• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 vs other grades
4 4

83 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2023 at 11:08 PM, xriddx said:

I understand the rarity argument, but for collecting why does one go for such high grades? 

It makes no sense that any grade sells for more than another when....

Screenshot_20230323_073452_Reddit~2.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 3/27/2023 at 4:35 AM, Sigur Ros said:

It makes no sense that any grade sells for more than another when....

Screenshot_20230323_073452_Reddit~2.jpg

Well, how about if I see your 3-step mid-grade incremental upgrade and raise you a 4-step HG incremental upgrade:  :whatthe:   lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7192-92063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81046.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

To each their own, but guess it made sense for the buyers to pay more than double for the 9.6 as compared to the 9.0, and then to pay more than double again for the 9.8 as compared to the 9.6, even though in all cases they were THE EXACT SAME COPY of the book.  doh!  (shrug)

Especially since grading is still really more of a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called expert one) at the time a book crosses a graders table as clearly evident by this copy of Crackajack Funnies 9 here.  Interesting to note that the 2 defects as detailed in the Graders Notes for the CGC 9.0 graded copy is still visually evident on the CGC 9.8 graded copy of the book.  :facepalm:

Then again, on the other hand, grading could also be based upon the current business agenda of the day as evident by the Promise Collection submitted by Heritage.   Especially since we've now seen over a hundred of them come back to market, and surprise, surprise, nobody save for Ritter (with only the one successful upgrade to date) dares even to resubmit these books for a potential upgrade in this day and age where it's all about the CPR game, save I guess for the grading of the Promise Collection.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, how about if I see your 3-step mid-grade incremental upgrade and raise you a 4-step HG incremental upgrade:  :whatthe:   lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7192-92063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81046.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

To each their own, but guess it made sense for the buyers to pay more than double for the 9.6 as compared to the 9.0, and then to pay more than double again for the 9.8 as compared to the 9.6, even though in all cases they were THE EXACT SAME COPY of the book.  doh!  (shrug)

Especially since grading is still really more of a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called expert one) at the time a book crosses a graders table as clearly evident by this copy of Crackajack Funnies 9 here.  Interesting to note that the 2 defects as detailed in the Graders Notes for the CGC 9.0 graded copy is still visually evident on the CGC 9.8 graded copy of the book.  :facepalm:

Then again, on the other hand, grading could also be based upon the current business agenda of the day as evident by the Promise Collection submitted by Heritage.   Especially since we've now seen over a hundred of them come back to market, and surprise, surprise, nobody save for Ritter (with only the one successful upgrade to date) dares even to resubmit these books for a potential upgrade in this day and age where it's all about the CPR game, save I guess for the grading of the Promise Collection.  :devil:

That's why I don't understand why people put so much trust and value in CGC grading when everyone knows they are all over the place.  It's ridiculous.

And yes, the Promise Collection is well known as a complete joke. They needed it to be a high grade collection for the publicity so they made sure it was...despite a number of them having (ignored) incorrect back covers, and ridiculous grades.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sigur Ros said:

That's why I don't understand why people put so much trust and value in CGC grading when everyone knows they are all over the place.  It's ridiculous.

And yes, the Promise Collection is well known as a complete joke. They needed it to be a high grade collection for the publicity so they made sure it was...despite a number of them having (ignored) incorrect back covers, and ridiculous grades.

It’s the market. 

That’s what’s so funny when people argue “who cares about the grade!”

:preach:

The market does. 

No one cares about the individual. No one is following the individual’s story or their journey on grading.

The market just cares about the value, and the value is measured by the number in the left hand corner.

The market does not care how the number got there.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Based on my experience over many years, all "credible professional comic book grading" company's grades "all over the place." Of course, one could argue what is/constitutes a "credible professional comic book grading" company as well as "all over the place." However, in my view, CGC should have done and be doing incredibly much much much ... better than what it has done and is doing. Unfortunately, I don't see it improving, likely getting worse, but I will enjoy being incorrect.

I would have paid more for the 9.0. Of course, I would never have purchased such a comic book because its not in my "wheelhouse."

I love writing and saying "wheelhouse." :cloud9:

On 3/28/2023 at 1:39 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I would have paid more for the 9.0. Of course, I would never have purchased such a comic book because its not in my "wheelhouse."

I love writing and saying "wheelhouse." :cloud9:

Is it possible that continuously not encountering actual wheelhouses is in my wheelhouse? hm

Edited by valiantman

On 3/27/2023 at 9:31 PM, D2 said:

It’s the market. 

That’s what’s so funny when people argue “who cares about the grade!”

:preach:

The market does. 

No one cares about the individual. No one is following the individual’s story or their journey on grading.

The market just cares about the value, and the value is measured by the number in the left hand corner.

The market does not care how the number got there.

I don't disagree.

But an informed market knows the number is often random and will look over the book inside the slab.

Never seen anyone at a show buy a slab without looking at the book, or online without pictures.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:16 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I don't disagree.

But an informed market knows the number is often random and will look over the book inside the slab.

Never seen anyone at a show buy a slab without looking at the book, or online without pictures.

True. Not all - same grades - are created equally. 

I would agree that there are a lot of factors that are involved, but much like any other market, when it’s booming, what’s inside doesn’t matter as much. 

In a buyer’s market, people can afford to be picky, but in a seller’s market, that book is getting sold either way. 

On 3/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, valiantman said:

I have a particularly "favorite" comic which I have been buying once or twice a year, already CGC slabbed, for over 20 years.

I have 2 CGC 9.8s, 12 CGC 9.6s, 14 CGC 9.4s, 2 CGC 9.2s, 1 CGC 8.0, and a Signature Series CGC 9.6.

Guessing it’s Harbinger 1?

On 3/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, Ken Aldred said:
On 3/16/2023 at 2:18 PM, valiantman said:

I have a particularly "favorite" comic which I have been buying once or twice a year, already CGC slabbed, for over 20 years.

I have 2 CGC 9.8s, 12 CGC 9.6s, 14 CGC 9.4s, 2 CGC 9.2s, 1 CGC 8.0, and a Signature Series CGC 9.6.

Guessing it’s Harbinger 1?

That's it. (thumbsu

I did put "favorite" in quotes, though, because there are also a few other books where I have done something similar.

It does look like the Light Shadow on the back cover got lightened somewhat. (HOP, BLED) Or it could just be the picture didn't pick it up as much.

I stopped caring and I'm submitting EVERYTHING. Some of them had detached middle pages and value stamps cut (in one case ripped) out and I don't care. I'm buying raw books from the 5 LCSs near me and submitting every single one that I pick up. Not cleaning. Not pressing. I'm just going for the slab. Golden Age to Modern. I don't care about keys either. I just want a badass cover.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:50 PM, grendel013 said:

I stopped caring and I'm submitting EVERYTHING. Some of them had detached middle pages and value stamps cut (in one case ripped) out and I don't care. I'm buying raw books from the 5 LCSs near me and submitting every single one that I pick up. Not cleaning. Not pressing.

The boys at CGC thank you for your undying support and business, however, the ownership group at CCG also wants you to send your undying love and books to CCS for cleaning and pressing prior to having them graded.  lol

As far as buying during a low market/ buyers market:

does it make sense on moderns to go for lower grades that drop more in value during a low/bear market?

for example a 9.2 drops a lot more could that be a better deal in long run and you try to resell during next comic bull run. Vs a 9.8 that doesn’t have significant “discount” during recessions?

Then during the bull run the 9.8 has a smaller increase 

im just throwing thoughts out there

On 4/10/2023 at 2:09 PM, xriddx said:

As far as buying during a low market/ buyers market:

does it make sense on moderns to go for lower grades that drop more in value during a low/bear market?

for example a 9.2 drops a lot more could that be a better deal in long run and you try to resell during next comic bull run. Vs a 9.8 that doesn’t have significant “discount” during recessions?

Then during the bull run the 9.8 has a smaller increase 

im just throwing thoughts out there

I have a bunch of modern 9.8 that are worth, for example, -$25. However, I'm holding out until I i can sell them for $1. :wink:

Joking aside, if I am correctly reading your post, I will argue that presently most graded/slabbed moderns, especially in 9.2, are pretty much worthless and will very likely remain so. (Still, never say never.) Granted, there are also many 9.8 that are, perhaps, worth a few more dollars than the cost of slabbing. However, add the associated costs and they also often result in a loss. However, a search of ebay does show that some folks (I'll write, collectors) pay above the "going rate" for some of these 9.8 comic books and, thus, some sellers makes a few bucks.

Please correct me as necessary as you may have more knowledge than I in this area.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Change "makes" to "make"; "i" for "I."