• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wally Wood. 50’s comic book art at its finest.
3 3

116 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 1:07 PM, Robot Man said:

hm Don’t you have a “special issue” of that Strange Worlds 5?

Not with Wood art.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Being older has it's perks...

Many years ago when SDCC was at the old convention center and just months before he passed away, I had the honor of meeting the man. 

I had brought my MAD #1 and a few other non EC books to have him sign him. I waited in line and then it was my turn to stand in front of him. I noticed he looked real bad and tired. There was also a bit of an alcohol smell to him. I handed him my MAD and told him how much I enjoyed his work in it as a kid and how it inspired me to search out a lot of his other work. He seemed puzzled but smiled weakly at what I had brought. We shook hands and off I went. I knew he didn't;t look good but was still surprised when he passed away shortly after that.

To this day, he is firmly placed in my top 5 comic artists of all time. 

commaskfumanchu1.jpg

commaskfumanchu2.jpg

comstarpresentations3a.jpg

comstarpresentations3b.jpg

How incredible! 

I have a few plates from this portfolio: NATIONAL CARTOONISTS SOCIETY COMIC ART. I have the Eisner, Steranko, and Wood plates all signed.  I won't post a pic for "Wood-ish" reasons ( if you know Wood, you can guess why). However here is a link:

https://www.northernstarart.com/product/national-cartoonists-society-comic-art-portfolio-i-3-ltd-ed-s-n-complete-sets/

It's the one with the girl in the tree. 

On 3/11/2023 at 5:57 PM, BitterOldMan said:

To those too lazy to look up the comics that I listed,

Dorothy Lamour 2  credited to Wood, but 🤢17986020-AD43-4603-89FA-00726396A118.thumb.jpeg.7d19b7141951aa91dcb87bff4217e5f9.jpegB14673F5-9365-4783-8E88-C594B0D1D71F.thumb.jpeg.962e90dfce6695576e934f7a83ca2a8e.jpeg

Good Lord. Who was the inker who absolutely destroyed Wood's pencils? 

I also have this WW artists edition book, only the 1st print. It's a whopping 15" x 22" and 144 pages in b&w. There are a few of these, highly recommended!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275350602435?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lefrAfTXRTa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BN7Dc_4BTJO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

On 3/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, pmpknface said:

I have a few plates from this portfolio: NATIONAL CARTOONISTS SOCIETY COMIC ART. I have the Eisner, Steranko, and Wood plates all signed.  I won't post a pic for "Wood-ish" reasons ( if you know Wood, you can guess why). However here is a link:

https://www.northernstarart.com/product/national-cartoonists-society-comic-art-portfolio-i-3-ltd-ed-s-n-complete-sets/

It's the one with the girl in the tree. 

I think that one might be safe for the boards, actually.  I wouldn't recommend posting The Disneyland Memorial Orgy here, though.