• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why aren't "comic remakes" a thing?
3 3

59 posts in this topic

I'd be interested, certainly. 

I also think that stories that happened in between issues of GA or SA (even BA) books would be a great idea.  I kow they tried that with The X-Men in the 90s though it wasn't well done IIRC.  I'd be down for this being well done.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:38 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

With all of the facsimile editions that keep coming out, it got me wondering, "why aren't there comic remakes" for some of the classic books? Like, why doesn't DC release a "reprint" of Detective 27 for example that is a basically a panel-by-panel remake of the original, but using artists and art styles from today? I'd be much more interested in that than a straight up reprint facsimile. Would anyone else be intrigued, or is that a step too far?

Funny you mention 'Tec 27...  both because it has kind of been done and because the story is very, very short.

But the point (for the big publishers) of reprinting popular issues is to make easy money without having to pay creators.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Lazyboy said:

Funny you mention 'Tec 27...  both because it has kind of been done and because the story is very, very short.

But the point (for the big publishers) of reprinting popular issues is to make easy money without having to pay creators.

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that issue! Yeah, that's a true point.

The idea of a panel by panel remake just wouldn't work because the language of storytelling evolves. And that's a good thing. There would be concepts that it took the golden age writer/artist several panels and paragraphs to explain, that right now you can explain with a single wordless panel. Basically, if they maintained the panel layouts slavishly they'd also be stuck telling the story at a pace that's no longer enjoyable to readers. The idea is that they're have to update the structure of the story in order to modernize it.

Think about the Avengers movie. It is a retelling of Avengers #1. Asgardian villain comes to Earth to sow dissent within the Avengers and turn them against each other. It worked in 1963 and, with updates, it also worked in 2012. Batman: Year One is a retelling of Batman's early story in a way that's updated.

Also, publishers have actually done exactly what you're saying. I don't remember the name of it but when I was a kid Marvel put out an X-Men book that was issue by issue, modern retelling the first Uncanny X-Men issues. And I don't think it really worked all that well and no one seems to like those books today.

Why don't they do remakes? Remakes are kinda most of what comics do. But the idea of a remake where you don't really change anything doesn't really work for the audience.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, Sam T said:

Why don't they do remakes? Remakes are kinda most of what comics do.

Exactly.  Pretty much all comics today are remakes.  The Batman origin has been re-made many many times.  Remakes, however, generally involve both fresh art and fresh dialogue or plotting.  It's no different than movies.  The only movie remake in history that I recall that did a shot-for-shot remake but with new actors (the equivalent, I think, of what the OP is suggesting) was the modern version of Psycho... and it was considered a disaster.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What I’d really like to see is comic books brought to life.  Take ASM 121 & 122 and animate the actual panels.  Would love to see Romita’s pencils come to life on the screen. Word for word.  Panel to panel. 

One step further would be that in virtual 3d.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, Sam T said:

The idea of a panel by panel remake just wouldn't work because the language of storytelling evolves. And that's a good thing. There would be concepts that it took the golden age writer/artist several panels and paragraphs to explain, that right now you can explain with a single wordless panel. Basically, if they maintained the panel layouts slavishly they'd also be stuck telling the story at a pace that's no longer enjoyable to readers. The idea is that they're have to update the structure of the story in order to modernize it.

Think about the Avengers movie. It is a retelling of Avengers #1. Asgardian villain comes to Earth to sow dissent within the Avengers and turn them against each other. It worked in 1963 and, with updates, it also worked in 2012. Batman: Year One is a retelling of Batman's early story in a way that's updated.

Also, publishers have actually done exactly what you're saying. I don't remember the name of it but when I was a kid Marvel put out an X-Men book that was issue by issue, modern retelling the first Uncanny X-Men issues. And I don't think it really worked all that well and no one seems to like those books today.

Why don't they do remakes? Remakes are kinda most of what comics do. But the idea of a remake where you don't really change anything doesn't really work for the audience.

I remember when I first really started getting into comics before say, 1980 or 1970...I'm specifically thinking of the early ASM run, I was really into how the earlier comics had so many words and so many panels per page. There was actually something to read. I had been used to comics like Spawn where you read the thing in 3 or 4 minutes because there was so little going on. I think that aspect of the storytelling is not done anymore. It is refreshing to read...a magazine that respects your intelligence!

On 1/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, PeterPark said:

I remember when I first really started getting into comics before say, 1980 or 1970...I'm specifically thinking of the early ASM run, I was really into how the earlier comics had so many words and so many panels per page. There was actually something to read. I had been used to comics like Spawn where you read the thing in 3 or 4 minutes because there was so little going on. I think that aspect of the storytelling is not done anymore. It is refreshing to read...a magazine that respects your intelligence!

Simply having more words does not make a comic better. The best comic writers are hardly stingy with their words, but they know how and when to use (and not use) them.