• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5 M-SHE-U Failures
4 4

505 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 2:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

Nice to post it in this thread as if this is another battle in an imagined war of the superhero sexes. If folks think this means the MCU goes back to being a sausage party, well Kevin Feige is probably as much of a champion of women superheroes as Alonso is. 

Maybe it just has more to do with Disney and Marvel’s own statements about quality over quantity and the public issue that VFX studios have had with Marvel Studios lately. And it so happens that Victoria Alonso is the head of Marvel’s VFX. Yeah it’s a shock but it’s not really a shock. Here’s a story clipping about the VFX studios issue with Alonso that may or may not be legit:

315904DE-A82D-4C0C-AC22-C2E1FECA34CD.thumb.jpeg.7fa3025564ac7ce582bac6fb11a0437d.jpeg

On 3/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, drotto said:

I do not necessarily think Feige must go (but I am close), but I think Iger should insist someone needs to be brought in to "help" him.

I have never been able to figure out why Feige decided to emulate the Marvel Now circa 2015 as his template for the MCU going forward.  You have decades of great material, and he decided to mine an era that is pretty much acknowledged as a failure in the comics. Those stories and most of the characters had already been rejected by fans, but hey we can make this work on film? Just dumb.

The Jason Aaron run on Thor is one of the best eras of Thor ever, up there with Lee-Kirby and Walt Simonson’s. As far as Love and Thunder goes, any perceived weaknesses of the movie were not the fault of Thor’s circa 2015 comics stories. Maybe movie Gorr should’ve been handled differently.

Oof, youtube videos over this? Professional complainers will never not crack me up. 

All of these MCU projects cost the same to view as what you'd pay for a couple of monthly comic books, most of which are terrible. 

I couldn't imagine spending longer than the 60 seconds I took to write this post on any of this stuff. 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:49 PM, jdandns said:

Oof, youtube videos over this? Professional complainers will never not crack me up. 

All of these MCU projects cost the same to view as what you'd pay for a couple of monthly comic books, most of which are terrible. 

I couldn't imagine spending longer than the 60 seconds I took to write this post on any of this stuff. 

All you need do is look at the views numbers of these YouTube videos to understand why they do it. Views means money for the YouTuber, and riling up the mob is one sure way to get those views.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

All you need do is look at the views numbers of these YouTube videos to understand why they do it. Views means money for the YouTuber, and riling up the mob is one sure way to get those views.

Sad, but true.

Imagine using that same energy to, for instance, create better stories instead of just deriding the ones that currently exist to a mob for profits. 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:00 PM, jdandns said:

Sad, but true.

Imagine using that same energy to, for instance, create better stories instead of just deriding the ones that currently exist to a mob for profits. 

I appreciate you investing the time to post based on the concerns noted earlier.

But are you assuming if a large portion of fans are not happy with how Phase IV progressed, they should just suck it up and hold on for Phase V? I'm asking. Not attacking.

If it's longtime comic book buyers specifically, I'm saying they don't matter to the producers of the films at all. They (well, we) are a very, very small portion of the ticket buyers for any of these movies, which is a big part of why there is no attempt to cater to us, and why our collective complaints, whether mild or intense, will continue to fall on deaf ears. The non-comic reader ticket sales alone will ensure the movies keep getting made, and those folks lack both ability and reason to complain like us about these matters. All they have to do is stop going to movies and stop watching the TV shows, but will they? Youtube videos sure won't be convincing them one way or the other, so while it might feel good to vent along with them, they are ultimately a colossal waste of time.  

On 3/20/2023 at 5:41 PM, jdandns said:

If it's longtime comic book buyers specifically, I'm saying they don't matter to the producers of the films at all. They (well, we) are a very, very small portion of the ticket buyers for any of these movies, which is a big part of why there is no attempt to cater to us, and why our collective complaints, whether mild or intense, will continue to fall on deaf ears. The non-comic reader ticket sales alone will ensure the movies keep getting made, and those folks lack both ability and reason to complain like us about these matters. All they have to do is stop going to movies and stop watching the TV shows, but will they? Youtube videos sure won't be convincing them one way or the other, so while it might feel good to vent along with them, they are ultimately a colossal waste of time.  

Corporate Social Media Analysts (we have them at my company) constantly monitor for brand-related topics via Twitter, Instagram and even Youtube. And they even hire third-party companies to do this leading to a Brand Index Rating on how the company outputs are perceived by key stakeholders (e.g. customers, shareholders, media).

Yes, they do get such feedback. And especially the higher the mentions, engagements and potential impressions, the more attention it gets. I get a report like this every day that shows me the most popular topics, reactions to the topic and a rating how concerned I should be about the topic.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:41 PM, jdandns said:

If it's longtime comic book buyers specifically, I'm saying they don't matter to the producers of the films at all. They (well, we) are a very, very small portion of the ticket buyers for any of these movies, which is a big part of why there is no attempt to cater to us, and why our collective complaints, whether mild or intense, will continue to fall on deaf ears. The non-comic reader ticket sales alone will ensure the movies keep getting made, and those folks lack both ability and reason to complain like us about these matters. 

Exactly my point earlier today in the Shazam thread.

These films are no longer being made for us (as in...old school comic collectors now in their 40s-50s) - but are driven by the general (i.e., non-comic familiar) public.

In the grand (box office) scheme of things, we don't matter.

Yes - non-comic reader ticket sales are down overall - but that's as much due to technology shifts as the quality (or lack thereof) of Marvel Phase IV, etc.

Overall theatrical sales are still down - largely because more folks today have large flat screen TV / home theater setups - and the various streaming services virtually guarantee you can now watch any movie at home just 4-6 months later.

That's a true sea change in how Americans consume movies.

In addition, I think we've past the apex of comic book movies. The best characters have nearly all (The Flash aside) had their stories told on screen, by solid writers and directors.

Superhero movies had an unprecedented 20 year run, from 2000 (X-Men) to Avengers: Endgame (2019).

Hard for me to say whether the peak was 2008 (the twin triumphs of The Dark Knight and Iron Man) or 2012 (Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Chronicle) - but what both of those years had in common was not just truly superior films -- but also genuine excitement about the cliffhangers and road ahead.

Recent product (overall) hasn't been great and (more importantly) hasn't generated rank-and-file excitement about what's next.

Honestly, I think the last year the general public was truly excited about what's next in superhero movies was 2018.

Why?

Because that year we we were just coming out of Wonder Woman, and had Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther, Into the Spider-Verse and Deadpool 2.

All were well-written, well-received and had non-comic book nerds genuinely excited about what was next.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:41 PM, MetaHuman said:

If Alonso is out, than good. As head of VFX, she definitely failed (see She-Hulk). Also, if I remember correctly, she also didn't like the name "X-Men". If she's out, then there's less chance the X-Men will be re-named something ridiculous like "The Mutants". 

That's her. She was also the Fox Studios integration executive for Marvel Properties when Disney was working to finalize the acquisition.

Where do you think this line came from? Ignoring she said the same thing in her Nuke The Fridge interview. Only one guess.

Alonso leaving is so much more than the VFX angle.  She embodies Representation, it's what she fights for,  but apparently Disney is no longer willing to worship at that altar. Money talks, after all.

I bet she wasn't down with kneeling before Zod. Buh bye!

On 3/21/2023 at 7:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thank god. It's been clear to me for a long time that she's a primary force behind the things that make you roll your eyes at the MCU.

While parts of this may be true, this was primarily a money decision. Eliminating her will not fix the problems. As the producer in charge of overall production, special effects, and scheduling many of the current cost over runs are easy to blame on her. When almost every film is missing deadlines,  having massive reshoots, and poor CGI, these are the exact things she is supposed to be preventing.  Those are also very expensive items. Iger is cutting costs, and what better person to blame then person essentially in charge of quality control and budgets.

Edited by drotto

On 3/21/2023 at 9:30 AM, drotto said:

While parts of this may be true, this was primarily a money decision. Eliminating her will not fix the problems. As the producer in charge of overall production, special effects, and scheduling many of the current cost over runs are easy to blame on her. When almost every film is missing deadlines,  having massive reshoots, and poor CGI, these are the exact things she is supposed to be preventing.  Those are also very expensive items. Iger is cutting costs, and what better person to blame then person essentially in charge of quality control and budgets.

It was a money decision in the sense that her decisions costed the company revenue by prioritizing sentiments rather than technical achievements.

people are foolish to think this is the solution, Marvel/Disney have bigger issues than one person, it's the universe they have built

hard to fix at this point, time to blow it up