• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Burdon's Atlanta Storage Unit theft
2 2

67 posts in this topic

I currently have different teams of guys doing work around the house as we speak.  Three different companies to be exact and I've been leaving my books in the trunk of my car and some in my brother's house for safekeeping.  Hopefully all will be done this week :wishluck:. Never will I rent out a storage unit to put my valuables in after all the horror stories that are happening.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, seanfingh said:

I have the pack rat DNA as well - big time.  One thing that has really helped me is if I feel the urge to not get rid of something (like birthday cards or mementos from trips etc.) i will review it (or re-read it or whatever) be thankful for the experience, drop in a little prayer for whomever else was involved, and then I sort of feel set free to let the physical item go. If I don't feel that, then i know that it is a real keepsake and happily keep it. That has worked for me after I did a massive purge - for the massive purge I had to be at my absolute wits' end with all the stuff.

I’m ready to incinerate it all right now.   I am indeed at my wits’ end.   
9CB832F0-C230-402E-91B8-C1832530764F.gif.bc55ccc970e68ace463f2d026956cd9f.gif

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, manetteska said:

“Woke” has quickly become the new term to describe anything one doesn’t like.

Not true at all. It's not a catch phrase. It's very specific. But this probably isn't the place to discuss it. 

I am open to discussion on the topic elsewhere if anyone is interested. 

On 2/12/2023 at 2:20 PM, Beastfeast said:

Don't let me stop you from going off but most crime - including violent crime - is still at 40+ year lows.  

I'm sure it *feels* like it's getting worse to you, but it's mainly the same but with a lotttttt more overdose deaths sprinkled in.  

I guess that depends on how those crimes are characterized and whether or not they've changed that. 

Certainly, homelessness is on the rise. 

People's pockets are strapped for cash unlike ever before. Inflation is at highs. 

There certainly seems to be a lot more unrest than used to be. 

Those things all combine to create a negative reaction to society. 

I'm with you on overdoses and suicides, though. I've been worried about those since 2020 and it seems to be a bad dream come true.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, VintageComics said:
On 2/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, manetteska said:

Not true at all. It's not a catch phrase. It's very specific. But this probably isn't the place to discuss it. 

Yes, the definition is clear. However, people overlook (either willfully or ignorantly) the definition and use it as they wish, usually with a negative connotation. 

On 2/15/2023 at 9:54 PM, manetteska said:
On 2/15/2023 at 7:03 PM, VintageComics said:
On 2/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, manetteska said:

Yes, the definition is clear. However, people overlook (either willfully or ignorantly) the definition and use it as they wish, usually with a negative connotation. 

Fair enough.

I used it in the way it was supposed to be used in my 1st post. 

On 2/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, Beastfeast said:

Don't let me stop you from going off but most crime - including violent crime - is still at 40+ year lows.  

I'm sure it *feels* like it's getting worse to you, but it's mainly the same but with a lotttttt more overdose deaths sprinkled in.  

Not disputing the 40 year-low. It's interesting how the media plays such a role in steering how we think about crime, especially when you look at basic examples. In NYC, 1828 people were murdered in 1980. In 2021, 458. That's a drastic difference considering the population of NYC was 7 million people and in 2021 it was 8.4 million. Not that NYC speaks for everywhere, but I found it interesting that there was a time when there were way more murders with way less people in that city.

It's a well stoked fear that more homeless people will somehow translate into more people desperate for valuables and they'll resort to home invasions. I understand people's concerns but find it curious since nearly every single case of documented comic theft from conventions and comic shops and never homeless people but upper middle class people who know the hobby and have eBay accounts, etc. They can afford to travel to shows, travel to different states, hit stores, hit cons, etc. etc. etc. But sure, it's homeless people you've got to worry about.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

It's a well stoked fear that more homeless people will somehow translate into more people desperate for valuables and they'll resort to home invasions. I understand people's concerns but find it curious since nearly every single case of documented comic theft from conventions and comic shops and never homeless people but upper middle class people who know the hobby and have eBay accounts, etc. They can afford to travel to shows, travel to different states, hit stores, hit cons, etc. etc. etc. But sure, it's homeless people you've got to worry about.

You've mischaracterized the discussion.

Nobody that I saw stated it's homeless people stealing all these comics. 

As someone who is either actual friends with some of the homeless people in my area or I just know them better than the average person, I know this not true.

More correctly, the discussion was about economic pressures as well as many other issues creating an increase in crime.

There are obviously MANY factors that cause increases in crime, but IMO most of them can be traced back to poor decisions that have steered society into a negative place.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:47 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

Is anyone suggesting homeless people stole the comics? 

Also, an increase in homelessness DOES translate to more crime in an area.  There's lots and lots of nuance regarding that increase but it's real.