• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funko pops to pitch 30M of inventory into a landfill!
2 2

90 posts in this topic

Can we just all pick a landfill, like say..... Florida, and collectively agree to turn it into a worldwide Funko dump? It'd be an improvement for them and for us. 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:54 AM, Cat said:

Can we just all pick a landfill, like say..... Florida, and collectively agree to turn it into a worldwide Funko dump? It'd be an improvement for them and for us. 

Alternately, we could load all of them into a C-17 and drop the load on San Fransisco.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Alternately, we could load all of them into a C-17 and drop the load on San Fransisco.

As long as there's chaos. 

On one hand, the Mondo news is sad because Mondo made some amazing posters and prints. (They also make very cool vinyl records and toys, but I believe those lines are continuing)

The problem is that Mondo were their own worst enemy, as they made the prints practically impossible to purchase. They'd do print runs so limited, they'd sell out in SECONDS. I managed to snag a few over the years, but it was a fraction of the ones I would have purchased if I could. So collecting Mondo posters was more frustrating than enjoyable, and pushed me away from the hobby. Can't imagine i'm the only one. So, I'll miss the gorgeous art they produced, but since I was rarely able to buy it anyway, it won't make a big impact on my life.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, F For Fake said:

On one hand, the Mondo news is sad because Mondo made some amazing posters and prints. (They also make very cool vinyl records and toys, but I believe those lines are continuing)

The problem is that Mondo were their own worst enemy, as they made the prints practically impossible to purchase. They'd do print runs so limited, they'd sell out in SECONDS. I managed to snag a few over the years, but it was a fraction of the ones I would have purchased if I could. So collecting Mondo posters was more frustrating than enjoyable, and pushed me away from the hobby. Can't imagine i'm the only one. So, I'll miss the gorgeous art they produced, but since I was rarely able to buy it anyway, it won't make a big impact on my life.

My impression in my limited dealings with them was the problem wasn’t so much the limitation of the releases. 500 prints at $50 -$75 a pop plus usually an additional more limited (and more expensive) variant seemed like enough for someone who was interested enough to be there at the drop to get one. 

I think the problem is that even though they had a limit of one per customer it was clear they never found a way of effectively dealing with scalper bots.  When the clock hits 11:00:00 and it instantly goes to sold out while there’s a bunch of “pre-order” listings on eBay, clearly some have found a work-around.