• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Me a Tale - For Those Who Love Comics
7 7

154 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 12:38 AM, Stefan_W said:

My apologies if sharing videos is not allowed, but in this video I share a deeply personal story about comic collecting when I was young. It fits in perfectly with this thread and sharing the video is easier than typing the long story out. 

I'll be back shortly, something got in my eye.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:09 PM, shadroch said:

We get near the cash register and there is a whole display of the same 3-D Batmans he had given me years before. It was originally  50 cents but was reduced to twenty nine cents.  I showed it to him, reminding him he'd given med one a few years before and how it was one of my favorite books but I'd lost the original.  He doesn't remember and doesn't care.  I ask him for a nickel, explaining that my Mom had given me a quarter.  He hems and haws and tells me if my Mom had wanted me to spend thirty cents, she'd have given it to me, but since she gave me a quarter, thats all I could spend.

And now I've got another tear in my eye for the exact opposite reason...:frown:

On 3/2/2023 at 2:09 PM, shadroch said:

His present to me( all I cared about anyway) was an oversized 3-D Batman comic that cost 50 cents

Funny, just had an email show up in my inbox, and this was featured in the subject:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/932845?utm_source=artbrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=event-auction-53&tzf=1

image.thumb.png.c7815d01455a2a39fcb90dc12c66b608.png

On 3/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Axelrod said:

I posted elsewhere my not especially exciting story about how I caught the true collector's bug at the age of 11.  I've never posted about my first comic book shop though. 

For almost two years (pretty sure), I bought strictly off the spinner racks of my local drug stores and 7-11 equivalents.  Because at that time, I didn't know any other way to do it.  This was in Metairie, LA. 

Then one day I heard about this place - a comic book store.  Like, a store that only sold comic books.  How amazing was that?  

That place was BSI comics.  Not quite close enough for me to walk or ride a bike to, but I got my dad to drive me there.  And, wow, walking into that place for the first time was like a little bit of Heaven for a boy like me.  And behind the counter was Carl Tupper, in his wheelchair.  I'll never forget him.  A true character.  He passed on 2011.  I read this obit years ago, which I feel like sharing:   

Reveal hidden contents

It is my sad duty to relate the death of Carl Tupper, proprietor for more than 30 years of BSI Comics. Carl was a true saint. A remarkable man who cruised through life with an indomitable spirit and always a smartass remark ready for any occasion. Family and friends are invited to attend a Funeral Mass at Lake Lawn Metairie Funeral Home, 5100 Pontchartrain Blvd. (in Metairie Cemetery), on Monday, January 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM. Visitation will begin at 11:00 AM until service time. Interment will be held in Lake Lawn Park Mausoleum.

Anyone in the metro area who grew up in the comics/sci-fi world in the last thirty years knew Unca Carl. (As did many who did not run in that crowd.) Face it, if you didn’t know Carl, you weren’t a true comics geek. From the early days of the Book Swap, Inc., a used paperback trading store on Kent Avenue in Metairie, to the salad days of BSI Comics just around the corner on Fairfield and later located in Fat City, Carl held court from his wheelchair, behind those huge, hand-built wooden counters, giving out free advice to anyone with ears. As he often said, “I can solve all your problems, but none of my own.”

Walk into the store happy and Carl would ask if he could have “some of what you’re on.” Enter in a foul mood and he’d flat out tell you, “Babe, you know what you’re problem is? You got a bad attitude.” Walk in with a girlfriend and the gloves were off. In fact, some people would bring new girlfriends in to test them; if they could roll with Carl’s punches, then there was hope for a serious, lasting relationship!

But even though it appeared that Carl’s business was selling funnybooks, that was just a front. Carl Tupper’s real business was teaching kids about life. Carl probably “hired” more “employees” over the years than Popeye’s ever will. It wasn’t because he needed the help -there was always at least one semi-reliable, full-time employee at the shop who could take care of most anything- but because Carl knew the kids needed the job for one reason or another. A day, a week, a month; however long that kid needed the work, Carl would always find something for them to do.

We all got paid with pizza, po-boys, free comics or paperbacks and occasionally actual cash. It must have been a drain on his finances from time to time, but Carl knew he could make a difference in our lives, and he did indeed. Even after most of us had moved on and established ourselves in the “real world,” when we came back for a visit we’d find ourselves alphabetizing the racks as we browsed or dusting, or sweeping, or moving things around the store just to pay him back a little bit and Carl would still shove a few bucks or some free merchandise into our hands. It’s just the kind of guy he was.

And through Carl, we became doctors, lawyers, police officers, teachers, retailers, comics pros, (and ams,) and a host of other professions. But above all, Carl taught us how to be friends; how to get along with each other despite our differences. If you think arguments over politics, religion and race are difficult to mediate, you ain’t seen nothing until a pack of fanboys start dissecting the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Marvel vs DC, Golden Age vs Silver Age vs Bronze Age, or Jim Shooter vs John Byrne. Carl mediated everything and you could tell that that was why he opened that store up every day. He loved the comics, but he loved his employees and customers more.

And if you had a problem, Carl was always there. Need your car or computer fixed? Need a gardener or plumber? Looking for someone to help you move? Carl knew absolutely everyone and if he sent you to them, you got a deal. BSI’s current proprietor, Jason, remarked that “Carl was a social network before the term existed” and that’s the God’s Honest Truth. I have about a dozen close friends from high school, but I have at least a hundred friends that I met through Carl and BSI. And oddly enough, about 90% of my high school friends were also BSI customers or employees. Go figure.

And without knowing it, Carl taught us all that no matter how dark the storm clouds are, the sun will eventually come back out. Faced with a myriad of health problems and operations stemming from his original stroke some forty years ago, he never complained about his problems. Yes, he came off as a sarcastic, crabby , but no matter how hard he tried to make you think that was his real self, he couldn’t hide that blinding twinkle in his eye that said, “mess, babe, life is good… enjoy it while you can.”

Repose en paix, Unc. And open a folder for me up there…

I was one of those kids. He was amazingly kind, in a crabby sort of way.  After my first visit, I was there at least 1-2x a month, right up until I turned 18 and left for college.  

That was kind of the end of my collecting days.  But my love for comics - at least the ones from my day - doesn't look like it's ever going to fade.  

I just read the Obituary...now I need MORE tissues...sniff...

On 3/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

The thing to point out, that I only realised later, was that this particular newsagent sold out of date comics. In 1973 they were still selling comics from 1968 to 1972, all with the Thorpe & Porter stamps, like the Magic Robot mentioned above. 

You were lucky. As a kid I didn’t have a newsagent nearby selling older comics, just the new distributed issues. I always looked forward to going on holiday to Blackpool or the Isle of Man where you could find late 60s Marvels and DCs. The comparative lack of availability made those finds seem very special.

It made perfect sense to us at the time.

Until 1971 and we adopted decimal currency there were 20 shillings to one £ and 12 pence to a shilling

So two shillings and sixpence bought me three ten pence comics

Imagine my horror when suddenly the prices increased to One Shilling (1/- or 12 pence) each

So in 1967 you could have purchased 80 12 cent/1 shilling comics for the price of one comic in the 2020s

if you had purchased the right 80 comics and squirrelled them away until now you,d be a millionaire

Oh for a time machine

As a very young kid, the day the large boxed 12 cents box appeared on the cover of DC comics. 10 cents was a nice round number being if I wanted, I could buy 5 new comics with my 50 cents allowance. All of a sudden it only bought 4…

I can’t imagine being a kid today buying comics. I don’t even buy new ones any more. No wonder the industry is struggling. 

On 3/1/2023 at 7:57 PM, s-man said:

As a young lad, in 1983 I was hooked on watching the animated show Spider-man and his Amazing Friends every Saturday morning.   As much as I liked Spidey, I never became a collector of his comics. It was a guest group that I fell in love with and one character from that group in particular.  The episode was A Firestar is Born and it guest starred both the X-Men and Juggernaut.  But the one character that really caught my eye was Wolverine.  Those freaky claws!  So, in August of that same year, I was sent to the local Dairy Mart to pick up cigarettes (amazing at one time they would sell to kids and even give you matches), milk and bread.  I was supposed to give my mom back the change, but I saw something that would make me into a lifetime collector, a copy of Uncanny X-Men 172 with Wolverine on the front cover and bought it.  I forget the excuse I used for buying it, but they didn't make me return it so :whee:

From that humble start, I would eventually make my way downtown and become a regular at an actual comic shop called Treasure Island, located inside a mini mall.  At the entrance stood a cardboard cutout of Blackbeard the pirate next to a treasure chest full of bundled $1 books.  As you walked in, the glass display case on the left held some nice keys that included X-Men #1 which was far beyond my reach at the time selling for $1000.  Next to the case were dollar bin books and back issues in long boxes.  My head would spin as I gazed upon the great assortment of wall books displayed, wishing my parents were millionaires so I could snatch them all up.  The place was fun and magical all at the same time.  It was also the site of one of my greatest comic collecting missteps.  A shop employee whom I had gotten to know was big on a book that had just released and he highly recommended it to me.  He handed me a copy and I took a look at the cover and flipped through it quickly.  "My money is for real mutants!" I told him as I put it back on the shelf.  Little did I know those dang mutant turtles would be big and that copy of issue #1 that I put back would be worth a pretty penny some day! :tonofbricks:  Oh well, I was pretty happy with all the X books I came away with from there and still have Wolverine's limit series I bought from them.  The place has since closed down and I was sad to see it go, but the memories remain.  

lol I remember seeing some of the X-men on VHS, checked out from the library :) those were good times. If'n you can "remember", these almost lost to time theatrics are nice to try and look back on :shy: we must preserve the hope of childhood :x

:whee: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM