• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seven Seas 4 or 6 Which Do You Prefer?
4 4

101 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Robot Man said:

I prefer ALL of them. I got these many years ago before anybody mentioned Matt Baker. Just liked them and mostly just pulled them out of boxes. I can “Promise” you they were real affordable. Many years later, I paid a LOT more for this Canada printing. 

3A15C5BC-3A78-4C4D-8EBC-0F4B74D22FE7.jpeg

A4F20DB0-4C2B-4B4D-9F94-B5EFC5560E78.jpeg

My Canadian wasn't cheap either

SevenSeas_CDN_2_1000.thumb.jpg.b39aaa18e393d618877009445cb2a3d8.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 3:44 PM, Subliminal said:

My Canadian wasn't cheap either

SevenSeas_CDN_2_1000.thumb.jpg.b39aaa18e393d618877009445cb2a3d8.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 3:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Can’t be very many of these out there.

Yes, the super super rare Canadian variant copy here and who wants that "common as dirt" American version after seeing this rarity here.  :bigsmile:

Now if we can just get one of those MA variant chasers here to see this, they'll be throwing you oodles of moolah for this unique one of a kind variant here.  :flipbait:      :takeit:

On 1/24/2023 at 6:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely a drop dead gorgeous copy of SS 4 here, but unlike you, I'd be totally shocked if it did in fact hit $100K on this go round here:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/seven-seas-comics-4-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40216-81340.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-OtherAvailable-081514

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #4 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages...

Then again, I guess you just never really know with some of these in-demand classic cover books until the final hammer comes down on them.  Especially since this is one of the Top 4 graded copies out there, and clearly a toughie to find in grade as rather surprisingly, there hasn't been a new entrant to enter into this exalted Top 4 grouping since way back in 2003.  :whatthe:  :cloud9:

So, without the Promise :bigsmile: of another HG copy of this book to come into the marketplace any time soon, this one here will definitely be interesting to watch. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

As a relatively unengaged seller I have to respect your opinion here. However it is mind boggling to me that perhaps the best copy of a GA GGA book that many rank as the top GGA book can’t break into this list:

Especially considering the number of GGA (and Baker) enthusiasts is growing rapidly, supply is low, and it is increasingly harder to compete for pricey superhero books. 

When I look at the list of Six Figure books (which is admittedly incomplete), I see only 4 non-superhero sales. And these just break 100K. Are dollars chasing superhero books that dominant (apparently so), and will they continue to be? Markets like to move to sweet spots. From both a collecting and investment perspective, IMO GA GGA/Sci-FI/PCH and perhaps Romance have been and still are taking off in terms of their relative desirability, and profitability. They are no longer ridiculously cheap but are still relatively cheap.

If they don’t continue on a strong upward trajectory, I have significantly misread the market, and these boards (esp this GA forum) are a bit of an echo chamber wrt to GGA. 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:18 AM, whomerjay said:

As a relatively unengaged seller I have to respect your opinion here. However it is mind boggling to me that perhaps the best copy of a GA GGA book that many rank as the top GGA book can’t break into this list:

Phantom Lady 17 has a better case for being the top GGA book and auction results reflect that.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/phantom-lady-17-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-96-pink-pages/a/7244-93123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 1/25/2023 at 6:14 AM, adamstrange said:

Thanks for this - realized that several books from the Promise auction were missing including two Phantom Lady.   And lots of other books were really close

Edited by DC#

On 1/25/2023 at 4:08 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Interesting. It used to be that you couldn't give away a #3 or a #5. I'm not a run builder, so I never paid much attention to either.

My first was #3. I really liked the cover but also really liked the interior. Nice art and stories. I bought the rest as I found them. Wasn’t hard to complete and pretty cheap. It wasn’t until many years later when people discovered Baker that the prices started to rise dramatically.

My #6 came from a collection I actually rescued from a dump! 

On 1/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice art and stories.

+1 Seven Seas is more than just a pretty cover.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:18 AM, whomerjay said:

However it is mind boggling to me that perhaps the best copy of a GA GGA book that many rank as the top GGA book can’t break into this list:

Definitely also respect your opinion here, but I imagine it's really a case of to each their own in terms of their preference.  (thumbsu

Especially since you are here in a thread where some fellow boardies are even stating that they prefer the cover image for Seven Seas 6 over the Seven Seas 4 one.  And we haven't even gotten into the long time established GGA cover like Phantom Lady 17 and Blue Beetle 54 or even Brenda Starr 14.  Heck, even with those all-time GGA classics, there's some controversy since some favor the PL 23 over the PL 17 and likewise to a lesser degree, some prefer the Blue Beetle 52 over the Blue Beetle 54.  hm  :luhv:

So, being a relative newcomer to the GGA genre in terms of its current demand, not sure if it can be ranked as the top GGA at this point in time. (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/25/2023 at 9:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Definitely also respect your opinion here, but I imagine it's really a case of to each their own in terms of their preference.  (thumbsu

Especially since you are here in a thread where some fellow boardies are even stating that they prefer the cover image for Seven Seas 6 over the Seven Seas 4 one.  And we haven't even gotten into the long time established GGA cover like Phantom Lady 17 and Blue Beetle 54 or even Brenda Starr 14.  Heck, even with those all-time GGA classics, there's some controversy since some favor the PL 23 over the PL 17 and likewise to a lesser degree, some prefer the Blue Beetle 52 over the Blue Beetle 54.  hm  :luhv:

So, being a relative newcomer to the GGA genre in terms of its current demand, not sure if it can be ranked as the top GGA at this point in time. (shrug)

A lot of these are hard choices. Like trying to pick your favorite child. My choices are very close on the books you mentioned. At the end of the day, just personal preference. 

On 1/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, lou_fine said:

I'm aware it's far from a consensus pick, just said it's tops for some. I believe there's been more than one thread with people chiming in on their favorite.

But I think the general argument still applies; many GGA books, for the reasons stated, should command at least a small fraction of price realized for numerous superhero books.  Geez, Luke Cage #1 broke 100K.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, lou_fine said:

[T]there's some controversy since some favor the PL 23 over the PL 17 . . ..  hm  :luhv:

(shrug) Neither of those is my favorite Fox PL book, and for me PL 23 is close to the bottom of the list. I don't think that one has particularly good cover art. I don't think of myself as a GGA collector, though, so I'm probably not focusing on the same things as the typical GGA guy.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, whomerjay said:

Geez, Luke Cage #1 broke 100K.

Luke Cage is part of the MCU with a long history of comics read by people still alive.

The live bidding won't occur for another couple weeks, so I think it's a little early to compare it to other results.