• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the worst comics seller's website?
3 3

75 posts in this topic

Bouncing around from site to site on occasion and I have to say that Reece's Rare Comics' site is very nice. Easy to navigate also. I've bought from them on eBay and didn't know they had a site until I went looking. (Also, books are considerably lesser than eBay price I guess because of fees; that's the same with mycomicshop).

https://reececomics.com

Edited by minutekev@50

Not a comic shop, but I find Heritage Auctions such a chore to navigate. There are so many layers and elements to each page, I find it overwhelming. CLink may be a tad outdated, but finding a given book for sale or auction is simple. With Heritage, I end up getting the last 400 sales of the book on the site, tons of irrelevant results, upcoming auctions, etc. I just find their interface really loud. 

On 2/20/2023 at 6:30 AM, DavidTheDavid said:
On 2/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, minutekev@50 said:

It is REALLY a chore to navigate - that said I bought from Doug in the past and he's got great stuff. Great grader.

Great, I just placed my first order with him. :)

He had ALL the run copies I needed for a title in stock, in high grade, so I'm eager to see them and hopefully send him another want list.

Let me know how that works out - I have never ordered from him before (that I can recall).

On 2/20/2023 at 10:03 AM, minutekev@50 said:

Bouncing around from site to site on occasion and I have to say that Reece's Rare Comics' site is very nice. Easy to navigate also. I've bought from them on eBay and didn't know they had a site until I went looking. (Also, books are considerably lesser than eBay price I guess because of fees; that's the same with mycomicshop).

https://reececomics.com

It does a great job serving up eye candy with its thumbnails. I WANT to browse on that site.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:02 AM, lizards2 said:

Let me know how that works out - I have never ordered from him before (that I can recall).

I haven't ordered from him in awhile, but there's a lot of folks on here that will vouch for Doug. The stuff I got from him was mostly mid-grade runs (I think some old House of Mystery/Secrets titles). His stuff is usually spot on with grading. (Gary Dolgoff is another good one, especially if you're looking for runs/reader copies of stuff). 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:01 AM, Kripsys99 said:

Not a comic shop, but I find Heritage Auctions such a chore to navigate. There are so many layers and elements to each page, I find it overwhelming. CLink may be a tad outdated, but finding a given book for sale or auction is simple. With Heritage, I end up getting the last 400 sales of the book on the site, tons of irrelevant results, upcoming auctions, etc. I just find their interface really loud. 

Heritage is a great site to peruse stuff.  It's like history for sale with all the stuff they sell on there.  But specifically on comics, I agree with you.  It's like I run into multiple layers of bidding with variant ways of getting that last bid in, ads for 27 different auctions most of which start weeks from now, then on top of that there's that ever-loving buyer's premium where you go from "I paid this for that" to "I paid what for that?" in a click if you're not careful with your math.  I love sites like ComicLink and Heritage where the BP is reasonable, the bidding is straight-forward, etc.  I know what I want to pay for something, drop that price in, and move on.  I like their sites being in the simple-to-read grid format.  I do understand some people not liking CLink's search features or "they've got too damn many comics to go through in most of their auctions!" if you aren't targeting specific comics when you go into the auction, but I don't have any problems with it.  My only problem with CLink is probably sometimes I find erroneous descriptions on some of their lots, though it's not frequent.  My only problem with MCS is the auction extension if a bid comes in during the final 3 minutes.  If you've got a set budget to spend, it makes it a pain to determine "how much you have left" for that auction when you may or may not have won the last couple of items.  But definitely not complaining about that - just a note.  They're both FAR from being the worst sites out there.

Edited by Telegan

On 2/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, F For Fake said:

100% I truly have no idea what is going on with Heritage's site, so I don't bid over there. Plus the whole live bidding thing on top of the opening bids...I understand why sellers like it, but as a bidder ,I'm not able to sit around and watch all of those auctions end, or call in, or whatever it is you're supposed to do. With CLink I just throw my bid in, and forget about it. It ends when it ends, and I win what I win.  Much easier to search as well.

You do realize that you can bid any time on Heritage?

On 2/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, buttock said:

You do realize that you can bid any time on Heritage?

Right, but then the internet bidding closes and the live auction begins, right? Or am I misunderstanding? The few times I bid on Heritage (before I learned about the shilling) it seemed like the "real action" started at the live auction. I'm too absent minded to keep up with all of that stuff. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:54 AM, F For Fake said:

Right, but then the internet bidding closes and the live auction begins, right? Or am I misunderstanding? The few times I bid on Heritage (before I learned about the shilling) it seemed like the "real action" started at the live auction. I'm too absent minded to keep up with all of that stuff. 

Yeah, but it's all bidding.  If your strategy on Clink is to "set it and forget it", you can do the same on Heritage.  Most of the action on Clink doesn't happen until the last few minutes, which is kind of the same as HA.  

On 2/21/2023 at 9:59 AM, buttock said:

Yeah, but it's all bidding.  If your strategy on Clink is to "set it and forget it", you can do the same on Heritage.  Most of the action on Clink doesn't happen until the last few minutes, which is kind of the same as HA.  

200w.gif

On 2/21/2023 at 1:40 PM, blazingbob said:

Appreciate the comments in this thread about my website.

Please note that if there is functionality that you want in my website I will see if it can be implemented.  Not everything can be implemented,  sometimes the costs outweigh the benefits.

PM's are welcome.

Bob (www.highgradecomics.com)  

Love your site and your books, Bob. First place I look if I want a raw accurately graded DC book!

Heritage is favorite auction site by far.  Love the magnification when you roll over a book- big enough to make a difference, nice midpoint between thumbnail and full size.  a real time saver.  You can sort out listing by a variety of criteria.  My one big beef is that they stack the covers of multiple book lots.  I get it if there's like 20 books, but maybe up to 6 they could just lay them out.  I hate not seeing what I'm bidding on.  

The all time worst for me was Comic Connect. Full disclosure that I have not been there for a few years after being frustrated to the point where I just gave up on them. I could not find anything, or see what books were about to end in their auction. From my perspective everyone else is fighting for second worst site. 

On 2/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, lizards2 said:

As others have noted, Doug Sulipa is great. I have ordered from him 10 plus times over many years, mid- and high grade copies, and every comic book has been as advertised. I have paid by check and once it has cleared the comic books have been mailed to me promptly and very securely packaged.