• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cosmic Aeroplane - Super Magician v3 #12
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, MrBedrock said:

mysteryinspace20.jpg

strangeadventures15.jpg

strangeadventures16.jpg

Hey, the meeting's still on with Igor at midnight, right?

I bought my AF 15 from those guys, but it wasn't one of the pedigree books.  That store was weird.  I wasn't a hippy, I just wanted to see all the comics...:bigsmile:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 3/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, sfcityduck said:

What's he say?

We mainly talked about which comics from the collection left an impression on him, and which ones he saved at the time. He doesn't have any of them any more. He is more of a book collector, though he did buy some sci-fi comics while he was here.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:07 PM, october said:

This Cosmic is my fave though. Hard to beat. 

image.jpeg.aa25c5638e6df300f65bb825ecaa8a09.jpeg

Impossible to beat! :drool:

Why do books in this pedigree sell for soo much over their same grade non ped counterparts? I mean I’ve definitely seen pedigree books in general sell for solid premiums, but Cosmic Aeroplane copies seem to go above and beyond.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Why do books in this pedigree sell for soo much over their same grade non ped counterparts? I mean I’ve definitely seen pedigree books in general sell for solid premiums, but Cosmic Aeroplane copies seem to go above and beyond.

My guess is that they are the oldest “pedigree” in the hobby. An incredible amount of very early books with totally unique markings. A lot of mystery as to why. They caused a very big buzz when the word got out. This was before the internet so word spread very slowly.

I have quite a few. Picked up over a long time. Many, were in the wild suprise finds. I don’t think I have any graded ones and if I did, I would crack them out anyway. It’s all about the checks…

On 3/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The multiples on Church, Frisco, Spokanes and others will typically exceed that of Cosmic Aero.  You may be comparing the CAs to D Copies or Rockfords which sometimes get no premium.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, adamstrange said:

The multiples on Church, Frisco, Spokanes and others will typically exceed that of Cosmic Aero.  You may be comparing the CAs to D Copies or Rockfords which sometimes get no premium.

Do you have an example of those first three exceeding Cosmic?

On 3/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, adamstrange said:

And multiples for Okajima camp copies probably top everyone - especially in lower grades.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, Sarg said:

9.6 with that spine roll? And not even a Promise book?

It doesn't look like spine roll to me; it just looks like a mis-wrap, which would not be penalized by CGC.

I'm impressed with the Cosmic Aeroplane 9.6s. I don't normally associate that pedigree with such high grades. My only example is a lowly 8.0.

ETA: I'm a little depressed now because I looked at my invoice for this book, and I noticed that I had purchased it way back in November of 2013. I can't believe 9 years and 4 months can go by that fast. :frown:

pha2.23a.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/4/2023 at 8:06 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It doesn't look like spine roll to me; it just looks like a mis-wrap, which would not be penalized by CGC.

I'm impressed with the Cosmic Aeroplane 9.6s. I don't normally associate that pedigree with such high grades. My only example is a lowly 8.0.

ETA: I'm a little depressed now because I looked at my invoice for this book, and I noticed that I had purchased it way back in November of 2013. I can't believe 9 years and 4 months can go by that fast. :frown:

pha2.23a.jpg

I'm crying more at what you got it for. lol.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It cost $800. I did not take the pedigree into account; I would have paid the same for a non-ped.

I know.  That's why I'm crying.  No chance at those prices nowadays. :D  An 8.0 Bethlehem sold for $3120 last year and a 6.0 non-pedigree sold for $1440 in January.  *sigh* If I could just go back in time and slap myself in the head.  :)

On 3/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, MrBedrock said:

http://local.sltrib.com/online/sw/cosmic/

The article linked above gives a great retrospective of The Cosmic Aeroplane Bookstore. I met Ken Sanders a few years ago when he came to a Houston antiquarian book show with Bud Plant. It was great to get to hear the back story of the collection from the guy who originally purchased it.

I grew up with a similar store "Uncle John's"... records, incense, pipes and papers anyway but no comics that I can recall lol.

lf-973x1531.jpg

img062-scaled.jpg

Edited by path4play