• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERMAN written & directed by James Gunn (2025)
3 3

277 posts in this topic

"I completely relate to Superman because... I, too, am invulnerable to things that would cancel an everyday man"

July, 2018

Hollywood director James Gunn’s relationship is over with Disney.  Disney announced the decision before he was scheduled to appear at San Diego Comic Con.  “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement.

One particular tweet read:  “I remember my first NAMBLA meeting. It was the first time I felt o.k being who I am. Some of those guys are still my BFF’s.” (April 4, 2009)  He later tweeted:  “I like it when little boys touch me in my silly place. Shhh!” (April 5, 2009)

He went on to compose a new thread of tweets explaining that at the beginning of his career he viewed himself as a “provocateur,” making movies and telling jokes that were “outrageous and taboo” and that he has “developed as a person” since then.

March, 2019

Director James Gunn has been rehired to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he was fired by Disney over decade-old tweets that joked about rape and abuse.  It comes after famous cast members from the Marvel series signed an open letter pleading for Gunn's return.  In a tweet he thanked Disney and his supporters and said he is "excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all".

Edited by Dr. Love

On 4/27/2023 at 3:29 PM, Dr. Love said:

"I completely relate to Superman because... I, too, am invulnerable to things that would cancel an everyday man"

July, 2018

Hollywood director James Gunn’s relationship is over with Disney.  Disney announced the decision before he was scheduled to appear at San Diego Comic Con.  “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement.

One particular tweet read:  “I remember my first NAMBLA meeting. It was the first time I felt o.k being who I am. Some of those guys are still my BFF’s.” (April 4, 2009)  He later tweeted:  “I like it when little boys touch me in my silly place. Shhh!” (April 5, 2009)

He went on to compose a new thread of tweets explaining that at the beginning of his career he viewed himself as a “provocateur,” making movies and telling jokes that were “outrageous and taboo” and that he has “developed as a person” since then.

March, 2019

Director James Gunn has been rehired to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he was fired by Disney over decade-old tweets that joked about rape and abuse.  It comes after famous cast members from the Marvel series signed an open letter pleading for Gunn's return.  In a tweet he thanked Disney and his supporters and said he is "excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all".

That July 2018 quote is horrible.  In no way funny. 

On 4/28/2023 at 6:24 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I never read the tweets before. That's actually much worse than I imagined.

When it started landing all over social media - to include pictures from his fake 'pedo parties' - as much as I enjoyed his movies it was difficult to defend the statements.

Definitely not a good look at all. Though I think people added onto the narrative of the parties and photos to sensationalize them more (I hope).

Spoiler

Gunn_Priest02.png.75d7ab6100f45c8e5a1c9a3c1a961b88.png

Gunn_Priest01.jpg.872dffa7f5ad08b4abd649cbcdf3f2bb.jpg

Gunn_Redneck.jpg.c5ae9f66a177fe89f842f598d4e34577.jpg

On 4/28/2023 at 6:41 AM, Bosco685 said:

When it started landing all over social media - to include pictures from his fake 'pedo parties' - as much as I enjoyed his movies it was difficult to defend the statements.

Definitely not a good look at all. Though I think people added onto the narrative of the parties and photos to sensationalize them more (I hope).

Reveal hidden contents

Gunn_Priest02.png.75d7ab6100f45c8e5a1c9a3c1a961b88.png

Gunn_Priest01.jpg.872dffa7f5ad08b4abd649cbcdf3f2bb.jpg

Gunn_Redneck.jpg.c5ae9f66a177fe89f842f598d4e34577.jpg

Wow, I know this is "ancient history" now, but seriously he thought "pedo parties" was edgy and cool?

I read a quote yesterday by James Gunn regarding the casting of the lead. Something along the lines of, "It's gotta be someone who has all of the kindness of Superman. Someone you would want to hug."

Did he forget that he's casting an actor to play a role? This guys loves the smells of his own farts, for sure.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I read a quote yesterday by James Gunn regarding the casting of the lead. Something along the lines of, "It's gotta be someone who has all of the kindness of Superman. Someone you would want to hug."

Did he forget that he's casting an actor to play a role? This guys loves the smells of his own farts, for sure.

How long until Gunn just announces he'll be playing Superman?  It will be based on his life....

Edited by thegiftedone45

Or, just maybe..... it will be the best Superman movie we ever had and the highest grossing DC movie ever...... written by an incredibly talented writer whose humor goes way above most of our heads. 

After a decade of DCEU dysfunction, I am ALL IN with GUNN... or as Vigilante would say "hashtag me too".    That’s just funny. In bad taste? Maybe. But still just a joke.

Now that I got that off my chest, let the bashing continue. 

Edited by eastriver400

On 5/4/2023 at 10:44 AM, eastriver400 said:

Or, just maybe..... it will be the best Superman movie we ever had and the highest grossing DC movie ever...... written by an incredibly talented writer whose humor goes way above most of our heads. 

After a decade of DCEU dysfunction, I am ALL IN with GUNN... or as Vigilante would say "hashtag me too".    That’s just funny. In bad taste? Maybe. But still just a joke.

Now that I got that off my chest, let the bashing continue. 

Gunn seems to have achieved “legend  in his own mind” status but you’re not entirely wrong. It’s absolutely in the cards he could deliver an awesome Superman movie…just not sure about the dog tho hm