• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Man Behind the comics said:

Hey there everybody. A word from the horse's mouth. Yes I was scammed. Yes it was probably my own fault. You see I have been collecting for 40 some years but that makes me the perfect Target for a scam like this. You see I am old school. I don't do much with cgc books and as a matter of fact I didn't even have a cgc account until tonight. So no I am not an expert in cgc counterfeits nor do I use a Jeweler's lens. I have never even cracked open a cgc book. Out of my personal collection of 50 plus long boxes less than a half of a short box  are cgc books. I truly believe that Marvel's kryptonite is the scammer that sold all of these counterfeit books. He is trying to sell his story on here just like he tried to do on my Facebook page. Marvel's kryptonite is the same person as Vera bjornsen out of Seattle on Facebook, Ryan lacklighter and Riddick somebody or other. These are all aliases. His Facebook was created an hour before he posted on my site. No photos of course. So yes I blocked him when I realized he was the scammer himself.

I don't use cgc often. I don't go by cgc prices, I go by overstreet regular book prices. I paid a fair dealer price for the Hulk number one counterfeit. Let me put it this way, I could have bought a decent car for what I paid. Yes, I told him it was worth more than my offer and even showed him examples. Yes I have a bill of sale in the scammers own handwriting to prove what I paid. Do you think I would have come out and told everyone my story for just a few thousand dollars lost? You think I would have endured the ridicule of all of the armchair cgc quarterbacks out there?

I know I will never see a penny of my money again. That's a given. I shared my story because I didn't want this scammer to take advantage of someone else. Even though I could have saved face by simply saying nothing, I didn't want any of you to fall for the same thing.

Here are a few facts. The scammer knew what he was doing. Prior to selling the Hulk comic to me he tried to sell them to a dealer on the west coast. That dealer informed him then that they were fake. So yes that means when he sold them to me he knew they were fake even if he did get them at an estate thing which I do not believe one bit. Simply for the fact that photos from the scammer have surfaced with different serial numbers for the same Hulk comic.

Fact number two, his story of them being on hibid and at an estate sale place came up false. I looked into the places where he said he purchased them. He lied.

Fact number three, I used my real name, my real email, my real phone number. So far our scammer has given at least three fake names.

Fact number four I am only one of three people that was scammed by this fellow. The other two didn't even know they were scammed until I made my announcement.

Fact number 5 when I first found out they were fake I gave the scammer the benefit of the doubt and notified him. He gave me the runaround saying he would make it right of course and then he ghosted me. I informed him that I would be contacting the police the next day and that if this was all just as misunderstanding that he should come down and give his side of the story so we could all be on the same page. I gave him that opportunity before I knew just how oceans 11 this was. 

The scammer Ryan / Riddick / Vera bjornson/marvel's kryptonite has told so many lies that he can't keep track of them all and we can easily point them out.

Thank you for coming on here and clarifying what happened.  Hopefully this prevents it from happening to someone else. 

Good luck to you. 

On 3/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, Bookery said:

Thanks.  This clarifies a very confusing situation that was spread across 2 threads, though I think in the last couple of days most of us began to figure out what was taking place, especially with the sudden burst of incoherent rants that came out of nowhere from the one poster.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't have approached him with the little bit of snark that I did, but I really wasn't expecting that response!  I was honestly trying to clarify one of his posts that I had misinterpreted, and his reply quickly verified my (and I assume a lot of other people's) suspicions of who he really was.  I tried to make peace when he then misinterpreted what I was laughing at, but whatever.  I figured the best thing to do at that point was just to disengage.

Unfortunately, he got banned before he could answer anyone else's questions, so sorry about that, everyone!

But what do I know?  I'm just a fat nerd who likes cake or something... :insane:

(:gossip: He's not wrong about the cake.)

On 3/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Man Behind the comics said:

Hey there everybody. A word from the horse's mouth. Yes I was scammed. Yes it was probably my own fault. You see I have been collecting for 40 some years but that makes me the perfect Target for a scam like this. You see I am old school. I don't do much with cgc books and as a matter of fact I didn't even have a cgc account until tonight. So no I am not an expert in cgc counterfeits nor do I use a Jeweler's lens. I have never even cracked open a cgc book. Out of my personal collection of 50 plus long boxes less than a half of a short box  are cgc books. I truly believe that Marvel's kryptonite is the scammer that sold all of these counterfeit books. He is trying to sell his story on here just like he tried to do on my Facebook page. Marvel's kryptonite is the same person as Vera bjornsen out of Seattle on Facebook, Ryan lacklighter and Riddick somebody or other. These are all aliases. His Facebook was created an hour before he posted on my site. No photos of course. So yes I blocked him when I realized he was the scammer himself.

I don't use cgc often. I don't go by cgc prices, I go by overstreet regular book prices. I paid a fair dealer price for the Hulk number one counterfeit. Let me put it this way, I could have bought a decent car for what I paid. Yes, I told him it was worth more than my offer and even showed him examples. Yes I have a bill of sale in the scammers own handwriting to prove what I paid. Do you think I would have come out and told everyone my story for just a few thousand dollars lost? You think I would have endured the ridicule of all of the armchair cgc quarterbacks out there?

I know I will never see a penny of my money again. That's a given. I shared my story because I didn't want this scammer to take advantage of someone else. Even though I could have saved face by simply saying nothing, I didn't want any of you to fall for the same thing.

Here are a few facts. The scammer knew what he was doing. Prior to selling the Hulk comic to me he tried to sell them to a dealer on the west coast. That dealer informed him then that they were fake. So yes that means when he sold them to me he knew they were fake even if he did get them at an estate thing which I do not believe one bit. Simply for the fact that photos from the scammer have surfaced with different serial numbers for the same Hulk comic.

Fact number two, his story of them being on hibid and at an estate sale place came up false. I looked into the places where he said he purchased them. He lied.

Fact number three, I used my real name, my real email, my real phone number. So far our scammer has given at least three fake names.

Fact number four I am only one of three people that was scammed by this fellow. The other two didn't even know they were scammed until I made my announcement.

Fact number 5 when I first found out they were fake I gave the scammer the benefit of the doubt and notified him. He gave me the runaround saying he would make it right of course and then he ghosted me. I informed him that I would be contacting the police the next day and that if this was all just as misunderstanding that he should come down and give his side of the story so we could all be on the same page. I gave him that opportunity before I knew just how oceans 11 this was. 

The scammer Ryan / Riddick / Vera bjornson/marvel's kryptonite has told so many lies that he can't keep track of them all and we can easily point them out.

Thanks for sharing the details and info as when I read this I was worried about slab book’s integrity, but this clarified a lot of things. Hopefully ur story helps others and prevents this scammer from scamming someone else. 

On 2/24/2023 at 5:03 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

I think you guys are overthinking it. There’s absolutely no need to reverse engineer CGC slabs and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process. There’s already millions of CGC slabs in existence. They can buy $25 slabbed books off of eBay all day long and figure out how to take it apart with minimal damage and then reassemble to hide the broken posts. They don’t need to be perfect and fool the most savvy and eagle eyed dealers and collectors. They just need to find that one person. 

Where is the #1 place to buy fake drivers license?  From the DMV.

Where is the best place to acquire new, unused CGC cases?  From the manufacturer and CGC itself.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, batman_fan said:

Where is the #1 place to buy fake drivers license?  From the DMV.

Where is the best place to acquire new, unused CGC cases?  From the manufacturer and CGC itself.

Yup. I'm not sure if it's just me, but are others finding it very easy to crack open slabs causing little-to-no damage to the case?

I've been gaining more experience cracking em for clients, and I've noticed just prying them open from the top gives me a good chance of ending up with a slab someone could reuse and seal again with glue - the only tells maybe being a small hairline crack someplace that could be excused away by offering a discount to buyers so they can re-slab it. Found it a little concerning just how easy it seems.

This is a current eBay listing wondering if it's a fake signature. Moldoff died in 2012 and it says signed in 2014. The puzzling part if it's a scam is the good long term feedback. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303127581864?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ggWFMUgfRZK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MTfgjVp4QmS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 3/15/2023 at 8:21 AM, Robert RVA said:

This is a current eBay listing wondering if it's a fake signature. Moldoff died in 2012 and it says signed in 2014. The puzzling part if it's a scam is the good long term feedback. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303127581864?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ggWFMUgfRZK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MTfgjVp4QmS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's legit. How is this even possible?

image.png.2fade8ade7dd015345d3d07224ae9d31.png

On 3/15/2023 at 7:21 AM, Robert RVA said:

As the saying goes, "Nobody ever really stays dead in comic books."

Seriously, though, that's a good catch.  I can't tell if it's fake, but it's definitely a valid CGC certification  : https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/1201739012/

I see a few comics out there that are signed by him on "2/23/12" which is only about 6 days before he died.  The one you posted may have just be a typo of the 2012 year as 2014.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:41 PM, Telegan said:

Seriously, though, that's a good catch.  I can't tell if it's fake, but it's definitely a valid CGC certification  : https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/1201739012/

I see a few comics out there that are signed by him on "2/23/12" which is only about 6 days before he died.  The one you posted may have just be a typo of the 2012 year as 2014.

^^

On 3/15/2023 at 8:41 PM, Telegan said:

Yeah might be a typo when submitting or something… 

Hello fellow comic friends

I'm about to buy a massive grail AF15 at market price, from a dealer I've known for years. I have seen the book in person too. I really have no real concerns, but then again it costs nothing to ask strangers for a second opinion, especially if dealers are capable of being tricked. Below are pics. Because it's not my book I've masked out the cgc number (I just feel weird about that), but the graders notes are below. The grader's notes match the book description perfectly in my eyes, including the hard to see in the photos piece out of the backcover. It honestly looks 100% legit but damn so did the comics at the start of this post. Thanks again for any opinions.

Title

Amazing Fantasy

Issue

Issue Date

8/62

Issue Year

Publisher

Marvel Comics

Grade

Page Quality

OFF-WHITE

Grade Date

03/27/2017

Grade Category

Universal

Grader Notes

heavy marvel chipping full right of front cover
light wear spine breaks color
light, multiple crease back cover
light, multiple crease full top of front cover
small piece out bottom of back cover
small, multiple tear cover

cgc-front.thumb.jpg.1db90914034d4bf382cc36bfb082e309.jpgnce. cgc-back.thumb.jpg.99fbd25c122968765b95ad68839738de.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.979ca6b222a7bc08f11f9bb1709b20c0.jpeg

cgc-back2.jpg