• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR first comic - do you still have it? Remember it?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

When I discovered a LCS, first books I bought for my "new" collection were OMAC #1 and Human Torch #1 (1974).  Figured they'd be worth a fortune when I retired!  :shy:

At least I found Jack.  Have an OMAC #1, but not copy I bought here.  Suspect I still have that HT #1, but no idea where!  ???

Edited by PreHero

On 3/9/2023 at 1:19 AM, COI said:

I believe this was my first comic. I was 5 when this came out. I wish I still had it.

Cartoons were the gateway drug for me.

703613.jpg

I agree about the cartoon factor. Say fried green killer tomatoes, or eek the cat! Some think stuff is whacky today, but I feel it was just as whacky then lol just a different source.

Was in a confectionery in 1973 eyeing one of the spinner racks of comics when my dad said that I could pick one. I grabbed Superman 271 ("The Man Who Murdered Metropolis"). Sold my large raw collection last summer but managed to not throw out the issue that started it all. It's been coverless since the 1970s.

sup.png

Edited by Danno616

On 3/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, Gonzimodo said:

My grandma bought us some old Disney stuff (Beagle Boys and Chip & Dale) when I was little, but I think she kept them at her house, and they finally disappeared at some point.  My brother had Star Wars 1-6 and Battlestar Galactica 1-3, but he never got into comics more than that.

The first comic I actually bought was GI Joe #7.  I still have it, and it's a beater, but it holds a special place in my heart.  :luhv:

It's ironic that you mentioned your grandma and posted GI Joe 7. Every Christmas Eve, I always got a stack of comics from my grandma. GI Joe 7 (newsstand) was in the stack that I got from her on Christmas Eve in 1982.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:58 PM, Primetime said:

Feb 1980 - FF 218 was the first Marvel I can recall selecting off the spinner rack at my local 7-Eleven. This is my original copy which, oddly, is a direct copy. I did buy it at 7-Eleven which means it should have been a newsstand copy with a barcode. I asked Steve Geppi for his explanation since the direct market was introduced in 1979 and he said it was still possible back then for retailers to buy direct (larger discount but no returns) or newsstand (some discount but able to return top 1/3 of cover for a credit on the next order). The FF218 could also have been left over unsold stock from another 7-Eleven or retailer that was resold to the new retailer. 

I can recall being attracted to Spidey and the busy cover that determined my selection. I also had the opportunity to purchase one of the best OA pages from this book a few years ago. I love the Sandman/Electro last panel with interior pencils by John Byrne and inks by Joe Sinnott. 

E18E33F1-16EA-4827-B9E2-00784B05B3F1.jpeg

BCDCA04E-64E2-4B80-AB61-6A6892D23D9C.jpeg

I would've been jealous of you back in 1980 for having that issue. I had the first part of the story that was published in Spectacular Spider-Man, but I missed the FF issue with the second part when it came out. I didn't live anywhere near a comic book shop, which would've been a foreign concept anyway since I didn't know they existed then, so if I ever missed a comic when released, I was out of luck. Didn't get to read this issue until I was able to buy it at the first comic con (another foreign concept at that time) I ever attended in 1985.

No doubt my first comic was a Nursery age comic like Playhour designed for the under-5s. Or maybe even a Rupert the Bear Annual. Bedtime stories would comprise of the rhyming couplets beneath each panel.

rupert.thumb.jpg.db7bd1e4a59e8affe41f5eac849576c0.jpg

The first comic I purchased for myself would likely have been a Beano or a Dandy as they cost a mere 3d in the early 1960s. Mostly made up of one or two page humour strips containing such legends as Desperate Dan or the Bash Street Kids, along with the odd two page adventure strip they were part of everyone's childhood in the UK.

beano.thumb.jpg.7672c8ab73a3e6308c35713b5f23bcc9.jpg

The first American comic I purchased was a DC comic (actually three DC comics) that I have written about already elsewhere on this forum.

1886331398_TalesofSuspense64.thumb.JPG.27beb5414fd7bcdb9380898ff55f3442.JPG

My first ever Marvel comic was acquired a few weeks after those DCs. I was introduced to Iron Man, The Black Widow, Hawkeye and Captain America. I read and re-read every word in that comic, even the classified adverts. Adverts for other Marvel titles educated me to what else was available somewhere out there. It seemed 17 Marvel comics were available. Four Romance comics and three Westerns. Not interested in them. One War comic ditto. But that still left 8 as yet unseen comics as well as Tales of Suspense. I wondered what those other comics would be like, having only snippets of information in the Checklist on the Letters Page. I wondered if I would ever be likely to even find or ever be able to purchase those comics? Within a year to my amazement, the entire Marvel Universe was being reprinted in Black and White from the very beginning in the UK "Power comics" range but by then I had already accumulated a number of second-hand early Fantastic Four and Spider-Man etc comics. The rest is history.

002.thumb.JPG.c535ddf1e2920854e7f423081ee932b7.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.849161288a37ad8ab0c2356e489e6e53.JPG

Edited by themagicrobot

On 3/10/2023 at 7:32 AM, themagicrobot said:

No doubt my first comic was a Nursery age comic like Playhour designed for the under-5s. Or maybe even a Rupert the Bear Annual. Bedtime stories would comprise of the rhyming couplets beneath each panel.

rupert.thumb.jpg.db7bd1e4a59e8affe41f5eac849576c0.jpg

The first comic I purchased for myself would likely have been a Beano or a Dandy as they cost a mere 3d in the early 1960s. Mostly made up of one or two page humour strips containing such legends as Desperate Dan or the Bash Street Kids, along with the odd two page adventure strip they were part of everyone's childhood in the UK.

beano.thumb.jpg.7672c8ab73a3e6308c35713b5f23bcc9.jpg

The first American comic I purchased was a DC comic (actually three DC comics) that I have written about already elsewhere on this forum.

1886331398_TalesofSuspense64.thumb.JPG.27beb5414fd7bcdb9380898ff55f3442.JPG

My first ever Marvel comic was acquired a few weeks after those DCs. I was introduced to Iron Man, The Black Widow, Hawkeye and Captain America. I read and re-read every word in that comic, even the classified adverts. Adverts for other Marvel titles educated me to what else was available somewhere out there. It seemed 17 Marvel comics were available. Four Romance comics and three Westerns. Not interested in them. One War comic ditto. But that still left 8 as yet unseen comics as well as Tales of Suspense. I wondered what those other comics would be like, having only snippets of information in the Checklist on the Letters Page. I wondered if I would ever be likely to even find or ever be able to purchase those comics? Within a year to my amazement, the entire Marvel Universe was being reprinted in Black and White from the very beginning in the UK "Power comics" range but by then I had already accumulated a number of second-hand early Fantastic Four and Spider-Man etc comics. The rest is history.

002.thumb.JPG.c535ddf1e2920854e7f423081ee932b7.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.849161288a37ad8ab0c2356e489e6e53.JPG

I am so lucky to have been a US kid at the dawn of the Marvel Age. My first was Spider-Man #3. My drugstore had all of them. My first picks were always Spider-Man, FF 4, TTA with the Hulk and Strange Tales. Others if I had the money. I rarely read Thor. Just wasn’t into the whole mythology thing.