• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seven Seas 4 or 6 Which Do You Prefer?
4 4

102 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, whomerjay said:

I'm aware it's far from a consensus pick, just said it's tops for some. I believe there's been more than one thread with people chiming in on their favorite.

But I think the general argument still applies; many GGA books, for the reasons stated, should command at least a small fraction of price realized for numerous superhero books.  Geez, Luke Cage #1 broke 100K.

People have more money than brains. There have to be thousands of those graded. How many in 9.8? Too lazy to look it up but I’d bet one could be obtained for a fraction of that cost if wanted. 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:18 AM, whomerjay said:

As a relatively unengaged seller I have to respect your opinion here. However it is mind boggling to me that perhaps the best copy of a GA GGA book that many rank as the top GGA book can’t break into this list:

Especially considering the number of GGA (and Baker) enthusiasts is growing rapidly, supply is low, and it is increasingly harder to compete for pricey superhero books. 

When I look at the list of Six Figure books (which is admittedly incomplete), I see only 4 non-superhero sales. And these just break 100K. Are dollars chasing superhero books that dominant (apparently so), and will they continue to be? Markets like to move to sweet spots. From both a collecting and investment perspective, IMO GA GGA/Sci-FI/PCH and perhaps Romance have been and still are taking off in terms of their relative desirability, and profitability. They are no longer ridiculously cheap but are still relatively cheap.

If they don’t continue on a strong upward trajectory, I have significantly misread the market, and these boards (esp this GA forum) are a bit of an echo chamber wrt to GGA. 

From a valuation or auction result POV, being a long time collector from the old days, I guess I am still just much more used to books taking a step-by-step incremental increase over a period of time as it climbs up the valuation charts.  Then again, with this current generation of buyers and being hyper charged with the crypto and/or Covid lockdown mentality, it seems to be much more about the "now" and simply paying up all the way to acquire what you want right now.  hm

With respect to the former traditional way of thinking, I would say that the highest auction result to date as far as I am aware of is the CGC 8.5 graded copy that sold for just over $14K or over 5X condition guide value back in 2017.  Definitely a book on the rise as subsequent sales, albeit only in mid-grade condition, have all been running in the 5.5X to 8X condition guide values, with the higher multiples on the lower graded copies.  As a result, my ball park estimate for this copy here using the old fashion way of thinking would be more in the $60K to $80K range.  Now, if it was a big name pedigree copy like the Church copy, sure, a much much better chance at hitting 6-figures.  For the Davis Crippen copy, maybe not so much at 6-figures just quite yet.  (shrug)

Then again, considering the relative scarcity of this book in high grade condition (i.e. CGC 9.0 or higher) with only a scant 4 copies reaching this exalted "9" condition grading level and not a single new entrant being slabbed in this condition grade of >9.0 in the past 20 years, your $100K estimate might just be achievable here.  So, maybe if you want a true HG copy of this top GGA book here, this just might be your best possible chance to acquire one for the foreseeable future. It definitely doesn't hurt potential bids when it's also the promo cover image for this auction here. :cloud9:

It will most definitely be interesting to watch and see how it all shakes out in the end though. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

(shrug) Neither of those is my favorite Fox PL book, and for me PL 23 is close to the bottom of the list. I don't think that one has particularly good cover art. I don't think of myself as a GGA collector, though, so I'm probably not focusing on the same things as the typical GGA guy.

You are correct that many, if not most, GGA collectors focus on certain "things" that are prominently displayed in PL 17 and 23.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, PeterPark said:

Why was there no poll to start the thread? (shrug)

There was a poll of all Baker covers back in 2018.  Seven Seas 4 ranked higher than 6.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:57 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess I am still just much more used to books taking a step-by-step incremental increase over a period of time as it climbs up the valuation charts. 

The illusion perpetrated by Overstreet was that prices rise gradually forever. 

That approach was a critical part of the growth of the hobby because it gave collectors confidence in the market.  If he had shown the actual fluctuations and sudden leaps that drive the comics up and down, the uncertainty would have made collectors more prone to speculation and panic-selling to everyone's detriment.

But it always was lie.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:03 PM, Robot Man said:

People have more money than brains. There have to be thousands of those graded. How many in 9.8? Too lazy to look it up but I’d bet one could be obtained for a fraction of that cost if wanted. 

There are only 12 at the moment in 9.8. It's a relatively scarce BA Key in grade. It's also a black border Picture Frame, which is another niche area. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.... The reason I just can't wrap my mind around SS 4 are those legs.... did Baker use his own legs for reference ? I mean, our gal has MAN legs. ???

On 1/26/2023 at 12:41 AM, The Black Hand ® said:

I like them both the same.

Now, everyone hates you. (:

Of these two I do prefer #4, however when it comes to Woman-vs-Shark covers I much prefer Exciting Comics #60.

Wish I could have a copy as nice as this recent sale...alas, I have to live with being content with my 3.5 until I can upgrade it.

lf.jpeg.fcb9edd040d0f2dd852629ea0b7e0d0c.jpeg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, whomerjay said:

I’d be shocked if the 9.2 at auction doesn’t reach 100K.

Well if it's going to reach $100K, let's hope that the potential bidders are simply keeping their powder dry for the big firework show because the current hammer price of $26K hasn't gone up by even a single dollar since this thread was first started some two whole weeks ago. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Well if it's going to reach $100K, let's hope that the potential bidders are simply keeping their powder dry for the big firework show because the current hammer price of $26K hasn't gone up by even a single dollar since this thread was first started some two whole weeks ago. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Train keeps moving on. Hammer?

On 3/3/2023 at 2:22 PM, ThothAmon said:

Approx $82K

On 3/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, ThothAmon said:

Approx $82K

To be exact, sold for $81K on February 9th:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-4-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40216-81340.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #4 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

On 3/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Not too bad for the third best cover in the run.... GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu