• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Are Given a Captain America 1
9 9

92 posts in this topic

I would not aim for the Frankenbook.  I would get the cover conserved and graded (and either sell or hold).  For me a stand alone cover has advantages - you can more easily display it with less risk of damage to the book. 

I would do the same thing to the pages but since they are less stable I would unload them.

I would just clean and press this cover and store it away in a mylar. I would sell off the few other single pages to help defray the cost of the buy. Look for a coverless copy or just keep it the way it is. What a great find!

Or  if you absolutely have to. Have it “graded” and slabbed. You should already know it will come back NG. Hardly seems worth the cost and time to me…

Mary-Jane-Watson-1st-Appearance-Comic-Panel-from-Amazing-Spiderman-42-600.jpg.webp

Edited by Robot Man

On 2/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Or  if you absolutely have to. Have it “graded” and slabbed. You should already know it will come back NG. Hardly seems worth the cost and time to me…

Just to clarify, I made a two second meme for this, it isn’t in the book like this!!!!!  

6052E548-B03B-4ED7-9DFB-0299732DBF48.jpeg

Edited by Sillydiabetic
Deleted rambling, minimized confusion

On 2/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

I purchased a lot yesterday.   I was told that there was a page from Cap America 1 included in a folder, thrown in because it wasn’t “worth much”.  
I was excited to have a piece of history, but imagine the look on my face when I pulled this out from between a few pages of CA 1!

paula-1.gif

On 2/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

Guys, I used to laugh at PG books, and Incomplete books, but I suddenly have a responsibility I am not prepared for.  Please, help the future of this sad but historic piece of our past.  I need guidance, honestly.  I’m not going to pretend to be King of the Hill.  I love comics but this is beyond experience.  Please, if one of the really experienced admins or someone with a solid past with this type of book.  Check my stats, I’m not brand new, and I participate, but not in this sandbox. .  Any practical advice will be greatly appreciated.  I’m talking storage, condition issues (it pleasantly smells of maple syrup, which is what seems to have spilled on it), should they be split, submitted,  etc.  

Thanks in advance.  

jimi

RIP your inbox.  Scarlett Johansson on Tinder ain't got nothin on you...

On 2/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Since you ARE asking for opinions, I'd message some of the photos to Matt Nelson tonight and try to reach him via message or phone tomorrow. He should be able to let you know your options as far as cleaning and pressing and what CGC would grade the book. I'm not certain, but since it has both original covers and several pages, I think it could still grade a blue .5, in which case, it'd CERTAINLY be worth doing! Even if you hope to find a coverless someday (it's not likely you'll have the luck of someone GIVING that to you, it'll likely be VERY expensive), you'll still have this safely certified and be able to enjoy it. In the event you DO acquire a coverless someday, you'd likely want to send it to CCS to have it professionally married to achieve the best result, but again, expect a coverless Cap #1 to be a LOT of money, IF you can even find one. With what you presently have, cleaned and pressed and graded a Universal .5 is very likely the best to hope for. It'll look great in that holder too!!!  (thumbsu My 2c

I believe they would need a lot more pages to get a 0.5, the cover alone would receive a "CVR" grade, and if the pages were included I believe a "NG" would be given. Either way this is one of the coolest finds I've seen posted here, I'd definitely look into getting the stain removed.  

On 2/12/2023 at 11:21 PM, FrontStands said:

I believe they would need a lot more pages to get a 0.5, the cover alone would receive a "CVR" grade, and if the pages were included I believe a "NG" would be given. Either way this is one of the coolest finds I've seen posted here, I'd definitely look into getting the stain removed.  

That's why I encouraged him to contact someone who could answer that question for him. We can speculate all day and get nowhere. Going to the source and getting the answer clears it right up. I HAVE seen a book graded Universal .5 that was missing the front cover and several interior pages, but it did have most of the back cover. I think it may have been a Tec 27 but I'm not sure and haven't been able to find a pic of it. If the CGC verdict on this particular copy is Universal .5, I'd go that route. If it's CVR in the numerical box, I'd have the covers pressed and certified. If this person just wants to broom these pieces, I would also certify each of the pages. If they intend to complete the book with pages from other copies, I'd keep them raw in case they were needed for completion. Just my 2c.

The kind of stuff I love, congrats on your awesome find! To me personally, if you marry it to an interior and it's all original parts combined, it's way less expensive to own and looks great! Good luck in whatever you choose to do with it!

On 2/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Since you ARE asking for opinions, I'd message some of the photos to Matt Nelson tonight and try to reach him via message or phone tomorrow. He should be able to let you know your options as far as cleaning and pressing and what CGC would grade the book. I'm not certain, but since it has both original covers and several pages, I think it could still grade a blue .5, in which case, it'd CERTAINLY be worth doing! Even if you hope to find a coverless someday (it's not likely you'll have the luck of someone GIVING that to you, it'll likely be VERY expensive), you'll still have this safely certified and be able to enjoy it. In the event you DO acquire a coverless someday, you'd likely want to send it to CCS to have it professionally married to achieve the best result, but again, expect a coverless Cap #1 to be a LOT of money, IF you can even find one. With what you presently have, cleaned and pressed and graded a Universal .5 is very likely the best to hope for. It'll look great in that holder too!!!  (thumbsu My 2c

Great advice.  Personally there would be two paths, based on if I wanted to keep it and enjoy (most likely) or sell.. and well enjoy in a different way.

Sell path, probably clean and press cover and slab individually cover and each page separately.  Send to Rick and sell on HA.com.  Wife is happy.  Win/Win.

Keep path, I'd keep it all together and avoid any restoration - so clean and press and slab (or maybe even bag in mylar - depending on just how liquid I'd want to be) but keep it all together.  It would fun to look for pieces to complete, but let's be honest would take some luck, time and money if you ever find them.  And you would still need to restore after that.  But in meanwhile you can continue to enjoy its awesomeness and your good fortune regularly with added bonus of bragging rights - your happy, wife maybe less so.  Keep and enjoy and its always an option to change your mind later.

Soooo cool!  Great find.

Edited by path4play

On 2/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, path4play said:

Great advice.  Personally there would be two paths, based on if I wanted to keep it and enjoy (most likely) or sell.. and well enjoy in a different way.

Sell path, probably clean and press cover and slab individually cover and each page separately.  Send to Rick and sell on HA.com.  Wife is happy.  Win/Win.

Keep path, I'd keep it all together and avoid any restoration - so clean and press and slab (or maybe even bag in mylar - depending on just how liquid I'd want to be) it all together.  It would fun to look for pieces to complete, but let's be honest would take some luck, time and money if you ever find them.  And you would still need to restore after that.  But in meanwhile you can continue to enjoy its awesomeness and your good fortune regularly with added bonus of bragging rights - your happy, wife maybe less so.  Keep and enjoy and its always an option to change your mind later.

Soooo cool!  Great find.

The other interesting possibility that I don't recall anyone mentioning is that if he were to be able to find a complete coverless, wrap these covers around it and send it in for certification, it'd likely come back a green qualified label, as there wouldn't be any restoration, just the marrying of an interior to covers. I don't know what the value would be there, but it wouldn't be "restored" and to some people, that makes a LOT of difference. Not me personally, but SOME people don't want restored books, regardless of the price or condition. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 2/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, path4play said:

And there is always the option of putting it up on feeBay, asking $120K, and just frustrate the heck out of people with an inside copy for 10 years or more...

Yeah, that's certainly a route that SOME people take! Then it just becomes, "Oh, look at my big whopper!!!" lol I honestly don't know who has time for THOSE kind of shenanigans. 

I appreciate hearing the ideas, thanks.   I would like to explore some options, but keeping this isn’t likely.   It’s a grail, holy spoon it’s a grail, but it isn’t MY grail.  It needs to go to someone that is going to appreciate it.  
I am thinking about having it slabbed, just for authentication purposes.

In a perfect world, I would like to keep the pages together instead of splitting them, because that’s only proper.   But then they won’t display as nicely if slabbed together….   Those individual art panels are pieces of history….  There are a number of things to consider.

I sent a message through CGC customer service to Matt Nelson, so hopefully a few questions can be answered, or at least options discussed.  

If you were a buyer/trader, would you prefer the pages slabbed  inside the cover at a premium even if you didn’t need them?   As in two options, a cover by itself, or a cover with a few pages inside for ten percent more? I realize the cover is the big part here.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

F8847847-EEC0-4A86-A8B6-0D6BD5AB7D82.jpeg

Edited by Sillydiabetic

On 2/14/2023 at 12:22 AM, Sillydiabetic said:

I appreciate hearing the ideas, thanks.   I would like to explore some options, but keeping this isn’t likely.   It’s a grail, holy spoon it’s a grail, but it isn’t MY grail.  It needs to go to someone that is going to appreciate it.  
I am thinking about having it slabbed, just for authentication purposes.

In a perfect world, I would like to keep the pages together instead of splitting them, because that’s only proper.   But then they won’t display as nicely if slabbed together….   Those individual art panels are pieces of history….  There are a number of things to consider.

I sent a message through CGC customer service to Matt Nelson, so hopefully a few questions can be answered, or at least options discussed.  

If you were a buyer/trader, would you prefer the pages slabbed  inside the cover at a premium even if you didn’t need them?   As in two options, a cover by itself, or a cover with a few pages inside for ten percent more? I realize the cover is the big part here.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

F8847847-EEC0-4A86-A8B6-0D6BD5AB7D82.jpeg

Personally, i would prefer it unslabbed and bagged and boarded. 

But that's because it likely wouldn't be sold until I was long gone. 

If I was in your position, I would put the pages in the cover wrap, press it, slab it, and sell it at auction. 

CGC will answer all the questions a buyer would have. It would probably look great and maximize your return.