• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grade is in. ASM #194 Black Cat 1st appearance
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Could do with some help please on grading this book.

I think it’s a newsstand copy but if I’m wrong I’m sure somebody will put me right.

Deciding if it is worth me sending in for grading. 

There’s a nasty stain on the top of the back cover and I’m unsure how much this will hold it back.

Thanks for looking.

‘Chris.

8A932CE3-E9FF-4086-9541-01E82448BFB5.jpeg

4A4267AC-9945-4989-91E8-D93FEBF67CAB.jpeg

D2878F82-FB90-4325-8724-89F9EC721AE6.jpeg

E8CBFFAD-6EA9-407D-9D70-76CF21E7D765.jpeg

Edited by Count Slabula
Added pics

You are correct, this is the newsstand edition. *If* there are direct and newsstand editions, the scannable UPC is the newsstand. Direct editions may have a slash across the UPC or something like a spider-man graphic in the box. The front looks pretty solid. Maybe toward a 9.0; however, it does look like there's a water stain across the top back edge. I'd want to see the inside of the front & back cover for more staining evidence and whether or not the stain goes into the inner pages before making a definitive grade assignment. Just the staining I can see probably drops this below 6.0. That means FMV around $200, so it depends on what your plan is. Cost to grade, press, ship is around $40-50. Might look like a higher grade book in a slab for a PC, or you might just be breaking even on selling it raw vs graded depending on how you acquired it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote¯
On 2/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, scburdet said:

You are correct, this is the newsstand edition. *If* there are direct and newsstand editions, the scannable UPC is the newsstand. Direct editions may have a slash across the UPC or something like a spider-man graphic in the box. The front looks pretty solid. Maybe toward a 9.0; however, it does look like there's a water stain across the top back edge. I'd want to see the inside of the front & back cover for more staining evidence and whether or not the stain goes into the inner pages before making a definitive grade assignment. Just the staining I can see probably drops this below 6.0. That means FMV around $200, so it depends on what your plan is. Cost to grade, press, ship is around $40-50. Might look like a higher grade book in a slab for a PC, or you might just be breaking even on selling it raw vs graded depending on how you acquired it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for that scburdet.

Ive now added a couple of pics of the inside back cover. Not sure if the blue ink is overspray or just somebody’s carelessness.

The books for my own personal collection so if a get it graded it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

On 1/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, Lninefingers said:

Can still see the stain on the back post slabbing if you 're looking for it, but at a glance it looks pretty good. Congrats

I forgot to add the slabbed rear pic.

Here it is.

IMG_3012.jpeg

I'll just say it... holy mess.

(Well. I used a different 4-letter word, but I guess CGC wants it nice and clean in here -- like the back cover on that book.)

Edited by bronzemarvel