• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My God...The Postage...The Postage!
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2023 at 11:41 AM, comicjack said:

You got higher shipping costs and they kick your parcels for a field goal what's wrong lol

delivery-kick.gif

On 1/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Ok, so I discovered the issue: the package was 30" long - there is another surcharge if it goes over 29" lol Pretty awesome they actually don't tell you that up front so you can change your packaging.

I gave up on Pirate Ship a couple of years ago as they were always more expensive than Paypal shipping or Ebay shipping - looks like that hasn't changed. They were $26 for the same specs as input on Paypal shipping for $17. Ebay used to have a slight discount on their shipping - they still say they do, but now it's the same price if you just buy it through Paypal, so no more discount.

Ebay shipping is still significantly cheaper than purchasing directly from USPS. Depending on the package, it's usually 20% to 40% cheaper. That being said, the USPS price increases have been pretty significant over the past 6 months. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, Readcomix said:

It gets worse. My postmaster told me the other day that when rates go up again on the 22nd, Region A and B boxes are out too, in favor of weight and distance only. I asked if remaining supplies on hand could be used up at Regional rates and he was not certain. Meant to start a new thread, but this is easier and already has readers.

According to USPS.COM:

Effective January 22, 2023, Regional Rate Boxes will be discontinued. After that date, remaining Regional Rate Boxes can still be used for shipping, but they will be treated as weight and rate packages. Customers who currently use these boxes are encouraged to place orders before supplies are depleted.

The recommended alternative for Regional Rate Box pricing is Priority Mail Cubic. Priority Mail Cubic is a sub-service of Priority Mail in which commercial customers ship items using their own packaging and the pricing is based on the outer dimensions of the package rather than weight. In addition:

• This option offers similar cost savings as Regional Rate boxes.
  • Priority Mail Cubic packages must measure 0.5 cubic feet or less, weigh 20 pounds or less, and the longest dimension may not exceed 18 inches.
  • Priority Mail Cubic has zone pricing with five price tiers up to 0.5 cubic feet

On 1/18/2023 at 11:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I don't mind volume shippers getting discounts - I accept that part of business. Making me pay extra because you've given too deep of a discount on shipping to volume users is a point of contention with me. That being said, It will never change or go down, complaining about postage is like complaining about the weather. It's one of my old man gripes that I take enjoyment in. :preach:

Shipping costs and expenses were why I gave so many books to MCS and one of the reasons I sold everything off.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, shadroch said:

Shipping costs and expenses were why I gave so many books to MCS and one of the reasons I sold everything off.

I remember you parting with everything awhile back - that was a solid move for sure. I think the postage costs of everything is really going to start hampering the little guys on the totem pole.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:05 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Ebay shipping is still significantly cheaper than purchasing directly from USPS. Depending on the package, it's usually 20% to 40% cheaper. That being said, the USPS price increases have been pretty significant over the past 6 months. 

Agreed. USPS postage is pricey, Ebay and Paypal are now the same with their discounts. I will be checking Pirate Ship as well to see if it will track lower beyond the one package I estimated earlier.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, Tnexus said:

Parcel post is going to be a lot more popular here soon. That actually went down in price. What really hurts is the cost of shipping a comic in a Gemini has gone up about 60 cents if shipping coast to coast.

Hope they can oust Dejoy here soon.

A few months ago my local post office guy told me Parcel Post was going to end 12/31/22.  It still seems to be there, though...(shrug)

Email from Pirate Ship

50x50_pirateship.png

Pirate Ship <support@pirateship.com>Unsubscribe

Wed, Jan 4 at 3:09 PM

Ahoy Ernest!

USPS® has announced the new rates for anything shipped on or after January 22nd, 2023.

They've made lots of changes... but what will never change is Pirate Ship passing through the cheapest shipping rates available for both USPS and UPS® with no hidden costs or monthly fees 👍

The good news is that compared to the USPS rates you're paying now, many shipments will actually see price decreases, plus Pirate Ship will still have secret rates BELOW Commercial Pricing for Priority Mail 😎

For all the details, download your 2023 Rate Forecast from the Rates page in Pirate Ship 👈

Here's what's going to change on January 22nd:

• Zone 1 & Zone 2 are splitting! There will now be different rates for the destinations closest to you (within ~50 miles) compared to the destinations a bit further away from you (around ~51 to 150 miles).
  • Priority Mail Regional Rate is being discontinued! But don't worry—shipping those packages with Priority Mail Cubic will be cheaper anyways 😉 You can keep using any "Regional Rate" branded packaging you've still got, just enter the dimensions and weight like any Priority Mail branded mailing box... but we always recommend cutting the box down to make it as small as possible so you save even more treasure!
  • First Class Package rates are staying around the same cost on average. There are some small changes for each rate, with some shipments getting up to 4% cheaper and some getting up to 4% more expensive.
  • Priority Mail is getting cheaper with up to 11% decreases! And since Pirate Ship gives you access to secret rates that are BELOW the standard Commercial Pricing rates, you'll save up to an additional $1.67 😱 This makes Priority Mail continue to be the best way to ship with USPS, with their most reliable delivery estimates and $100 insurance coverage included for free.
  • Parcel Select Ground is also seeing similar decreases... but since it's much slower than Priority Mail, we only recommend it if your shipments aren't time-sensitive.
  • Most international rates are increasing. Simple Export Rate continues to be the cheapest way to ship internationally, even with its rates increasing an average of 6%.
  • We've put together more details on all the USPS rate changes here 👈

UPS has not announced any rate changes

UPS actually lowered their rates in December, and has not announced any further changes to the Digital Access Program rates that are instantly available through Pirate Ship... which means UPS will continue to be a great option for many shipments, with ultra-reliable delivery estimates 📦 🤩

Need any help figuring out the upcoming rate change? Just hit reply—we're here for you matey!

ARRrrr,
The jolly crew at Pirate Ship

On 1/18/2023 at 6:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

I had to pay nearly $400 to return a pedal bicycle from Florida to Georgia for an amazon purchase.  I could not believe it.

Whole Foods takes Amazon returns. I drop stuff there the wife wants returned. Super quick and easy, just don’t bring it in the box, they unbox it and make you take the trash back.

• Administrator
On 1/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, NP_Gresham said:
On 1/18/2023 at 9:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

I had to pay nearly $400 to return a pedal bicycle from Florida to Georgia for an amazon purchase.  I could not believe it.

Whole Foods takes Amazon returns. I drop stuff there the wife wants returned. Super quick and easy, just don’t bring it in the box, they unbox it and make you take the trash back.

Good to know.  Thanks!

On 1/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, NP_Gresham said:

Amazon owns Whole Foods, so they make it simple. You can also return some stuff at Kohls or UPS,. Both of those places package it.

HOWEVER...not everything from Amazon IS returnable. It has to be bought through Prime and has to say Free Returns. If not, it's iffy...I learned my lesson years ago, I only buy things that are marked Prime and free returns unless it's something on someone's wish list, then returns are their problem.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, Readcomix said:

It gets worse. My postmaster told me the other day that when rates go up again on the 22nd, Region A and B boxes are out too, in favor of weight and distance only. I asked if remaining supplies on hand could be used up at Regional rates and he was not certain. Meant to start a new thread, but this is easier and already has readers.

Regional Rate A and B are gone as of today, which effing BLOWS. Just blows. The next hack, just as an FYI, is 9-12 books in a gemini into a flat rate legal which often times is cheaper than the gemini.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:05 PM, Motor City Rob said:

eBay pricing is definitely cheaper than purchasing directly from USPS and has more options than from Paypal. On some boxes there's a huge difference.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Regional Rate A and B are gone as of today, which effing BLOWS. Just blows. The next hack, just as an FYI, is 9-12 books in a gemini into a flat rate legal which often times is cheaper than the gemini.

Yep, that’s been my play for a while. Flat rate legal has been $10.20 since before holidays; I think it goes up a nickel tomorrow.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:39 AM, FlyingDonut said:

WTH? Had no clue, already have a Regional A boxed and ready to go.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

wow, was it still attached to the bike? :wink:

On 1/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, Tnexus said:

Parcel post is going to be a lot more popular here soon. That actually went down in price. What really hurts is the cost of shipping a comic in a Gemini has gone up about 60 cents if shipping coast to coast.

Hope they can oust Dejoy here soon.

Just found out about this when shipping out several auctions that ended this weekend. Those Geminis that were around $5.38 (or thereabouts) are suddenly $6 when shipping out to sunny California. Going to have to bump up my rates. I usually just charge a flat $5.50 on first class. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

That's nuts. I bought my bike for $400 and it was free shipping.