• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wally Wood. 50’s comic book art at its finest.
3 3

116 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 8:13 PM, OtherEric said:

I think that one might be safe for the boards, actually.  I wouldn't recommend posting The Disneyland Memorial Orgy here, though.

I'd rather not risk it. And if anyone hasn't seen that referenced image...

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/wally-wood-disneyland-memorial-orgy-black-light-p-4553-c-9fc438b8f1

I didn't know there was a color version, I had always seen it in b&w.

It would also be remiss to leave out...

https://cloudfour.com/thinks/22-panels-that-always-work-wally-woods-legendary-productivity-hack/

image.thumb.png.7522d148196bad7570ce0eec942e2e15.png

I always loved the Wood quote, "Never draw anything you can copy, never copy anything you can trace, never trace anything you can cut out and paste up."

On 3/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, pmpknface said:

I always loved the Wood quote, "Never draw anything you can copy, never copy anything you can trace, never trace anything you can cut out and paste up."

People never seem to include what I've heard is the final part of the quote, though: "Then draw the **** out of what's left!"

On 3/10/2023 at 9:50 PM, OtherEric said:

I've said this many times before... there was never a comic book artist better than Wally Wood on a good day.  The problem is, he had plenty of bad days, too...

Wish I had grabbed a better copy of this, but happy to have it at all... Weird Science is getting hard to find these days.

Weird_Science_20.jpg

I always wanted this book, so jumped on a 3.0 copy for a steal-of-a-price back in January (which hopefully stays a steal-of-a-price down the road... lol).  What's weird, though, just last month I thought I saw at least 3 or 4 of these up for sale and a couple of them were in the 3.0-4.0 range.  I don't think it's that rare a comic by GA standards, but I guess it depends on whether and when people decide to let loose of them.  Keep your eyes open - they were out there recently.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, Telegan said:

I always wanted this book, so jumped on a 3.0 copy for a steal-of-a-price back in January (which hopefully stays a steal-of-a-price down the road... lol).  What's weird, though, just last month I thought I saw at least 3 or 4 of these up for sale and a couple of them were in the 3.0-4.0 range.  I don't think it's that rare a comic by GA standards, but I guess it depends on whether and when people decide to let loose of them.  Keep your eyes open - they were out there recently.

To be fair, I don’t think any of the EC SF books are particularly rare.  But they’re definitely jumping in price recently, and you do need to move quickly when they show.  EC’s disappeared almost instantly at Emerald City Comic Con last week, for instance.