• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portland, OR Comic Shop Hit 3 Times in 3 Weeks!
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Sad and tragic. Unfortunately, a sign of the times. Small businesses like this often do not have the money to install enough security and it might not have mattered anyway. Hopefully, they have adequate insurance but probably not.

I say this every time this happens. At closing time, pullout your expensive wall and case books and either take them home or lock them up securely.

Hope they catch this scum…

On 2/3/2023 at 11:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Sad and tragic. Unfortunately, a sign of the times. Small businesses like this often do not have the money to install enough security and it might not have mattered anyway. Hopefully, they have adequate insurance but probably not.

I say this every time this happens. At closing time, pullout your expensive wall and case books and either take them home or lock them up securely.

Hope they catch this scum…

It doesn't take any $ to take the 5 grand comic and 20 most valuable cards home with you every night or to hide them in a box marked 50 cent comics. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, Turnando said:

Glad it wasn't Cosmic Monkey that got hit.  My favorite comic T-shirt.

Thanks for zapping the politics, moderator.  My real family has been destroyed by politics.  I don't want that for my fake comic family... It's all I have left. :)

20230203_121903.jpg

Fake comic family?  Ouch.  :foryou:

People who can't help themselves even here, where the rules are clearly spelled out, must be a whole lot of fun to know in person. 

Give it a rest already. If you're trying to argue that stuff on a comic book forum that explicitly frowns upon it, it's because you've already lost everywhere else. 

On 2/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, jdandns said:

If you're trying to argue that stuff on a comic book forum that explicitly frowns upon it, it's because you've already lost everywhere else. 

Of you've won everywhere else and trying to spread it to here. The last thing I'd want for this place to turn into is Reddit or Twitter.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Of you've won everywhere else and trying to spread it to here. The last thing I'd want for this place to turn into is Reddit or Twitter.

Or you're a cancer and can't help but metastasize before killing your host.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:36 AM, troy.division said:

Honest question after reading about numerous break-ins over the past year.  Why display the actual comics, especially slabs, in-store or at cons anymore?  Take a picture, print it out, put it up with a price on it.

This is actually a great question.  (thumbsu

The effect of "securing product" on both theft and sales has been extensively studied by professionals who specialize in retail loss prevention.  Security measures that require customers to seek out the assistance of a store employee do reduce theft; however, they also reduce sales by 15~25% (link, link, etc) .  :cry:  Losing one in four or five sales is simply unacceptable for a small business that operates on the thinnest of profit margins.

When a progressive corporation like Starbucks starts closing stores in its "home town" of 50+ years, you know things have become incredibly tough for retailers large and small.  I wish them all the best.  :wishluck:

True. To be able to sell a product, (in this case comics), potential buyers have to be able to examine them.

I used to be able to set up at a show and man an 8’ table by myself. Not anymore. I set up at CalCon this weekend. I had to enlist the help of my great son in law to be my “policeman”. I instructed him beforehand as to the tactics used by thieves. He knew nothing about comics but has a new appreciation and a lot of knowledge now.

I mostly use short boxes and keep the lessor stuff in front and better stuff in back and the wall. When I left Sat, I took the better stuff with me. The only thieves I encountered were those who robbed me with their wallets…:roflmao:

Lots of little businesses in my area have experienced breaking robberies lately. Several are ones that left money in cash registers and small safes in the back room. Like comic stores leaving expensive comics in display cases and their walls. Law enforcement can only react after the fact.

A smart business owner should know better. It’s a real shame we now have to live this way but it is a sad sign of the times…:sorry: