• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated Key "First" Books
5 5

321 posts in this topic

Our AI overlord has spoken. In response to the following prompt:

What comic book should be considered the definitive first appearance of the character Wolverine, and why?

ChatGPT provided the following response:

603253090_Screenshot_20230128-1944473.thumb.png.2ee61a460ccc16400a26459dc38101c9.png

There you have it. The definitive word from our future AI master. I for one welcome our robot overlords in all of their infinite wisdom, despite the fact the above response appears to contain some incorrect info, and a seemingly contradictory final sentence.

Edited by Kripsys99
Eye doughn't spehl gud

Well, to put this issue to rest(yeah, right), my point of view is the following:

First, an appearance is just that, the character appears, as in they are seen. No shadows, or just a body part, or them in the process of getting empowered, etc. They are seen(at least their face) and preferably named. 

Regardless of what issue is the post popular and sought after introductory issue, these are the first published in-story appearances(no matter how brief) in our world of most of the characters/entities in question in this thread...

(Newsstand data provided by Mike's Amazing World)

Wolverine: Incredible Hulk #180, Newsstand Date: July 2, 1974

Gambit: X-Men Annual #14, Newsstand Date: May 29, 1990

Black Costume Symbiote: Amazing Spider-Man #252, Newsstand Date: January 31, 1984

Venom: Amazing Spider-Man #299, December 8, 1987

Phoenix: X-Men #101, July 20, 1976

Darkseid: Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134, October 13, 1970

Taskmaster: Avengers #195, February 19, 1980

James Rhodes: Iron Man #118, October 24, 1978

Wendell Vaughn: Captain America #217, Newsstand Date: October 11, 1977

If any of you can find an earlier published appearance then please continue discussing it. But as the progenitor of this here thread, I will no longer hear any more rubbish about how a cameo or brief appearance doesn't count or how a body part or preview in some magazine does count. And name changes should never be worth as much as a character's first appearance, now if they add a costume/powers change to that...maybe

All comments and ideas put forth in this post are the expressed opinions of the author and do not represent the views of CGC as a whole or pretty much anyone else for that matter.

the-tick.thumb.jpg.2eb6fa66cbe956ae8264f6e57cfb6c23.jpg

On 1/28/2023 at 9:43 PM, trademarkcomics said:

First, an appearance is just that, the character appears, as in they are seen. No shadows, or just a body part, or them in the process of getting empowered, etc. They are seen(at least their face) and preferably named. 

Well, now you're just superficially focusing on the art. (shrug) The art is obviously part of a comic story, but it's only part.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, now you're just superficially focusing on the art. (shrug) The art is obviously part of a comic story, but it's only part.

Comics have been and always shall be predominately a visual medium just like TV and movies. We're not talking about a novel or a radio program. So the art may well be a "part" but it's easily 50% of the experience, but probably more. And even in novel or radio programs, if the character is simply described(and preferably named), then they have made an appearance in the story.

EDIT: And comic book collecting is superficial by default. If you think collecting should be deeper than that, then what are you doing on a forum of a site that champions superficiality(Grading the beauty of a comic book)?

Edited by trademarkcomics
More info

On 1/29/2023 at 2:56 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Comics have been and always shall be predominately a visual medium just like TV and movies. We're not talking about a novel or a radio program. So the art may well be a "part" but it's easily 50% of the experience, but probably more. And even in novel or radio programs, if the character is simply described(and preferably named), then they have made an appearance in the story.

Since you've been the one focusing so much on the visual aspect of appearances, how does a character "appear" on the radio or in a novel?

But seriously, it's the character's presence in the story that matters. By your latest definition, Doomsday wouldn't actually appear until his, what, seventh appearance?

EDIT: And comic book collecting is superficial by default.

No, it isn't. Though some collectors certainly are.

If you think collecting should be deeper than that, then what are you doing on a forum of a site that champions superficiality(Grading the beauty of a comic book)?

This is the best comic forum overall. That's what brought me here. That it happens to be hosted by CGC is irrelevant.

Since you've been the one focusing so much on the visual aspect of appearances, how does a character "appear" on the radio or in a novel?

If a character is described sufficiently, I don't need to see them with my eyes to get a picture of what they look like. Hence they appear...in my mind.

But seriously, it's the character's presence in the story that matters. By your latest definition, Doomsday wouldn't actually appear until his, what, seventh appearance?

There are obviously exceptions to any rule. 

No, it isn't(Superficial by default). Though some collectors certainly are.

Nice. 

This is the best comic forum overall. That's what brought me here. That it happens to be hosted by CGC is irrelevant.

Ah. So you don't really care about what people here care about. It's downright shocking you don't along with anyone.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

This is one I'm actually okay with. If I recall correctly, the Doomsday "appearances" in the 5 weeks leading up to Man of Steel 18 simply showed his fist or arms punching on the last page. Put another way, I'm not sure we actually knew what he looked like until MoS 18. We certainly didn't in MoS 17.

That's not in the same league as say, Hulk 180, where Wolverine is referenced throughout the story, shows up - in full - in the last page, and talks.

If anything, claiming MoS 17 is Doomsday's first appearance is like saying Web of Spider-Man 18 is Venom's first appearance. 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This is one I'm actually okay with. If I recall correctly, the Doomsday "appearances" in the 5 weeks leading up to Man of Steel 18 simply showed his fist or arms punching on the last page. Put another way, I'm not sure we actually knew what he looked like until MoS 18. We certainly didn't in MoS 17.

That's not in the same league as say, Hulk 180, where Wolverine is referenced throughout the story, shows up - in full - in the last page, and talks.

If anything, claiming MoS 17 is Doomsday's first appearance is like saying Web of Spider-Man 18 is Venom's first appearance. 

First, an appearance is just that, the character appears, as in they are seen. No shadows, or just a body part, or them in the process of getting empowered, etc.

I obviously agree, so I don't get why he brought Doomsday up*...

*Other than he's just looking to make trouble...again.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:53 PM, Kripsys99 said:

HcTI.gif.2e95c180a098b9389a4f62aa788b232a.gif

I'm trying not to, I promise I am. I've tried to ignore him but he attacks every one of my posts. I'm not here just to debate.

I like differing opinions, but I don't like personal attacks(on me or anyone else for that matter). I just go...

a-christmas-story-ralph.gif.8ef282921903c2fe65df631baf0fb462.gif

On 1/29/2023 at 5:31 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Each of the four titles showed Doomsday punching his prison, which also damaged his hand/arm covering, on the final page of the issues before the Doomsday/Death of Superman story began. He broke free in StMoS 18, but only his hand was visible. His true form became progressively more visible over the course of the story.

Um... you mean once before the last page, and vaguely, at that?

Doomsday has a full page dedicated solely to him. Wolverine doesn't even have half of that.

Yeah, they are there in those issues. Briefly, partially, mysteriously, and not part of the main story in those issues, but there.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:02 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I'm trying not to, I promise I am. I've tried to ignore him but he attacks every one of my posts.

???

Attacks? If you don't want people to respond to your posts, the only solution is to not post. Questioning or disagreeing with your choice of words that you put out for public consumption is not an attack.

Now, of you're looking for attacks, try

On 1/29/2023 at 5:15 PM, trademarkcomics said:

It's downright shocking you don't along with anyone.

or

On 1/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, trademarkcomics said:

*Other than he's just looking to make trouble...again.

for example. (thumbsu

I'm not here just to debate.

hm So why are you here? Why start this thread? What were you hoping to achieve? (shrug)

I like differing opinions

No, you clearly don't.

I'm actually very bad at visualising the appearance of characters and environments purely from the descriptions given in novels or radio broadcasts.  That's one reason why I've always liked comics, to have talented artists with much, much better spatial and visual ability do the hard work for me.  

That said, I'm much better with the personality characterisation, plot and dialogue, so I like the story and art to work together, be synergistic.

Edited by Ken Aldred