image.thumb.png.24d5d23d306b17484f1dbf5121131a18.png

On 1/17/2023 at 10:29 PM, lizards2 said:

Buy a postage scale for $40, and sign up on pirateship - you, and your customers will save tons.

Yep - put in the same info as above, and PirateShip shows $10.48 for Priority Mail.

toro and lizards2, super, very grateful you shared that idea with us.  Had shipped through overgradebay until I stopped selling there, and was using paypal (meh) the past couple of years since, and very glad to stop sending them money wherever possible.

Edited by grebal

It gets worse. My postmaster told me the other day that when rates go up again on the 22nd, Region A and B boxes are out too, in favor of weight and distance only. I asked if remaining supplies on hand could be used up at Regional rates and he was not certain. Meant to start a new thread, but this is easier and already has readers.

Ok, so I discovered the issue: the package was 30" long - there is another surcharge if it goes over 29" lol Pretty awesome they actually don't tell you that up front so you can change your packaging.

I gave up on Pirate Ship a couple of years ago as they were always more expensive than Paypal shipping or Ebay shipping - looks like that hasn't changed. They were $26 for the same specs as input on Paypal shipping for $17. Ebay used to have a slight discount on their shipping - they still say they do, but now it's the same price if you just buy it through Paypal, so no more discount.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, Readcomix said:

It gets worse. My postmaster told me the other day that when rates go up again on the 22nd, Region A and B boxes are out too, in favor of weight and distance only. I asked if remaining supplies on hand could be used up at Regional rates and he was not certain. Meant to start a new thread, but this is easier and already has readers.

Oh no, I hadn't heard that, I use the Region A boxes all of the time! Nuts.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

I had to pay nearly $400 to return a pedal bicycle from Florida to Georgia for an amazon purchase.  I could not believe it.

I've run into that as well - we buy something on Amazon with free shipping, if we have to return it, it could be $30 or more. Average consumers are subsidizing the volume discounts all the corporate "free shipping". Granted, Amazon has negotiated cheaper pricing with the Last Mile, but come on. You ship me a 10lb box for free on an $80 item, but for me to return it it's $40? :censored:

On 1/17/2023 at 10:33 PM, Readcomix said:

It gets worse. My postmaster told me the other day that when rates go up again on the 22nd, Region A and B boxes are out too,

This is terrible news.  Regional Rate Box A is the most economical way to ship small lots of comics safely.  I probably ship out a box a week, and I'm not even doing much selling these days.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I've run into that as well - we buy something on Amazon with free shipping, if we have to return it, it could be $30 or more. Average consumers are subsidizing the volume discounts all the corporate "free shipping". Granted, Amazon has negotiated cheaper pricing with the Last Mile, but come on. You ship me a 10lb box for free on an $80 item, but for me to return it it's $40? :censored:

Give a shipper the volume Amazon does and they will be happy to give you a discount.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:50 AM, shadroch said:

Give a shipper the volume Amazon does and they will be happy to give you a discount.

I don't mind volume shippers getting discounts - I accept that part of business. Making me pay extra because you've given too deep of a discount on shipping to volume users is a point of contention with me. That being said, It will never change or go down, complaining about postage is like complaining about the weather. It's one of my old man gripes that I take enjoyment in. :preach: