• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5 M-SHE-U Failures
4 4

505 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

it is poor story telling and poor character. Ri-Ri is an awful character following in the footsteps of Rey in Star Wars: just simply is the best and has no character journey. Cassie from Quantumania is yet another teen girl that can build a device that can create a portal to the quantum realm and build her own ant suit.

You forgot about Shuri.  

-J.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:56 PM, Artboy99 said:

it is poor story telling and poor character. Ri-Ri is an awful character following in the footsteps of Rey in Star Wars: just simply is the best and has no character journey. Cassie from Quantumania is yet another teen girl that can build a device that can create a portal to the quantum realm and build her own ant suit.

I agree with Cassie but man to me they made her unlikable for most of that movie.  She was very self righteous and put down her Dad at least 3 times I can remember. In other words she was nothing like she was in the first 2 films.  I know she was a kid in the first 2 films but it was a 180 personality change. 

On 3/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, Zonker said:

This.

Entirely legitimate criticism of the recent films is undercut by the banner headline, which makes it sound like a middle-aged fanboy whining about who let these nasty girls in to play with our toys?  

I don't have a problem with the filmmakers checking whatever diversity boxes they want in the service of a good story.  The problem comes if those in charge think getting the politics "right" (whether you agree with them or not) is more important than getting the [b[]s[/b]cript and characters right.  

Where the "M-She-U" phrase has its advantage is that the problems with Phase Bore (my preferred terminology) are perpetuated now in Phase Five.

Any suggestions? Phase Deprive? Phase Dive?

On 3/15/2023 at 7:09 PM, drotto said:

Biggest problem is they stopped writing characters with actual story arcs or flaws.  When we get a new character, they are already, the smartest, the most powerful, lack any significant character flaws, and are already the best in their given talent set or power set.  They are written so they do not need to change. They never need to earn anything, we are just supposed to like and support them, because they are the next greatest thing. Before, the characters always had flaws.  They always needed to improve and grow. 

Now when they are introduced the story arc always seems to be, you always could do this, you just needed to believe in yourself. That's it.  That applies to America, Riri, Shuri, Capitan Marvel,  new Hawkeye, and on and on. That story gets really boring when told repeatedly. 

You hit a homerun with this post. Disney Marvel became boring. Was all in with Wanda Vision  and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, than after Loki, Moon Knight and She-Hulk I asked myself why am I watching this stuff? So many better entertainment alternatives. 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:48 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Yes.  Coming to realize how amazing and perfect you always were is not a legitimate "hero's journey".  It's tiresome and obnoxious at this point.  

-J.

Are you kidding me that was the best part of Captain Marvel.  Just showing her standing up every time was historic character storytelling.  It's why the next movie will break records....