• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superhero fatigue - is it real or does it come down to good storytelling?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

100% it’s fatigue for me.  I miss when a new Marvel movie felt like an event rather than the latest episode of Wheel of Fortune.  No Way Home was the only post-Endgame movie I was excited for, but it sadly was a letdown.

Heck, the Endgame blu ray is still sitting unopened in my drawer, though that is more a side effect of a miserably drawn out moving experience and subsequent divorce (btw, yay for that divorce :banana:).  Maybe I’ll finally catch up to 2019 during paternity leave.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

No directors announced. No casting announced. No real timeline yet, other than clarity anything not in the DCU is considered "DC Elseworlds'.

I don't know. what was your reaction expectations with just character details?

Dude, don't you know we were all expecting full on scripts, casting photos (of cast in costume), and VIP tickets to be waiting on our doorsteps at the time of Gunns announcement? 

giphy (1).gif

On 2/1/2023 at 2:17 AM, godzilla43 said:

This is the best post you have ever posted in these forums. MCU is just like Janet Jackson. For decades succesful popstar who then decides to be more edgy and shows her tits in Superbowl and instantly ruins her career.

Janet Jackson as a MCU metaphor was not my original intention, but maybe you're on to something, but maybe not in the way you originally intended. And as today marks the start of Black History Month and coincidentally marks the 19 year anniversary of Janet Jackson's 2004 Super Bowl Half Time show, let's, as she says in her song "I'm So Lonely", break it down.

I think it might be safe to say now that Janet Jackson was thrown under the bus after the Super Bowl, by everyone from the public to virtue grandstanding public officials to news media to black celebrities like Chris Rock and Spike Lee to Justin Timberlake himself who immediately took like zero blame for the incident almost immediately after bragging about it on-air. Janet Jackson was Hester Prynned, Scarlet Lettered, and almost completely cut off by CBS godfather Les Moonves because she wouldn't apologize in person at the Grammies later that month. As Justin Timberlake's career seemed to almost take off after that incident, Janet Jackson, who was in the twilight of an epic music career anyway, was not afforded a happy second half to her career. 19 years later and in the wake of #metoo and Les Moonves's own cancellation, it's now a majority opinion that Janet Jackson was the victim of yesterday society's unfair treatment of black women. Janet's recent induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was not only a recognition of her career, but an industry apology. Justin Timberlake recently publicly apologized to Janet Jackson on his IG for not standing up for what was right back then. A same public official who expressed outrage at Janet in 2004 recently admitted that that his and the public's outrage was overblown.

I think the sentiment that attacked and Scarlet Lettered Ms. Jackson in 2004 is the same sentiment that has attacked Carol Danvers for daring to be foreshadowed as the future of the MCU, that's attacked Marvel Studios in Phase Four for elevating so many women to lead hero status like Shuri or Kamala Khan, and that attacked She-Hulk for not only daring to have her own show but daring to twerk on Disney TV. In 2023, 19 years to the day after Janet not baby's 2004 Super Bowl Half-Time show, the unfair treatment of black women and women in general in our culture seems to still be a thing.

As far as the thread goes: I doubt I will ever get superhero fatigue. Between comics and scifi movies, I don't think I'll ever end up pivoting to a different genre. Whenever something doesn't quite click for me in the superhero genre, I just put on an MCU movie and rewatch it.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As far as the thread goes: I doubt I will ever get superhero fatigue. Between comics and scifi movies, I don't think I'll ever end up pivoting to a different genre. Whenever something doesn't quite click for me in the superhero genre, I just put on an MCU movie and rewatch it.

Love and Thunder can really shift the mood :shiftyeyes:

On 2/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

Love and Thunder can really shift the mood :shiftyeyes:

I am in the minority: I LOVED L&T and all it’s dorkiness.