• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 Larson sells for 2mil
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2023 at 7:22 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Just saw this in General, there's a boardie that keeps track of 6fig+ sales

https://blog.gocollect.com/rallys-batman-1-sells-for-record-2-million-how-one-shareholder-voted/

Wow !

I’m with the author: this book would have continued to go up, the same as it ever was. It was interesting to read an account by an actual Rally investor; I didn’t realize the concept for this “mass ownership” idea had ever advanced into reality 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, Gotham Kid said:

https://blog.gocollect.com/rallys-batman-1-sells-for-record-2-million-how-one-shareholder-voted/

Wow !

The transparency of this RR transaction from root to toot is as transparent as mud. To draw any conclusions from this “sale” other than all the actors and amplifiers  are getting free advertising is an assumption.  First photo is Twitter release by RR. Second photo is what I just found on the RR website. Meaning the same book is being resold on Rally I guess. 

5D7D5C2C-3D34-47C6-A6A1-C50621BEED9F.png

CDA2A91B-EABC-4A0C-B56C-C3E418581955.png

On 2/9/2023 at 5:22 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Wow !

The discussion on this $2M transaction on the boards here already took place on the last page of the Rally Road thread last month:  :gossip:

What I found most interesting was that the buyer of the book of the book in the Goldin Auction (i.e. apparently Ken Golding himself) was able to resell the book while retaining a sizable portion for himself and made out like a bandit in the end.  Word of warning.................a bit of math involved in the transaction here if you are adverse to that.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/9/2023 at 5:44 AM, ThothAmon said:

The transparency of this RR transaction from root to toot is as transparent as mud.

Like all equity investments, the small time retail investors like Ryan Kirksey (i.e. author of the original article here) doesn't really truly get much of a say with his 10 sharers since the insiders (i.e. Goldin and Rally Road) already control 50% or more of the shares. :gossip: :devil:

On 2/10/2023 at 11:28 AM, Mmehdy said:
On 2/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, midwestfourcolors said:

what would an 8.0 batman #1 go for in a truly transparent auction?

$2.5 M if on major auction site...(CC/Ha) It just takes two bidders!

I would lean well on the other side of the $2M mark because you have to remember that they couldn't find 2 bidders for the book back in September of 2021 and Goldin had to step in to buy the book himself at the $1.44M mark in order.  On top of that, Rally couldn't even sell a sizable chunk of the shares at the $1.8M mark and they also had to step in to buy up the remaining unsold 30% of the shares.  hm

So, based upon these numbers here, I would doubt that a copy of Bat 1 in CGC 8.0 condition would now be worth $2.5M in an open auction. (shrug)

On 2/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, midwestfourcolors said:

what would an 8.0 batman #1 go for in a truly transparent auction?

Looks like we've got another case here of ask and ye shall receive, as it looks like you will not have to wait very long at all to get the answer to your question here:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7339-238001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages.

Although Mitch thinks it will be north of the Larson $2M price point as per his post below, methinks it will probably be a bit south of that figure, but will definitely be interesting to see either way: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/10/2023 at 11:28 AM, Mmehdy said:

$2.5 M if on major auction site...(CC/Ha) It just takes two bidders!

On 2/19/2023 at 5:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like we've got another case here of ask and ye shall receive, as it looks like you will not have to wait very long at all to get the answer to your question here:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7339-238001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages.

Although Mitch thinks it will be north of the Larson $2M price point as per his post below, methinks it will probably be a bit south of that figure, but will definitely be interesting to see either way: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

You guys should place a small bet then to see who is correct. Say $1 mil

I think the market for Batman #1 has come very far over the years, its not just a reprint...with an expanded origin. It wlll be over 2 easy, but I think this copy, which looks great is gonna have two major bidders going to 2.5M which includes BP.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

I think the market for Batman #1 has come very far over the years, its not just a reprint...with an expanded origin. It wlll be over 2 easy, but I think this copy, which looks great is gonna have two major bidders going to 2.5M which includes BP.

So, are you saying this copy here looks about $500K better than the Larson pedigree copy that sold a mere three short weeks ago?  hm  (shrug)

If that's the case then I wouuld imagine the $1M mark for Batman 1 should then fall as low as CGC 7.0 or possibly even to the CGC 6.5 copies.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/9/2023 at 7:35 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m with the author: this book would have continued to go up, the same as it ever was. It was interesting to read an account by an actual Rally investor; I didn’t realize the concept for this “mass ownership” idea had ever advanced into reality 

You must have missed the negative nelly slaughtering RallyRd took on this very board. lol

Edited by valiantman

On 2/21/2023 at 9:45 AM, valiantman said:

You must have missed the negative nelly slaughtering RallyRd took on this very board. lol

I have no knowledge of Rally's operations but I wonder if they will even be around in five years.     Its easy to make money in an upmarket.     I would guess they are bleeding money RN.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

I'm taking the under because I hate that graphic on the label.  The offerings by Heritage:

Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC GD- 1.8 Off-white pages

You'd think that the last sale would have been for less if in the same auction with these three.  

Edited by sfcityduck